Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
How do I put in mail account in which the "Other" option is required. I use AIM mail. What is the "Incoming Mail Server" and "Outgoing Mail Server"? How do I find them?

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
For AIM Mail, here are the incoming and outgoing server details:

Type "imap.aim.com" in the Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server Host Name field.

Enter "smtp.aim.com" under Outgoing mail (SMTP) server Host Name field.

Then, proceed to fill in all other required fields to complete setting up your AIM Mail account.

coolosxapps

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Do you know what the exact details for the Gmail client on the iphone are using?

I use Google Apps for Domains and am trying to setup those accounts for sending but it doesn't work. Gmail send (@gmail.com) works fine, so I know it can do it but the Gmail account type only let's you do @gmail.com and not @yourdomain.com.

Any suggestions on what to put in the boxes to make it work?

amberoo82

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
using cox for other mail

first let me say that i don't use forums much, so please be patient with me. i am so annoyed with my iphone. i can't get my email set up, i use cox and when i go to the cox website, in my area they give me my incoming and outgoing servers as pop.central.cox.net and smtp.central.cox.net, when i put this info in i get an error for my outgoing server, saying that the verification has failed and that the smtp server is not responding... can someone please help me? thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
first let me say that i don't use forums much, so please be patient with me. i am so annoyed with my iphone. i can't get my email set up, i use cox and when i go to the cox website, in my area they give me my incoming and outgoing servers as pop.central.cox.net and smtp.central.cox.net, when i put this info in i get an error for my outgoing server, saying that the verification has failed and that the smtp server is not responding... can someone please help me? thanks!

Be forewarned, that I don't have an iPhone, but I do have Cox, so I think I can provide half the answer....

To use the COX e-mail, you will always use the incoming (POP) server as listed. The Cox SMTP server is REQUIRED and is the ONLY server that works for outgoing mail *when* you're connected via WiFi to your cable modem / router at home. However, it will NOT work unless you are actually on the Cox network. That means that, as far as I know, you can't use the Cox SMTP if you are connected by EDGE. Is that what you're trying to do?

To everyone else: does the iPhone have an easy solution for this issue -- e.g. tying different SMTP servers to different connection modalities? This is something I run into a lot with notebooks -- at home, I *must* use Cox SMTP, at school I must use UF's SMTP, etc, etc.

amberoo82

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
thanks for trying to help. i think i'm kinda out of my league with this phone, i have had a previous phone that i set up my cox email and had no problem...but yes i believe i am using edge because my wi-fi never connects. i tried to call apple yesterday and they couldn't help, they told me to contact cox and cox has told me to contact apple... i'm so frustrated :(

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I checked the Cox support site, and they don't let you authenticate to the Cox SMTP server, which means that you will definitely never be able to use their SMTP server via EDGE (unless this changes).

Let's get you working here, though. Hmmm... try putting in cwmx.com as your smtp server. It's the AT&T EDGE SMTP server.

Pine-Tree

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Arizona, USA
google uses port 587 for SMTP .

That fixed my issue!

I also have a domain name from google apps, I set up my regular gmail just fine, but my other e-mail with my domain name doesn't seem to receive any mail. I can't figure it out. It can send mail out, because I've tried it and it works, so I don't know if I have to change a setting. How is yours working, are you able to send and receive mail just fine?? If so, what are your settings? thanks.

Abe

amberoo82

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
I checked the Cox support site, and they don't let you authenticate to the Cox SMTP server, which means that you will definitely never be able to use their SMTP server via EDGE (unless this changes).

Let's get you working here, though. Hmmm... try putting in cwmx.com as your smtp server. It's the AT&T EDGE SMTP server.

so i just want to make sure that i'm doing this right. i put in smtp.cwmx.com in the outgoing mail server and it says that the smtp server is not responding.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
omg that worked, thanks ... you're a life saver :) so i should be able to send mail with no problems?

Yes, as far as I understand. What you're doing is just using AT&T's outgoing mail server. As long as you're an AT&T customer on the AT&T network (which, of course, you are, since you're on EDGE), it does not care what e-mail address you use. So you can add any account to your iPhone and use that cwmx.com server as your outgoing server, as long as you're on EDGE. You may run into trouble with using that server when you're on a WiFi network, but I guess it's a start.

amberoo82

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Yes, as far as I understand. What you're doing is just using AT&T's outgoing mail server. As long as you're an AT&T customer on the AT&T network (which, of course, you are, since you're on EDGE), it does not care what e-mail address you use. So you can add any account to your iPhone and use that cwmx.com server as your outgoing server, as long as you're on EDGE. You may run into trouble with using that server when you're on a WiFi network, but I guess it's a start.

it's a great start...i feel so much better, i was getting so bummed for spending so much money on a phone i couldn't use. maybe you could take a look at my bluetooth post ... i hope i'm not abusing you lol thank you sooooo much for your help :)

amberoo82

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
i just had an idea, do you think this would work? what if when i do have a wi-fi connection i set up another account with the cox outgoing server and use that one when i have a wifi connection? does that even make sense lol i guess i'm just excited :)

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I also have a domain name from google apps, I set up my regular gmail just fine, but my other e-mail with my domain name doesn't seem to receive any mail. I can't figure it out. It can send mail out, because I've tried it and it works, so I don't know if I have to change a setting. How is yours working, are you able to send and receive mail just fine?? If so, what are your settings? thanks.

You set it up as a Other service, with POP. Make sure you enable POP in your account on Google Apps for Domains. Also, reset it to only forward e-mail from now on or you get a TON of old e-mail.

Name: Yours
Address: yourname@yourdomain.com
Description: YourDomain (Gapps -- can be whatever)

Incoming Mail Server:
Host Name: pop.gmail.com
Username: yoruname@yourdomain.com
Password: YourPassword

Outgoing Mail server SMTP:
Host Name: smtp.gmail.com:587
User name: yorumain@yourdomain.com
Password: your password

Advanced->
Incoming Uses SSL: ON
Outgoing Uses SSL: ON
Authentication: Password

That should make it work, I've got that setup with 3 of my hosted domains and it works great, send and receive.

junkyardmessiah

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
what about earthlink smtp?

Hello everyone! Does anyone have a suggestion for an earthlink outgoing mail server?? I used --

incoming: pop.earthlink.net
outgoing: smtpauth.earthlink.net

but keep getting error messages when trying to send an email, and "load 25 more messages?" when receiving.

I have been able to receive one (one!) email but nothing else. And keep getting error messages when I try to send mail - the messages vary, from "server rejects" my account name, to "can't receive email at this time"

Arrgh.

Is this because I'm using Entourage??? I have the latest software/upgrades. What am I doing wrong?

drewP

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Gmail Help

Couple of questions...

Is one way of setting up gmail better than another? I initially sync'd my iPhone with the gmail POP account through iTunes. I noticed that made Inbox, Sent, and Trash folders on my phone. However, every time I send an email from my iPhone a copy of the sent email shows up in my Inbox... how do I stop that?

Also, I deleted that mailbox and then added the gmail account through my iPhone (rather than syncing through iTunes). This time, no Sent or Trash folders showed up but I am STILL getting copies of my sent messages in my Inbox.

Any suggestions on how to stop getting copies of sent messages in my Inbox?

Expecto

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
so i have cox at the two places i spend most of my time. However, using smtp.central.cox.net does not work on those networks. Im on an ipod though, but gmail imap works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.