Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:19 PM   #1
john2006wright
macrumors regular

speakers for macbook

Is it possible to hook up external speakers for the MacBook? If so, what do people recommend?

Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Just plug them into the headphone socket. Almost anything is better than the stock speakers.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:37 PM   #3
john2006wright
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Just plug them into the headphone socket. Almost anything is better than the stock speakers.

So would the JBL Creature II 2.1 speakers that apple sell be a good purchase? I want them for watching movies and listening to music (not gaming)
Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:44 PM   #4
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

They should sound great. My headphones when left on the desk sound better than the built in speakers.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Killyp
macrumors 68040

The Creatures aren't anything special. In fact, you'll never get anything particularly decent when it comes to 2.1 speakers. If style is what you want though, I recommend the Sound Sticks. They're the best that I've heard around that price range...
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 04:41 AM   #6
kinesin
macrumors regular

If your on a budget check out the logitech X210, 20 at the moment online (amazon) and instore at staples. Amazing little things for the price
kinesin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 04:47 AM   #7
Killyp
macrumors 68040

Remember that until Apple releases a patch/fix for OS X 10.4.10, they will pop every few seconds when connected to the laptop, which is very irritating after a while...
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:23 AM   #8
apfel
macrumors newbie

I can recommend the speakers from Audioengine. They are a bit more expensive but they are exceptional. I had a few problems when I got them delivered but the customer service was excellent and I am now very happy with them.
apfel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:46 AM   #9
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000

I'd recomend these fantastic laCie Firewire speakers, awsome!! they plug into your FireWire port and not the headphone jack and look fantastic next to a MacBook!
anti-microsoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:22 AM   #10
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

altec lansing has the best speakers hands down...if you can find some of those with some subs then you're in business...I picked up a brand new set for $1 (had some coupons, but they were marked down to $25) at office depot yesterday...their bass and quality are always superb IMO
jayeskreezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:33 AM   #11
Jessy
Banned

Don't know why my post didn't go through before.....

Do not use the Macbook's headphone jack as if it were a real line out. The sound quality will suffer. Get a Griffin iMic if you want to stick with cheaper speakers.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iMic/
Jessy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:48 PM   #12
parkinni
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2006wright View Post
So would the JBL Creature II 2.1 speakers that apple sell be a good purchase? I want them for watching movies and listening to music (not gaming)
John: I just went through the exact same thing last month, and ended up getting a white pair of brand new JBL Creature 2's from Buy.com for $35 ($45 - $10 Google Checkout coupon + free Budget shipping). I had them in 4 days and couldn't be happier. Yes, there are much better sounding speakers out there than this (maybe the SoundSticks?), but they also cost 3 times as much, or even more.

I've mainly used the Creatures for listening to iTunes music/radio/podcasts and they sound great. Sure, the mid-range is a little lacking, but at the Buy.com price, you are essentially getting a $100 speaker system for a third of the price.

IMHO, it all works best with the sub-woofer on the floor, while keeping the small satellites on your desk. Plus, they look really good with the white MacBook I have.

I also hooked them up to my HDTV, and was very impressed. The only downside is that they aren't remote-controlled for the volume......otherwise I'd be buying another set!

To sum up, the first time my girlfriend heard them, she got straight on my Mac and ordered the Aluminum-coloured ones for her HP desktop.

Give them a try. I don't think you'll regret it.

- Nigel
parkinni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:25 PM   #13
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

Creature speakers sound very good, and they add a bit of style to your desk. I would say that they are probably the best speakers one can get for the money, as they can be found cheap if you shop around a bit. Of course, there are many better speakers out there, but you'd have to go over $100 to get them, which just isn't worth it for most people (creatures can be found for about $50 online).
Old Jul 2, 2007, 03:03 PM   #14
seahawk09
macrumors regular

I think your Mac would sound great with a pair of Altec lansing speakers only buy the best for your Mac.
seahawk09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice