Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
My friend is running Outlook 2003 on a PC and just updated itunes so she could plug her iphone in and sync to Outlook. However, after the update and reboot, she started Outlook and got an error message that said an itunes Outlook add-in caused an error. Then, Outlook shutdown.

Has anyone else experienced this or had any problems? I did a search and it looks like everyone syncing their iphone to Outlook has had no issues. Thanks!

cashsosa

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Exactly

I was able to sync at home with no issues. I went to work and repeated the same thing and no luck... I spent 3 hours yesterday with Apple Support and no luck... I'm syncing with my old phone at work now and using that as a bridge to home... I'm waiting for someone to have a solution... If you need to use outlook all you can do is disable the add-in.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
So one of your PC's is syncing the iphone with Outlook contacts with no problem and the other one isn't?

I checked Apple's discussion groups and it seems to be a problem for a majority of people. Hopefully, this will be addressed in some type of software update soon.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
My friend is running Outlook 2003 on a PC and just updated itunes so she could plug her iphone in and sync to Outlook. However, after the update and reboot, she started Outlook and got an error message that said an itunes Outlook add-in caused an error. Then, Outlook shutdown.

Has anyone else experienced this or had any problems? I did a search and it looks like everyone syncing their iphone to Outlook has had no issues. Thanks!

I have this problem. After the initial error, you can check the Outlook iTunes Sync Addin, but you have to restart Outlook for it to take effect. When you restart, it's unchecked. iPhone sync won't work without it.

The limited work-around is to upload your contacts to a Yahoo address book (export the contacts file as a comma seperated value file for Windows and then import this to Yahoo), but Yahoo ignores any contacts without an email address.

I have look high and low for a solution, but I see nothing on Apple or MS or any other forum.

HVerbesey

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
serious problem with 'outlook itunes addin'

Got my iPhone on Friday and installed iTunes that night only to find that "Outlook experienced a serious problem with the 'Outlook iTunes addin'." Outlook continued to blow up until I disabled the add-in. [At the same time my .pst file became corrupt. Fortunately I was able to restore it from a week old backup so I only lost a week of emails!]

After two visits to an Apple Store and two calls to customer support I was told that iTunes does not support Outlook 2002. So I went out and bought a new 2007 version of Office to the tune of about $500. Guess what. I still have the same problem even after reinstalling iTunes! Maybe the addin only works with Outlook 2003. Seems to me that that limitation should be printed boldly somewhere.

So now I have bought an iPhone, cancelled phone service on my Pocket PC and have no ability to sync with my calendar or contact list. Real nice, Apple. Way to go! You better come out with a fix soon or you will have at least one unhappy customer.

Has anyone gotten the iPhone to sync with Outlook 2002 or Outlook 2007?

qt77

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
I too cannot sync, when I check the outlook sync add-in button in Tools/options/advanced options/comm add-ins, I either get an error when restarting outlook, or the outlook sync add-in is again unchecked....frustrating. It appears it has someting to do with the registry keys...what ever they are! :confused:

darabbadiee

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
I am glad to see that I was not dreaming ... same issue with me and I have even gone to the advanced options screen of outlook to enable the addins but no trace of it ... would appreciate if anyone is got any idea how to resolve this issue.

Dara b.

cashsosa

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Apple Support

Yeah I spent 3 hours with them on monday. I am running Outlook 2007 at at work and home. I tried running 2003 at work and it still wouldn't take. I've just given up on work for now. I'm just using my pda as a bridge in the meantime...

yobigpapa

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
works when not online to exchange server

i have outlook 2007, and I just had the sync work while disconnected from the server at home. i re-enabled the iphone plug in from the Trust Center (Tools in outlook). i then launched the iphone sync in Itunes (without opening outlook). When you do the sync, it launches outlook, and for some reason, it doesn't have the same error. the sync worked perfectly.

however, then i closed outlook again and relaunched and received the same error :( so i had to disable it again. good news is that it works, the bad news is looks like i will have to keep disabling/reenabling.

ab56cc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
this is rediculous

I can not believe that iphone launches without having Outlook Sync down pat.

My 500$ phone is useless to me without Outlook Contacts synced.

getting same ADDIN error as mentioned above. (outlook 2003)

rocketj

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Fix for Outlook 2003/iPhone sync

I'm using Outlook 2003 on Windows xp, and had the same add-in problem. This is the fix that worked for me:

1) Go into Tools/Options/Other/COM Add-ins. Highlight the Outlook Sync ITunes Plugin and click "remove".

2) Once removed, click okay and go back to Outlook.

3) Go back into Tools/Options/Other/COM Add-ins and add the Outlook Sync iTunes Plugin directly. Do this by clicking "add", then look for the file c:/program files/common files/apple/bin/outlooksyncclient.dll . Once added, make sure the box is checked on.

4) Click okay, then close Outlook.

5) Go to iTunes and sync, and it should work.

The problem seems to be that when iTunes installs the COM Add-in, it doesn't update the register correctly. Add it directly in Outlook and it should work.

Best of luck everyone...

yobigpapa

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
working...

i have outlook 2007, and after installing the new version of itunes (7.3.1.3) and re-enabling the add-in, my calendar is finally syncing correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.