Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:56 AM   #1
dfnj123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
How do you make songs all apart of one album in iTunes?



The CD has the same album title but the artist are different is itunes is recognizing all the songs as different albums? Is there a way to still group them together.

Man, I should know how to do this
dfnj123 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:31 PM   #2
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Right click, get info, select this album is part of a compilation. I think you may have to do it with all songs, ie do it with all songs selected.
mrkgoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:37 PM   #3
MacRohde
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
From iTunes Hot Tips:

Quote:
Group Compilations

To see all songs on a compilation CD grouped together in your library, make sure you select the “Group compilations when browsing” option in iTunes Preferences (click the General button). If this checkbox is deselected, all songs from compilation CDs appear individually by artist in the Artist list (in the browser).
__________________
My main systems: iMac 2.7 GHz (Mountain Lion), iPad 2, iPhone 4S.
MacRohde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:54 PM   #4
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRohde View Post
strange. I don't have this checked, yet I see all my multi artist albums as one.
mrkgoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:45 PM   #5
dfnj123
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRohde View Post
That did not work. I download the CD off a non iTunes site so that may be the problem. I there away to get around it
dfnj123 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:10 PM   #6
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfnj123 View Post
That did not work. I download the CD off a non iTunes site so that may be the problem. I there away to get around it
Read my post above.
mrkgoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:01 AM   #7
dfnj123
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
OK I have every CD together now except for one CD.

ANY IDEAS

Last edited by dfnj123; Jul 2, 2007 at 12:14 AM.
dfnj123 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 05:18 AM   #8
mrkgoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfnj123 View Post
OK I have every CD together now except for one CD.

ANY IDEAS
Try copying and pasting the album name from one of the songs on the CD to the rest. Sometimes a stray space or other character makes its way and disrupts the album.
mrkgoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Gava
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
If you select all the tracks from the album, and select "get info", you can check all the boxes that need to be the same. This will verify that all of the fields match up. Click ok. Then highlight all the tracks and select "get info" again. now check the box for compilation and click ok. This has worked for me so far.
Gava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Tom B.
macrumors 65816
 
Tom B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
It should work if you select every song in the album, and on the 'Get Info' screen, enter 'Various Artists' in the album artist box. The compilation option is unnecessary.
__________________
MacBook | 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X | Windows 7 | Ubuntu
SyncMaster 2343BW 2048x1152 | Magic Mouse | Bluetooth Keyboard
iPhone 4 | 32GB | black
Tom B. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:23 AM   #11
La Curandera
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I've had the same problem.

Normally fixed by the "get info" and tick everything approach, but there have still been instances where everything appeared to be the same, but still I had multiple albums coming up.

For each of these I just changed the name or the album slightly, say deleting the last letter, then immediately changed it back. I think iTunes doesn't always pick up changes but everytime I did that, they became one album as they should be.
La Curandera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:57 AM   #12
bindigok
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
I have found the best way to fix this problem is not to select the compilation option, as it messes things up if that album ever is part of a compilation. Instead highlight all the songs of the album and press command+I, than enter the name of the artist under the field "Album Artist." I'm not sure why some albums need this field and other don't. But this option is so that all songs on that album will be displayed under the same artist. If the album has various artists (like a soundtrack), then enter in Various Artists. Now all the songs should display together under that album.
bindigok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:38 PM   #13
rsimms
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Album view problem fixed

I had this problem.

"Group compilations when browsing" in the advanced preferences was checked.

"Part of a compilation" was checked on all of the songs that were part of the same album.

The thing that seemed odd was that the text entered for the artist tag was also entered for the album artist tag -- by clearing the album artist tag, the songs are now grouped together in all album views.

I even have different artists and composers specified for each song -- so using "various artists" for the artist tag is not necessary when you really know the details for each song.

Last edited by rsimms; Sep 28, 2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: ambiguous antecedent
rsimms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:58 PM   #14
Hadi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I Have This Problem On My Ipod And It'd Doing The Same Duing Cover Flow Browsing
Hadi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
I had the same problem and it was 1 song on it's own album. I looked at all the songs and the 1 song on it's own album had the "album artist" missing when all the other songs from the same CD had info in that spot so I put the same info as the other songs in for this song. I also numbered all the songs from the 1 album (1 of 10, 2 of 10 and so on). I did them both so not sure which 1 fixed it, but something to look into.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:19 PM   #16
MasterNile
macrumors 65816
 
MasterNile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Something I would suggest that may or may not work for you, but it has worked for me is remove all the songs from that album from itunes, and re add them, this has fixed this problem for me on multiple occassions
__________________
24" Alu iMac, 2.8GHz C2D, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB RAM;
White MacBook, 2.0GHz C2D, 500GB 5400RPM HDD, 4GB RAM;
Jailbroken 32GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch
MasterNile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:59 AM   #17
Lloyd Christmas
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Curandera View Post
I've had the same problem.

Normally fixed by the "get info" and tick everything approach, but there have still been instances where everything appeared to be the same, but still I had multiple albums coming up.

For each of these I just changed the name or the album slightly, say deleting the last letter, then immediately changed it back. I think iTunes doesn't always pick up changes but everytime I did that, they became one album as they should be.
+1 just tried it out and it worked no problem Lloyd
Lloyd Christmas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:18 AM   #18
JanSKay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Great instructions/reminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindigok View Post
I have found the best way to fix this problem is not to select the compilation option, as it messes things up if that album ever is part of a compilation. Instead highlight all the songs of the album and press command+I, than enter the name of the artist under the field "Album Artist." I'm not sure why some albums need this field and other don't. But this option is so that all songs on that album will be displayed under the same artist. If the album has various artists (like a soundtrack), then enter in Various Artists. Now all the songs should display together under that album.
Been awhile since I had this problem and could not remember and thank you...this worked perfectly this way. Thanks.
JanSKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Razza353
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindigok View Post
I have found the best way to fix this problem is not to select the compilation option, as it messes things up if that album ever is part of a compilation. Instead highlight all the songs of the album and press command+I, than enter the name of the artist under the field "Album Artist." I'm not sure why some albums need this field and other don't. But this option is so that all songs on that album will be displayed under the same artist. If the album has various artists (like a soundtrack), then enter in Various Artists. Now all the songs should display together under that album.

You are a life saver. That's exactly it; I was worried it'd actually change the artists, but it doesn't, they're still the real artists it just categorises it as one album instead of little ones. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Razza353 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:07 AM   #20
LeChuck2020
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
BEST solution

Steps in making all part of one album

A lot of good ideas above but still some are missing

For all the steps select ALL the songs and right click "get info"

1. Make sure the Album name is there, if not then some of the files may be name differently, write the name in and click ok

Failed?

2a. If the album artist is not filled in and the album is by one artist will in the album artist,

2b. If the CD is a compilation then write "Various Artists" in the Album Artist.
This should already solve 85% of al problems

3. If it is still not as one album, then go to the Options tap and Check " part of compilation" "YES"

4. The final and this should solve 95% of all problems, go into the Sorting tap, and check sort artist if the album is by one artist, or sort album artist or even album and write the appropriate name.

5. The last 5% can be done by erasing some field like album name, clicking ok, then click get info again and re-write it again.... or try other small things like adding a cover art to the whole album

Hope this could help
LeChuck2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:14 PM   #21
Venkata
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
The Solution

I have visited many websites desperate for a fix. I have come across MacRumors and I scanned through this thread hoping some simple fix can do the trip. I believe someone on the MacRumors forum or some other forum suggested deleting all spaces.

1. Indivisually click on "Get Info" on each song

2. Click in the "Album Name" field

3. Make sure there is no space after the name of the album

4. Repeat for all songs that you wish to be apart of the album

*My interaction & Example*

I checked the "Get Info" tab for each and everyone one of the songs that belonged in the same album, and I could swear that each one was identical. And to the eye they were certainly identical, but iTunes recognizes exactly where the cursor was left off.

Example of two separate albums:

(Each _ (underscore) I type represents a space)

Album Name 1: "Thriller_"
Album Name 2: "Thriller"

Album Name 1: "Tha_Carter_3"
Album Name 2: "Tha_Carter_3_"
Venkata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:03 AM   #22
Talk2frank
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
iTunes scattered album fix

Go to origanal file select properties uncheck read only click apply open the file to see all the tracks select all then select remove properties from the organise tab from this window check the second option to delete properties then check remove contributing artist info click ok/apply go back to iTunes delete all your seperate folders for the album then add your edited file plug in your device go to music and check the box for your album click apply. You should be good to go
Talk2frank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:15 AM   #23
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2frank View Post
Go to origanal file select properties uncheck read only click apply open the file to see all the tracks select all then select remove properties from the organise tab from this window check the second option to delete properties then check remove contributing artist info click ok/apply go back to iTunes delete all your seperate folders for the album then add your edited file plug in your device go to music and check the box for your album click apply. You should be good to go
Nice thread resurrection, but none of that is necessary and won't fix the problem. It makes no difference where the music files are stored, or if they are in the same folder or not.

iTunes uses 4 fields to determine which albums sort together:
  • Album
  • Album Artist
  • Sort Album
  • Sort Album Artist
As long as all tracks have matching information in those tags, the album will sort together. So for albums with various artists, put the individual artist name in the Artist field, and put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist and Sort Album Artist fields. The album will sort together. If it doesn't immediately, remove the album from your library and re-add it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 01:23 PM   #24
Partron22
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If it doesn't immediately, remove the album from your library and re-add it.
This occasionally still is a necessary step.

Last edited by Partron22; Apr 13, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
Partron22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:56 PM   #25
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a
 
Ajones330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SEC Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Nice thread resurrection, but none of that is necessary and won't fix the problem. It makes no difference where the music files are stored, or if they are in the same folder or not.

iTunes uses 4 fields to determine which albums sort together:
  • Album
  • Album Artist
  • Sort Album
  • Sort Album Artist
As long as all tracks have matching information in those tags, the album will sort together. So for albums with various artists, put the individual artist name in the Artist field, and put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist and Sort Album Artist fields. The album will sort together. If it doesn't immediately, remove the album from your library and re-add it.
This is probably the best way to fix album sorting issues...
__________________
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.~Peter F. Drucker

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes not matching all songs on an album? Kurri Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Mar 28, 2014 05:18 PM
How to make iTunes stop looking for songs on nas and locate songs on mac instead? Scorpia Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Sep 27, 2013 10:39 AM
Resolved: I can't get album artwork to show beside my songs view in iTunes 11 can anybody help? AppleDeviceUser Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Jun 20, 2013 08:02 PM
No album artwork is appearing for iTunes Match songs in iOS6 Music? omgwut iOS 6 2 Jan 10, 2013 10:57 PM
Is there a way to view all songs in album from single result in iTunes? bluegrass527 Mac Basics and Help 3 Jul 28, 2012 08:08 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC