Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
riddlebox
macrumors newbie

Unhappy iPhone without camera??

I would buy an iPhone if I could get it without a camera. I can not have a camera on my phone due work restrictions So for now I will keep my blackberry 7130.
riddlebox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:36 PM   #2
WillJS
macrumors 65816

Tape it up or something. Try to hide it.
WillJS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:41 PM   #3
riddlebox
macrumors newbie

Tape won't make it past a security check. The phone has to approved be for I can bring it to work. Even if I remove the camera It may look like a camera is still there, This is retarded I know.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:44 PM   #4
WillJS
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlebox View Post
Tape won't make it past a security check. The phone has to approved be for I can bring it to work. Even if I remove the camera It may look like a camera is still there, This is retarded I know.
Wow. That really stinks man. Sorry.
WillJS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Boxer
macrumors regular

Sorry if this is a dumb comment but I bet there is a way you could ask apple tech or att tech support to disable the camera part. Maybe your work would let you use it if they knew it was disabled.
Just a thought.
Wireless Mighty Mouse
iCurve
New Ipod Nano Silver 2GB
Boxer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:53 PM   #6
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I would be curious if you walked in with a tripod without a camera. Sorry you have to deal with that restriction at work.
BornAgainMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:55 PM   #7
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

My wife has the same problem at her company - it's for their DOD security compliance. They can make exceptions, if "needed" though. I bet as soon as some of the execs want to bring their iPhones in, something will happen. A lot of them have Blackberrys, and even if they stick with those, the latest models have cameras.

When I used to work there (1998), it had only been a year or two that cell phones of any kind were allowed (under "no transmitting devices"). I was among the first to get an exception to bring it in - I had to use the rational of always traveling between sites, to even get that much.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:13 PM   #8
riddlebox
macrumors newbie

Even if the camera is disabled or removed it will not pass thru security (DOD/DOE). Like I said this is retarded. As for exception they not are allowed for any reason. Its only been about 2 years phones are allowed on site. The phones have to be registered thru security and we have to have a sticker on the phone to show that it is a registered device. Maybe I would be better off just getting a different job,
Old Jul 2, 2007, 03:52 PM   #9
riddlebox
macrumors newbie

I have now called:
Apple
AT&T
local AT&T stores

Just to bug them and show an interest. Any one want to help me and call Apple and AT&T to request a no camera option??? I have also found out the the following companies/locations do not allow cameras at there sites as well

caterpillar
Nissan (headquarters are now in Tennessee)
I can only assume more auto companies plants as well (GM, Ford, Dodge...)
John Deere
Many Department of Defense/Department of Energy research sites
I can only assume that this would include the pentagon or at least parts of it,
Many Courts are banning camera phones/ Law firms as well.

Any guess on how many people on that short list that excludes from getting a phone with a camera.

Please help me add to this list to show an large number of people that are currently unable to get the iPhone or even a decent phone due to cameras.

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2007, 03:59 PM   #10
princealfie
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to princealfie
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlebox View Post
I have now called:
Apple
AT&T
local AT&T stores

Just to bug them and show an interest. Any one want to help me and call Apple and AT&T to request a no camera option??? I have also found out the the following companies/locations do not allow cameras at there sites as well

caterpillar
Nissan (headquarters are now in Tennessee)
I can only assume more auto companies plants as well (GM, Ford, Dodge...)
John Deere
Many Department of Defense/Department of Energy research sites
I can only assume that this would include the pentagon or at least parts of it,
Many Courts are banning camera phones/ Law firms as well.

Any guess on how many people on that short list that excludes from getting a phone with a camera.

Please help me add to this list to show an large number of people that are currently unable to get the iPhone or even a decent phone due to cameras.

Thanks
Nice that's all of the places I graciously avoid!!!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 04:21 PM   #11
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Maybe the iPhone sim card will work on a cheapy, approved phone, and you can swap SIM cards when you go to work.

Just a thought...
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Private Sector
macrumors member

there's lots of jobs out there...
Private Sector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:03 PM   #13
lord patton
macrumors 65816

Well, there are around 2 million Americans with some security clearance, so you'll have no trouble finding some people in your same shoes. Even outside of official DOD and DOE installations, all the defense contractors have "secure" sites... Northrop Grumman, Ratheon, Boeing, Lockheed... they employ a lot of people.

But I really doubt Apple will listen.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:08 PM   #14
korndog2003
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to korndog2003 Send a message via AIM to korndog2003 Send a message via MSN to korndog2003 Send a message via Yahoo to korndog2003 Send a message via Skype™ to korndog2003
Just a thought leave phone in car?
korndog2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:15 PM   #15
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord patton View Post
Well, there are around 2 million Americans with some security clearance, so you'll have no trouble finding some people in your same shoes. Even outside of official DOD and DOE installations, all the defense contractors have "secure" sites... Northrop Grumman, Ratheon, Boeing, Lockheed... they employ a lot of people.

But I really doubt Apple will listen.
I work at a defense contractor, and it was just a year ago that we could have camera phones at work. The justification being, try finding a phone without one. Nigh impossible.

We still can't have computers with integrated webcams, that's for sure. So even if we weren't Windows-centric it would eliminate a large fraction of Apple options for us.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:57 PM   #16
riddlebox
macrumors newbie

I do doubt apple will listen as graphics/video seems to be there biggest interest. hence running games on my mac works so well

As for leaving it in the car, I'm in the north-east temp ranges from 90 to 10 below, this would kill the battery almost every day, and cameras are not even allowed in the parking lot.

The security would rather nobody have a phone than allow personal responsibility with a phone.

But... i will keep hoping.

Thanks for the comments thou
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:05 PM   #17
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

I was just told today that Raytheon, in particular, now allows cam phones. Of course, one should check with their security dept., if unsure of exact policies.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:13 PM   #18
riddlebox
macrumors newbie

Good to know. I'm sure in the end I will get my iPhone, just not take it to work . I'm going to start checking with security about this problem and try to get as many at work to do the same. But I know that will get know where.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 07:34 PM   #19
fishkorp
macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't cater to specific needs for secure sites, government or otherwise. there are plenty of government agencies that use Apple products but have to butcher them in-house to make them work for the (physically take a laptop apart to disable iSight, WiFi, bluetooth, etc). if they won't make the federal government a computer without a camera, what makes you think they'll make a phone without a camera?

you're just going to have to live without bringing it in. most of these types of facilities don't allow phones at all, so consider yourself lucky if you can even bring one.
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 08:16 PM   #20
aymr
macrumors newbie

Just read of a place that will remove a camera from the iPhone for $100.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/...amera.removal/

Hope that might help!

Aym
aymr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 03:56 PM   #21
riddlebox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymr View Post

Hope that might help!

Aym
Thanks! I'm going to check with work about this.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:47 PM   #22
billchase2
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to billchase2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymr View Post

Hope that might help!

Aym
i was just gonna post this. you beat me to it!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 07:47 AM   #23
secboy
macrumors newbie

Block Camera?? See www.securephone.se, quite old list of supported phones but today they support all symbian, microsoft and some iPhones.
secboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:06 AM   #24
v-roc
macrumors newbie

New housing???

What if you were to find someone who could make you a new back housing that blocks the camera part. That way if you quit the job you can replace the housing back to the original housing... Just a thought.
v-roc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:15 AM   #25
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-roc View Post
What if you were to find someone who could make you a new back housing that blocks the camera part. That way if you quit the job you can replace the housing back to the original housing... Just a thought.

That would be a potential option, and easy if he stuck with the 2G model. Swap the back from an iPod touch with the back of an original iPhone.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone