Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:35 PM   #1
morgan-e
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to morgan-e
memory upgrades

I've recently decided on bumping my 12" tipb to 640 MB. As an apple notebook newbie, I was wondering if there is any risk involved in installing a third-party chip (crucial) myself without applecare?

any advice is appreciated. thanks.
morgan-e is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2003, 02:01 PM   #2
Foucault
macrumors 6502

It's really not that big of a deal. I installed a 512 MB chip on my PB 15" G4 867. Just make sure you are grounded when you install your memory. It took me 5 minutes to get the job done. But if you are too paranoid, pay $35 at the Apple Store they'll do it for you...
Foucault is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2003, 02:03 PM   #3
gopher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to gopher Send a message via Yahoo to gopher
There is one major thing you risk and that is putting the little tiny magnet on backwards beneath the keyboard. If it is put on backwards the keyboard won't fit on right, and might break one of the keys. If you have any hesitation in doing it, take it to a technician. Be sure you are statically grounded before handling the RAM.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:10 PM   #4
morgan-e
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to morgan-e
Quote:
Originally posted by Foucault But if you are too paranoid, pay $35 at the Apple Store they'll do it for you... [/B]
i'd do that if it were an option, but with no local mac store i'd have to take it to compusa and i wouldn't trust them with my TI-86.

thanks for the advice. i'll probably be doing this within a couple weeks.
morgan-e is offline   0
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:48 PM   #5
idea_hamster
macrumors 65816

Apple considers the RAM user-serviceable, so they've got instructions that you can download from their website:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26261

This was the first thing that I ever did under the keyboard -- boy that seems like a long time ago. Lots of digging around since then.

Take a deep breath and jump in!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers