Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Instead of waiting in line for a $600 iPhone I dropped $500 on a less portable 20" iMac G5. Sweet machine - should hold me over until new iMacs are released...

First problem I'm having with it is that ejecting a CD ends up with it rolling across the bedroom floor. Is there a way this machine to do less damage to CDs than my 18-month old?

Secondly, I was hoping to run Front Row, using an old Keyspan IR receiver and my appletv remote. Doesn't look like it will work without some hacking. Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks!

Congrats to anyone who got an iPhone today...

J

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
On the flying CD issue, see this thread for some possible solutions.

On the Front Row thing, is your iMac one of the models that came with a remote when new?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It sounds like you have a pre-iSight model iMac G5. If you do the optical drive is easily replaceable if you're not under warranty.

Front Row will take a little bit of hacking work if it still works at all.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Lol, that's a famous trademark of the iMac G5's (the early ones).

Mine would every once in a while eject a cd and it would end up right in the garbage that was placed next to the desk.

You just gotta deal with it, unless you want to pay for that to be fixed, which is silly. I'd just say be ready for each cd that comes out of the iMac, it might fly out, so be ready to catch it.

You got a 20 inch iMac G5 for 500 dollars?

kingslod

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Feature, not a bug

Lol, that's a famous trademark of the iMac G5's (the early ones).

Mine would every once in a while eject a cd and it would end up right in the garbage that was placed next to the desk.

You just gotta deal with it, unless you want to pay for that to be fixed, which is silly. I'd just say be ready for each cd that comes out of the iMac, it might fly out, so be ready to catch it.

I always thought this was a feature in mine. :)

My kids think it's a game -- catch the CD if you can!

When it doesn't fire out the side like a cannonball, I feel kinda sad...

Cyclotrode

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Virginia
That gave me a little chuckle and reminded me of the Dolph Lundgren movie called I Come in Peace. If you've seen that movie, you'll know what I mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.