Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 07:53 PM   #1
thiagofll
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to thiagofll
Back-up contacts from iPhone?

I have entered all my contacts into my iPhone. How do I back it up in case I want to do a factory reset?
Any help will be appreciated.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:09 PM   #2
WillJS
macrumors 65816

You can sync it with your address book
WillJS is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:15 PM   #3
thiagofll
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to thiagofll
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJS View Post
You can sync it with your address book

But what if I have already added everything to my iPhone and want to back up into my computer?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:25 PM   #4
jshbckr
macrumors 6502

Syncing takes the most recent/new contacts and puts them on each device. For example, if you put everything into your iPhone and have nothing on your computer, it will copy all contacts to your computer. Then say you update "Joe Smith" on your computer, and meanwhile created a new contact "Susie Johnson" on your iPhone, the next time you sync it will copy the updated Joe Smith to your iPhone and wil copy the Susie Johnson to your computer.
jshbckr is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:27 PM   #5
ravenvii
macrumors 604

If, say, you erased + reinstalled and now your computer has nothing, but your iPhone has all the contacts. The computer technically has the latest update, so if you sync, will the contacts on your iPhone be wiped?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:29 PM   #6
jshbckr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
If, say, you erased + reinstalled and now your computer has nothing, but your iPhone has all the contacts. The computer technically has the latest update, so if you sync, will the contacts on your iPhone be wiped?
I suppose there may be a chance... I can't try it right now, I won't have my iPhone until tomorow, but I can try it then if someone else hasn't.
jshbckr is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:31 PM   #7
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
the sync process is a 2 way process. I have not done it myself, but it will work
synth3tik is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:21 AM   #8
axi
macrumors newbie

you may try http://iphone-backup.net for turing your iphone's address book into a PDF which can be stored on your computer
axi is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:54 AM   #9
nehunte
macrumors 6502

Do you have Microsoft Outlook on your computer? If so, you can go into iTunes and tell it to back your contacts onto Microsoft Outlook. However, the best way to backup contacts IMO is through Gmail. If you don't already have a Gmail account, then set one up. Once you set it up, follow the steps that Google gives you to set up the Microsoft Exchange account on your iPhone for Gmail. It's actually quite easy. After you set it up, then your contacts, calendar, and email are all pushed between your Gmail account and your iPhone. It's awesome. Let's say you run into an old friend one day, and you put their phone number in your phone, within minutes it's pushed on to your Gmail account online.

So, after everything is backed up online with Gmail, you can do a restore on your phone. Once the restore is done, go back and set up the Microsoft Exchange for Gmail and all your contacts and calendars come right back to the phone. That's how I do it and it's awesome. Makes everything a lot easier, IMO. Regardless of what you do, good luck with it.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

I installed the free app "ContactSync" from the app store. It lets you keep your iPhone contacts online.
Moi un Mouton is offline   0
Old May 13, 2011, 07:05 AM   #11
Nevrsadie
macrumors regular

iDrive is another great free backup app. Create your account online, then download the app and sign in. I used this exclusively until I made the leap to gmail. And still use it as a backup in case something goes fubar with gmail.
Nevrsadie is offline   0
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:14 AM   #12
creiapp
macrumors newbie

Backup and Restore in minutes, no need PC

Check out here:
http://creiapp.blogspot.com/2011/08/...rd-backup.html
Backup and Restore in minutes. No need iTunes or PC, just send the VCF to your email and then open the attachment from your email.
creiapp is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:21 AM   #13
MitchRobertson
macrumors newbie

How to backup iphone contacts

I found this tutorial useful

Backup iPhone Contacts

It also provides a solution to recover iPhone deteted contacts, it was really useful to me
MitchRobertson is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:39 AM   #14
Angelo921
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchRobertson View Post
I found this tutorial useful

Backup iPhone Contacts

It also provides a solution to recover iPhone deteted contacts, it was really useful to me

isnt the best way to back your contacts using icloud?
Angelo921 is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:37 AM   #15
kicko
macrumors 65816

I like to back up my contacts with google, it pretty much works on any device and works very well.

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin...&answer=138740
kicko is offline   0
Old Jun 7, 2012, 01:43 PM   #16
JMG
macrumors 6502a

Sync it with your google email so you never have to worry ever again no matter what phone you get next.

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Hal.
macrumors newbie

If I back up my iPhone contacts via iTunes (right-click on iPhone icon > Back Up) will I be able to restore my contacts to my iPhone without restoring to factory settings (i.e. without having to delete my iPhone-saved multimedia)?

What I am trying to achieve is to backup my iPhone 3G contacts and with that, move them (restore them) to my newer iPhone 4 which is synced to another computer and has its own separate music library.
Hal. is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:01 AM   #18
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal. View Post
If I back up my iPhone contacts via iTunes (right-click on iPhone icon > Back Up) will I be able to restore my contacts to my iPhone without restoring to factory settings (i.e. without having to delete my iPhone-saved multimedia)?

What I am trying to achieve is to backup my iPhone 3G contacts and with that, move them (restore them) to my newer iPhone 4 which is synced to another computer and has its own separate music library.
Yeah you will be able to do that, as long as you have them checked to sync and back up, they will be able to sync to your new iPhone when you get that.
gmanist1000 is offline   0
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Coasterfanryan
macrumors regular

I was gonna say, iCloud does the trick for me!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:36 AM   #20
loaferkan
macrumors regular

I found the solution with the icloud . i came to know about this from the forum recently. And it worked. Thanks.
loaferkan is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting