Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The G5 was designed for multiple CPUs. I fully expect 4-way systems to be available in the 2U rack mountable systems ASAP. I just wouldn't expect them to be as quiet as the PowerMac G5s.

This will probably be necessary to compete against the next round of faster Intel chips, continuing the strategy of selling dual G4s against faster P4s, to now sell quad G5s against dual P4s.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I thought programming for quad systems was harder than programming for 2, which is harder than programining for 1. I expect the quads will only be in the Xserves. Although it would be nice to see them in the PMs, but I just don't see many companies optimising their software for quads unless they are made standard accross the PM range.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by hvfsl
I thought programming for quad systems was harder than programming for 2, which is harder than programining for 1. I expect the quads will only be in the Xserves. Although it would be nice to see them in the PMs, but I just don't see many companies optimising their software for quads unless they are made standard accross the PM range.

It's harder to design CPUs, make chipsets, and program some bits of the operating system, in the way that you suggest, for more CPUs.

But, the 970 handles more CPUs just fine, and the operating system is based off of FreeBSD, which supports many CPUs, and I assume that Apple can either make the chipset, or get someone who knows how to, to make them.

For a server, it's not an issue about the applications needing to support multiple CPUs (via multi-threading), since you tend to need to support multiple users, and thus can simply run multiple instances of the applications.

Err, long story short: there's no technical reason why this wouldn't be possible :)

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
3 processors???

THere's nowhere a sign that PPC970 supports asymmetric multiprocessing. And why should it. Afaik SMP means processors in pairs.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Yeah, it's kinda gotta be 2, 4, 8, etc.

But I'm sure they'd design the OS to get it working right, even if the software isn't built for it. Be nice with 90 something % increases for each CPU.

Just don't look for it anytime soon in cheaper machines. XServes, maybe.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Re: 3 processors???

Originally posted by ipiloot
THere's nowhere a sign that PPC970 supports asymmetric multiprocessing.

I wouldn't attach too much importance to this rumor. They probably just added "3 processors" to their list to make it complete, even though it doesn't seem likely to happen with the PPC970. It's a common programmer's technique.

JimNoble

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
UK
Symmetric Multi Processing is where you have multiple [identical] CPUs all doing the same thing.

Asymmetric Multi Processing is where you have multiple CPUs with specific functions.

Both symmetric and asymmetric forms can be done with any number of processors >1.

Jim

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Originally posted by JimNoble
Symmetric Multi Processing is where you have multiple [identical] CPUs all doing the same thing.

Asymmetric Multi Processing is where you have multiple CPUs with specific functions.

Both symmetric and asymmetric forms can be done with any number of processors >1.

Jim

Thank You.

But why isn' there any 3-processor machines available then?

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Re: woot!

Originally posted by Drinahn
Could we expect Quad G5 PowerBooks tomorrow!!

My auntie's friend has a brother whose postman is a cousin of the grandma of a senior engineer at Apple. This very reliable source told me of an exciting new product at Apple for kids: The iBake will be a totally new multifunctional toy for children, featuring a total of four G5 processors, overclocked to run at 2.5 GHz. Two G5's each are teamed up to power one of two black circular interfaces seen on the product whose purpose has not been determined yet. The best is that Apple manages to run those four G5's without any fan at all! Jonathan Ive commented to a selected group of reporters that "this time, we're not avoiding heat issues, we're creating them on purpose". Whatever that is supposed to mean.

The picture (stolen from Apple's secret labs) seen at

http://www.erzi.de/katalog/images/products/10690_Kochplatte-KLgr.jpg

clearly shows that a number of bluetooth accessories will be available as well since I see no wires attached. Also, there don't seem to be any mouse buttons anymore -- another innovation from Apple.

SCNR ;)

Drinahn

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2003
Aussie in London
SMP`

Originally posted by ipiloot
Thank You.

But why isn' there any 3-processor machines available then?

/me looks at the 3 cpu box next to him.

There are, I have a 3 cpu SPARCServer right next to me... and with a bit of expense I can make it 8 cpu, or anything in between.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: woot!

Originally posted by Drinahn
lol, I could resist, I had to become a member to say...

woot! Could we expect Quad G5 PowerBooks tomorrow!!

i can't wait!! lol:p
seriously, that will come evenbtually. (hundreds of years from now:p)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't know much on the subject - but could this have to do with clustering? There has been talk about Mac G5 clusters - n-cpus.....that would make sense for this bit of text. Going with 4 CPUs in one box right now seems a bit much - especially given the current internal config of the G5.

Not that I wouldn't want to have a quad G5....;)

D

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by hvfsl
I thought programming for quad systems was harder than programming for 2, which is harder than programining for 1.

Programming a single workflow application to take advantage multiple processors is harder than programming it for a single processor, yes. However, in general, if you have your code set up to handle two processors it should be next to trivial to get it to support four, eight, sixteen, etc.

On the other hand, multiple single-threaded applications also work smashingly well in an n-processor system ...

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
I don;t think apple would make a 4 processor Pmac. Imagine having to pay $6000.00 entry-level for a 4 processor pmac.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I don't know much on the subject - but could this have to do with clustering? There has been talk about Mac G5 clusters - n-cpus.....that would make sense for this bit of text. Going with 4 CPUs in one box right now seems a bit much - especially given the current internal config of the G5.

Not that I wouldn't want to have a quad G5....;)

D

Anything is possible and clustering, in some form, is supposed to be part of Panther.

Most servers and big machines have had support for large numbers of processors for quite a while. I've worked with an IBM iSeries model 840 which had 24 PowerPC processors.

The efficiency of the operating system needs to improve though, if Apple will sell the processors as add-ons at some point. Hopefully, Darwin has been improved to exploit any processor's power in multiple processor configurations.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
multiple pocessor panther

maybe this is for some kind of integrated clustering feature like appleseed. I thought I read something about that somewhere...

hmm a little late on that post:eek:

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I remember reading a long time ago when MacOS X came out that it had support for up to 32 processors. Is this still the case or not?!

Next, with the new ability for certain Apple programs to share resources over a network for processing, it is possible we will see this application before >2 XServes/PMacs.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
multiple pocessor panther

maybe this is for some kind of integrated clustering feature like appleseed. I thought I read something about that somewhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.