Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AIMONIPHONE_300.jpg

As it turns out David Cann's iChat for iPhone (iPhone Link is the only instant messaging application that can be used on the iPhone, though its not without its bugs. I'm not sure if David made changes to his iPhoneChat site since Friday, but it was not working on the iPhone when I first tried it.

Keeping focus on the IM text field and scrolling back to see what has been said is a bit awkward, and the session is limited to 10 minutes, but it works. Another bug is that tap-drag motions aren't sent by the iPhone, so if your buddy list exceeds the space of 1 page on the iPhone, you can't scroll down to see the rest.

Meebo.com is another popular Web IM client. While their site appears to work initially, iPhone users are stuck unable to actually send messages. There is no "submit" button for the IM text fields, and the iPhone won't generate one through the standard on screen keyboard.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Is it still limited to 10 minutes if you upload it onto your own server? I assumed he just did that so his server doesn't get swamped.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is it still limited to 10 minutes if you upload it onto your own server? I assumed he just did that so his server doesn't get swamped.

yeah, if you install it yourself, there should be no limit.

arn

mcomb

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
mac.com IM addresses?

Does this work with "@mac.com" AIM accounts? I've tried to use it several times and always just get kicked back to the login screen.

jstennis1591

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, can someone explain how to install this to your own server? I have my own website, and I just don't know how to set it up, like which parts have to be uploaded?

jstennis1591

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
has anyone duplicated iphone chat on their own server? the publictivity one is not working for me at all :confused:

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah not working for me either. I login and the page refreshes with the login prompt again. Yet when I try it through firefox on my desktop it works fine.

iwork4ispot

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
hmm my Samsung Blackjack works fine. Oh but the IM is an actual APP and not some web based (SLOOOOW) applet.

Ah well the hype took over.

Advertising > PEOPLE

lol

jstennis1591

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Very, very soon can be interpreted as many different things

And I agree that its bound to happen.......:)

TriHFH

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
What I did was copy the "im" folder to my server. Then I added a mysql database / user / password specifically for the application. I edited the config.php to connect to the new database.

Still, I can't get it working... When I try to login, it beings to load index.php and then reverts back to login.php. I believe the code on http://www.publictivity.com/im is changed a bit, because it displays correctly on the iPhone upon load. On my server, I need to zoom in to view everything properly.

aparajita

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Another IM client coming

According to the makers of JiveTalk, a very nice looking IM client for the Blackberry, they are working on an iPhone version that will be released "shortly".

http://www.beejive.com/

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
I'm sure that AT&T

has done everything ppossible to prevent us from using external IM clients on iphones. On each of their other phone offerings, each IM sent or recieved counts as a text message, and is charged accordingly. They're not about to give up their stranglehold on text messaging.

In short, "IDK, my BFF Jill?" is here to stay.

Me paying this bill is what's SNF!

scotty1024

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
MobileSafari does frames

I don't know if the developer reads this forum or if someone here knows the developer and can forward this but I have one tip for them: frames.

MobileSafari does frames and allows them to be individually zoomed/scrolled as needed.

Put buddy list in one frame, history in another frame and entry in another. You can then see all three at the same time and scroll history/buddy as needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.