Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
My internet connection has been really slow lately (like, dial-up slow). Wireless and grounded. I've checked my speed, and it's coming in at around 2680kbps (usually it's around 2755, and I have a 3mbps connection so that's not a huge deal). I checked packet loss, and most of the time it came up as 0%, once it came up as 10%.

My brother runs his XBox all the time (playing online), could that have something to do with it? Also, I just installed like 5 software updates (Airport, SuperDrive something, etc.), have people been reporting internet problems after installing the latest updates?

Any help is appreciated.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
[rant]all the iPhone newbs are posting so much stuff the internet is crying and has a headache, which slows it down[/rant]

Is it all sites?
When was the last time you updated your router, when was the last time you restarted it?
Is it all computers on your network?
what kind of latency are you getting? (I'd tell you how to check but I've forgotten how...)
and the most important Question: do you like cotton candy?

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
[rant]all the iPhone newbs are posting so much stuff the internet is crying and has a headache, which slows it down[/rant]

Is it all sites?
When was the last time you updated your router, when was the last time you restarted it?
Is it all computers on your network?
what kind of latency are you getting? (I'd tell you how to check but I've forgotten how...)
and the most important Question: do you like cotton candy?

I just checked, and it only seems to be my Macbook (on the wireless network) that's being slow. :( The iMac which is connected to the ethernet cable seems to be fine. I restarted the modem, and restarted the router (which is the white dome Airport Extreme from last year). As far as updating, I believe I installed the latest Airport Extreme update.

It's all sites. Occasionally some sites such as YouTube will pause for a bit, and then load quickly. Most sites just seem to take forever though. I dunno how to check for latency.

**I'm using Verizon DSL (3mbps) and a Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz Macbook, if that helps any. I've got like 40GB free, and the browser I'm using is Firefox (the latest version).

shwc

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2005
delete DNS server list (see below)

Make sure that you do not have any DNS servers listed in your network preference pane. It sounds like you might have an outdated (or miss-typed) DNS server address listed.

Open "system preferences" (found under the apple menu, or use spotlight to find and launch), from within system preferences select "network," select "show airport" (alternatively select "show built in ethernet"), select the "TCP/IP" tab, and look at the DNS server field. Delete anything in that field.

Normally, you should not have anything in the DNS server field. Your machine will automatically connect to a local DNS server if nothing is listed. If your ISP told you to put something in the DNS field, get an updated DNS server address from them.

If you have a bad DNS server address, your computer will spend a lot of time trying to get information from that address.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
I just checked, and it only seems to be my Macbook (on the wireless network) that's being slow. :( The iMac which is connected to the ethernet cable seems to be fine. I restarted the modem, and restarted the router (which is the white dome Airport Extreme from last year). As far as updating, I believe I installed the latest Airport Extreme update.

It's all sites. Occasionally some sites such as YouTube will pause for a bit, and then load quickly. Most sites just seem to take forever though. I dunno how to check for latency.

**I'm using Verizon DSL (3mbps) and a Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz Macbook, if that helps any. I've got like 40GB free, and the browser I'm using is Firefox (the latest version).

Youtube is slow for me at certain times of the day. Right now, 17.20 BST, it's working great, very quick loading times on any videos. It tends to slow down for me at around 21.00 BST for some reason though. I'm guessing it's the Americans using the site at around that time and causing traffic problems.

Have you done an internet speed test?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.