Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Has anyone tried to activate the their iphone on Friday and are still waiting? I'm going on 48 hours of activation hell and at least 6 hours on the phone with AT&T and Apple. No dice. Worst experience ever. Just want to know if this is just me or are their others still waiting to actually use their iphones.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Has anyone tried to activate the their iphone on Friday and are still waiting? I'm going on 48 hours of activation hell and at least 6 hours on the phone with AT&T and Apple. No dice. Worst experience ever. Just want to know if this is just me or are their others still waiting to actually use their iphones.

I set up one iPhone on Friday night with a new number no problem. My family then bought the second iPhone from me, and they are porting a number from verison. I received 2 emails, pne from apple and the other from att, both saying the order is on the works. It has only been a few hours though.

kjiphone

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
I have been waiting for over 48 hours myself and I have called AT&T 5 times. No luck. Feel like I have an expensive coaster at this point. Also, they cut off my blackberry so I have no cell phone at this point. Has anyone else been waiting this long?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Not waiting for activation anymore, but still waiting on Verizon to finish porting my number over so I can stop carrying my Razr around with me. Hopefully tomorrow. :(

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
My activation took about two minutes but I know a few people still waiting... They're waiting for ports though and not "activation"

-posted via iPhone

geesno6

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
Over 48 hrs, still waiting

My girlfriend and I both got iPhones on Friday. My activation sailed through, with my number porting over within 15 min. or so. Unfortunately, my girlfriend has had no such luck--she's still waiting as of Sunday evening. It's a pretty big buzzkill. We both got home, excitedly unwrapped our phones, and only one of us has been up and running since then. She can't even use the non-phone features yet--she's still stuck on the "emergency activation only" screen. Maybe it's karma: I waited on line from 3:30 on, and she met me as the line started to move! :)

She has taken it pretty well; I on the other hand would have gone insane from the anticipation by now!

Bunsen

macrumors member
May 1, 2007
Orlando FL
I just got mine activated today at 3:30p. Started the activation process at 7:30p Friday night. It took 7 calls to AT&T to straighten out my old rate plans, and a trip to an AT&T store to migrate my wife's non iPhone to a newer plan.

We were old AT&T wireless customers (before the merge to Cingular) and were on a grandfathered in shared-minutes plan that had been bought using a company discount. All those things worked against the iPhone activation.

Did you get an email that says you need to call AT&T to complete Activation?
If so, KEEP CALLING and pushing them to do a manual activation! If they tell you you just need to wait it out, REFUSE. All the reps I talked to early on didn't realize that when your plans are that screwed up, the automatic activation kicks you out and will not continue without manual intervention on their part.
My last call today, on a whim, and the guy did one thing on the computer, and literally 20 seconds later, I got the activation email, and was up and running. If I didn't insist on manual activation, I would still be waiting!

Good Luck!!!

iPhonePhan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Apple FanBoy Land
I just got it this afternoon. I fudged the SSN and got thru up until the part where I am awaiting the supposed activation email from at&t so that I can choose the Pay as You Go plan (sans contract).

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. Worst case scenario, I lose $50 but it's worth giving it a shot!

sikuss

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
I agree with the suggestion about manual activation. I called 877-800-3701, chose option 1 and after about 25 minutes in the que, I was helped by a woman who manually pushed the activation through. She didn't know what do do at first but she asked her "technical supervisor" for assistance and I was up and running within 15 minutes.

CALL THE 3701 NUMBER AND ASK FOR A MANUAL ACTIVATION!

iPhonePhan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Apple FanBoy Land
I agree with the suggestion about manual activation. I called 877-800-3701, chose option 1 and after about 25 minutes in the que, I was helped by a woman who manually pushed the activation through. She didn't know what do do at first but she asked her "technical supervisor" for assistance and I was up and running within 15 minutes.

CALL THE 3701 NUMBER AND ASK FOR A MANUAL ACTIVATION!

I'm doing that right now! LoL Even though I just got it a 1 hour ago, I'm going to see if they can push that activation right through.

I need it to be a Pay as You Go Plan though, but let's see what I can accomplish over the phone. I'm just going to say that I got the email to call them and that I need the phone to be activated manually. Wish me luck (expected wait time is 20 mins though :( )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.