Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene

Old Jul 15, 2003, 08:57 AM   #1
AtariMan
macrumors newbie

Feedback on my new portfolio site pls

I've almost finished my portfolio/resume site, and I'd love some feedback (good or bad) from you guys.

www.studiorama.com.au/davebudge/

There are few bits that aint finished yet:
*there will be a plain HTML splash screen before the main flash content. ("enter", "flash 6 required" etc)
*some of the text is still layout pig latin
*the sound is not quite right yet
*some of the pictures are placeholders and others will be updated.
*none of the external links work yet.

let me know what you think

cheers
AtariMan is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2003, 07:12 AM   #2
AtariMan
macrumors newbie

its basically finished now, with all the links to external sites etc working and the videos in place.
AtariMan is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:28 AM   #3
iGav
macrumors G3

Smooth nav, like that and works well!

Only thing that I don't think looks right, is that the main text is non-aliased and each heading in each subsection appears to be over anti-aliased and alittle fuzzy!

Now not sure if you did the text in Photoshop, maybe try a different anti-aliased setting to sharpen it up abit.

Apart from that...
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:47 AM   #4
AtariMan
macrumors newbie

thanks iGav,

the heading text is just text in flash, but with anti aliasing turned on. (verdana looks kind of crap at that size without it)

i'll play around with it a bit and see if i can get it to lok better
AtariMan is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2003, 09:14 AM   #5
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally posted by AtariMan
thanks iGav,

the heading text is just text in flash, but with anti aliasing turned on. (verdana looks kind of crap at that size without it)

i'll play around with it a bit and see if i can get it to lok better
Flash can be iffy for text, although that said I'm experiencing a similar thing in Photoshop at the moment, with Helvetica (and Helvetica Neue) of all things, for some reason it just looks 'fuzzy' until I start hitting 15pt + sizes with it. Tried all the settings and nothing seems to clean it up.

I can actually get a smoother 10pt-12pt Helvetica by typing it in OSX Mail and then taking a screen shot and then importing into Photoshop... crazy!!

Maybe try a version of your site with the heading text as Photoshop/Freehand created text, it wouldn't make a huge increase in file size to you current Flash movie, (it downloads quickly enough) and might look that little bit smoother/sharper.

It's not that it's a major issue or anything, but when all the text is so clean and non-anti-aliased it just makes the headings look alittle too fuzzy!!

Hope you find a compromise though!!

G

Last edited by iGAV; Jul 22, 2003 at 09:16 AM.
iGav is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2003, 09:36 AM   #6
zarathustra
macrumors 6502a

Very smooth and intuitive interface! Really enjoyed the straightforwardness and clarity of your site. Many so-called web-designers should contact you for consultation.

Great Job.
zarathustra is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2003, 03:14 PM   #7
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Great site. Very well designed and easy to use. You did a very good job creating it. Good Work!
Old Jul 24, 2003, 06:41 PM   #8
teabgs
macrumors 68030

Looks and feels very nice and smooth.

Easy layout/interface...fast loading times on 56k dialup....not for qt mov's but everything else was snappy.

Only criticism is that it feels too clean to me. Maybe add a dash of color here and there....more use up a little bit more space in the window...??? Just some ideas off the top of my head.
teabgs is offline   0
Old Jul 26, 2003, 01:17 AM   #9
Ugg
macrumors 68000

It is a great and creative site! However, for those of us who have vision difficulties, the font is way too small and faint to be read clearly.
Ugg is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene