Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morgan-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
Illinois, USA
I've recently decided on bumping my 12" tipb to 640 MB. As an apple notebook newbie, I was wondering if there is any risk involved in installing a third-party chip (crucial) myself without applecare?

any advice is appreciated. thanks.

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
It's really not that big of a deal. I installed a 512 MB chip on my PB 15" G4 867. Just make sure you are grounded when you install your memory. It took me 5 minutes to get the job done. But if you are too paranoid, pay $35 at the Apple Store they'll do it for you...

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
There is one major thing you risk and that is putting the little tiny magnet on backwards beneath the keyboard. If it is put on backwards the keyboard won't fit on right, and might break one of the keys. If you have any hesitation in doing it, take it to a technician. Be sure you are statically grounded before handling the RAM.

morgan-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
Illinois, USA
Originally posted by Foucault But if you are too paranoid, pay $35 at the Apple Store they'll do it for you... [/B]

i'd do that if it were an option, but with no local mac store i'd have to take it to compusa and i wouldn't trust them with my TI-86.

thanks for the advice. i'll probably be doing this within a couple weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.