Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsmumbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Called "Finger Tips". Talks about how to reset the iPhone and assign ringers and mail settings and locking the iPhone with a number lock, etc.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
The big news in these new videos is that you get individual ring tones with individual people. This makes it all the more sillier if you still stuck with the preset 25 rongtones. (Which the iPhone fan community is split between "that's a terrible oversight" and "you shouldn't care; Steve knows what's best for you; these aren't the droids you're looking for.")

Also, you can set a 4-digit numeric passcode, but it will still let you make an emergency call with the code, and conecting the phone to it's "daddy" computer resets the passcode.

I agree, the guy's voice does change; it might even be a different microphone and studio.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
The big news in these new videos is that you get individual ring tones with individual people. This makes it all the more sillier if you still stuck with the preset 25 rongtones. (Which the iPhone fan community is split between "that's a terrible oversight" and "you shouldn't care; Steve knows what's best for you; these aren't the droids you're looking for.")

Way to miscategorize people. Even with contact specific rings, 25 is enough for most people. People don't need a unique ringtone for every person they have ever talked to. You would not remember them anyways.

As for not caring, has nothing to do with Steve knowing better, has everything to do with really not caring. The appeal of ringtones covers a very narrow band of consumers. Sure people don't hate ringtones across the board in a general sense. But most people don't care if they have 5000 ringtones, or their favorite song in there. If it is, okay, but not exactly a deal breaker.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
is it me or does the guys voice change heaps when he starts talking about assigning photos and ringtones to contacts......

He voice does change.

Wonder if anyone will use the 2237 passcode to lock their iPhones.

Whenever it is turned on or wakes from sleep, this would get annoying. I personally want a passcode when it is turned on but not when it is woke from sleep.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Whenever it is turned on or wakes from sleep, this would get annoying. I personally want a passcode when it is turned on but not when it is woke from sleep.

I second that - it would get on your nerves pretty quick.

TurboPGT

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
sorry nm, cool vids. I like the mail prefs a LOT. Can really get wnat you want and limit the bulk.

ozthegweat

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Switzerland
I second that - it would get on your nerves pretty quick.

I don't know how it is in the US, but here in Europe, every phone requires a password on starting up. This is not a password of the phone itself, but of the SIM card (and as we have GSM in Europe, we all have SIM cards).

So I assume that you will have to enter a password every time you turn on your iPhone.

You can configure your SIM card not to ask for a code on turning your phone on, but this has to be supported by your phone, as it is a menu option.

So I think we will see in about 8 hours if the iPhone asks for a code and if this can be disabled. But hey, I don't care, I hardly ever shut off my phone.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
But most people don't care if they have 5000 ringtones, or their favorite song in there. If it is, okay, but not exactly a deal breaker.

I agree. I like to customize my ringtones, but I can probably figure out how anyway. However, I don't even use ringtones anymore because I'm usually at work where it's distracting (although our secretary hasn't figured that out yet), or it's in my backpack where I don't here it over city noise and miss calls. But I always hear or feel a vibration.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Way to miscategorize people. Even with contact specific rings, 25 is enough for most people. People don't need a unique ringtone for every person they have ever talked to. You would not remember them anyways.

As for not caring, has nothing to do with Steve knowing better, has everything to do with really not caring. The appeal of ringtones covers a very narrow band of consumers. Sure people don't hate ringtones across the board in a general sense. But most people don't care if they have 5000 ringtones, or their favorite song in there. If it is, okay, but not exactly a deal breaker.

Translation - "You shouldn't care"

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
I'd really rather all phones did away with songs for ringtones, or at the very least, severely limited the volume of the ringer if a song were being used.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
A finger tip?

What about people (uhmm mostly girls) with long nails?

Like those girls who type on a laptop keyboard and you see them typing almost horizontally. It is almost impossible to type on a powerbook/MBP with those long nails... and the awful sound of a nail screech. ARGHH!

Not to mention scratches...

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
As far as ringtones go, I think we can use the AppleTV as a good example of where within hours of the product hitting the street there were hacks popping up everywhere.

I myself don't have the time or the inclination to go hacking up a nicely integrated design for unpredictable and/or warranty-voiding results. But some people will do it and satisfy the appetites of those who can't wait for Apple to resolve the issue.

I think that features such as the magnifying glass for editing are pretty clever... but what really fascinates me is how the overall product and software design and integration have a tremendous impact on service and usability.

An excellent example is the registration process. In nearly every other case, you'd have to get on the phone or in the store with the carrier and go through a 30-45 minute process of getting your phone configured and running. Here, less than five minutes in an idiot-proof, easy to use interface (iTunes) gets the user set up in the convenience of their own home.

Few in the media have observed the significance of this... as the bar has been rising on consumer expectations for instant gratification: No one likes to wait 24 hours to fully charge their phone the first time around. Rapid chargers that were once $100 and optional are now pretty much standard on every phone... and now this.

Apple's attention to little details that enhance usability and productivity while maintaining aesthetic appeal set a tremendously high standard that right now no other phone manufacturer can even come close to. That's the real game because a phone or a computer or whatever can have the fastest connection on earth, a million bells and whistles, and still be as useful as a paperweight if the operating system makes interacting with it unwieldy and uninteresting.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
I don't know how it is in the US, but here in Europe, every phone requires a password on starting up. This is not a password of the phone itself, but of the SIM card (and as we have GSM in Europe, we all have SIM cards).
QUOTE]

You know you can switch that off by going into security settings.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
You know you can switch that off by going into security settings.

You know if you read two more sentences, you'd see where he said just that...

And if I was getting an iPhone, I'd definitely have the password enabled. Aside from keeping people out of your business, it would also keep curious friends from messing around with it when you aren't there to make sure they don't drop it or send evil emails.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005

Maybe nobody really needs it, but it sure can be used... I've heard of several people who've gone through the trouble of asigning a specific ringtone to each contact; not necessarily a song though... For example, it can be a recording saying: "(some person) is calling". If the Mac OS X "say" command spoke decent spanish, I'd use it to do exactly that... the way it is, it can't pronounce the names of my contacts very well :eek: .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.