Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
i been considering buying an iPOD for almost a 1/2 year now. The only problem is i find that 30 gb is still a bit on the small side. some might say im crazy, but im an avid music fan and have been recieving/buying cd's since the late 80s

my question is - how often does the iPod go through revisions? What was the time delay between the 2nd and 3rd generation iPOD?

what is the approximate hd size you expect for the next generation iPOD?

i appreciate any insights you can provide

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
according to MR buyer's guide, the average update cycle for ipod's around 180 days. (half a year)

the 3 gen. ipod was released two and a half months ago, so it's probably gonna a bit longer before another update. i have no idea how big the next biggest ipod will be, but we've gone 5 gb -> 20 gb -> 30 gb... something along the line of 40 to 50 gb will probably be right for the next update.

if you want an ipod, i'd get the 30gb and sync the top 7,500 :)D) songs you listen to the most.

if your collection is over 30gb, don't care about ipod and insist on putting all of your music on a portable device, i think there are other alternative HD based mp3 players with more than 30gb capacity.

i think you are a bit on the extreme side, in terms of music collection, and at this point, it probably doesn't make much sense for apple to introduce 60 gb ipods for $800 just to cater to the small minority of music lovers like yourself...

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
i agree

my collection is rather massive

however - im sure that at some point within the next 2-3 revisions we will have an iPod that had a 60-80 gb hard drive costing about what the 30 gb costs now - 499 USD

i could be wrong about this - its just my feeling - seeing how the hard drive technology is improving and apple slowly yet surely increasing the drive on the pod

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Heart Break Kid

however - im sure that at some point within the next 2-3 revisions we will have an iPod that had a 60-80 gb hard drive...

And by that time, your music collection will have grown to 100gb ;)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
rather than waiting for an updated ipod (which, as someone else wrote, will probably not keep up with your collection), it's probably best to get a 30 gb ipod (which, as i wrote before, will give you 7,500 song to-go) and a FW external HD. i think you can get a FW powered, compact HD for around $2 to 3 per GB... that should keep up with your collection, no?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
this is the current hd in the iPod, and there isn't anything greater then 30 anywhere on there site, so unless toshiba is coming out with something bigger soon, or apple goes to a different manufacturer, 30 will be the highest for awhile

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I hear Toshiba has made a 40 and 60GB harddrive. I read it at the MacRumours.com mainpage, actually. ;) That's why the original rumour was that Apple would release a 40GB capacity iPod.

And why does everybody feel the need to place every single song that they have onto their iPod? Just because you have a large number of mp3's, doesn't make it necessary for you to have them with you all the time. I have 7GB worth of music on my HD (I delete the mp3s that I know I won't listen to ever again......I don't know why), and I'm sure that the old 5GB iPod is fantastic.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Abstract
I hear Toshiba has made a 40 and 60GB harddrive. I read it at the MacRumours.com mainpage, actually. ;) That's why the original rumour was that Apple would release a 40GB capacity iPod.

And why does everybody feel the need to place every single song that they have onto their iPod? Just because you have a large number of mp3's, doesn't make it necessary for you to have them with you all the time.

I use my iPod with my home stereo. It's really nice to have instant access to my 4000+ songs and not have to dig through racks of cd's. A 5gb ipod wouldn't be nearly as useful to me as my 20gb is.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
My mp3 collection is over 35GB and every CD I own is in there. My iPod is a 15GB and it's never more than 2/3 full. Why? Because I own a lot of crap! You probably do too. I have a lot of CDs that I love having near me at all times, but there's some that I may never listen to again.

Since Flowbee mentioned it, I have my iTunes library available to the 2 other Macs in the house and Tivo sees it via rendezvous so I have it piped into the stereo in the living room. Pretty neat to have access to every CD I own at the touch of a remote.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by Abstract
And why does everybody feel the need to place every single song that they have onto their iPod?

thats kinda the whole purpose of the iPod, so someone can put all of their music into it so they always have access to any of it. if you only want to put a few songs on, just get one of those cheap low capacity players. I only have about 5Gb of music, but i still bought the 30gig one so i always have room to put any new music of mine onto it..... plus i can use it as an hd, which is nice

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
I just got a used 5 gig iPod, and have discovered that I really wouldn't want any more than that to work with - it keeps me on my toes, and I always hear music that, to a point, i actually want to hear right then. Only got about 550 songs on it, and that's just dandy.

Oh, and I have over 2100 songs in iTunes - so 550 is actually pretty condensed for me. Only a quarter, that's kinda hard to do usually. But it's fun.

I know that 2100 is pathetic to some, if not most of you guys, but it's a lot to me. :p

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by pEZ
I know that 2100 is pathetic to some, if not most of you guys, but it's a lot to me. :p

i'm pushing 11,000 :D :D :D

i'm actually contemplating getting an ipod. i really want a 30gig, but i would like them to go down in price, so...here's to hopes that the ipods will stay on schedule for revisions....or sooner would be nice :D

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Horrortaxi

Since Flowbee mentioned it, I have my iTunes library available to the 2 other Macs in the house and Tivo sees it via rendezvous so I have it piped into the stereo in the living room. Pretty neat to have access to every CD I own at the touch of a remote.

I've got a TiVo (which I love) and I'm planning to get the Home Media Option next month. :) Nice to hear the glowing recommendation.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I am running into this situation now, 20GB iPod and less then a Gig left. I am yet to import the rest of my CDs and hope to do so soon. So, to create a solution, I have started using the playlist option and making the iPod only sync to the playlist due to this, I have requested, and do so once a week, the option to have nested playlist. I would love to be able to set up nested or even a unique library for my iPod, one that is based on the main library... someday. :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
If you're willing to re-rip your cd collection to AAC, you can save signifigant size, retain quality, and thus fit many more songs on an iPod... Just set up two smart playlists, one for AAC and one for MP3. You can check what albums still need re-ripped and do a few whenever you have time, eventually you'll get it done. May not fit your entire collection, but it will get you closer...

pnw

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
that is what I am doing now, going to aac, almost 1/2 done with my collection. I gained a lot of room and, I know the debate but, feel that the sound quality is better, I am using 160kbs vs. 192kbs mp3. aac is the way to go!:D

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Flowbee
I've got a TiVo (which I love) and I'm planning to get the Home Media Option next month. :) Nice to hear the glowing recommendation.
Isn't Tivo great? It's a life-changer. Home media option is nice--I think it should have been included without extra cost, but what's done is done. The only word of caution I can give is that Tivo doesn't play AAC files. I got myself in trouble that way--I ripped a couple hundred CDs in AAC (said it worked with iTunes and iTunes plays them so...) and had to redo them as mp3. Tivo says they'll suport AAC eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.