Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
My iPhone was changing from EDGE to WiFi automatically yesterday at my gf's house? Today I am in the WiFi settings and pick her network, but the E won't change to the airport symbol...anyone know why?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I think there are some synching issues with some routers on wifi. This is problematic, because one of the only solutions I have seen work so far is rebooting the router while the phone is off and then bring the phone back and reactivate wifi.

This is not good for wifi spots outside the home, although I don't know that the issues are the same.

What kind of router does your girlfriend have?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I think there are some synching issues with some routers on wifi. This is problematic, because one of the only solutions I have seen work so far is rebooting the router while the phone is off and then bring the phone back and reactivate wifi.

This is not good for wifi spots outside the home, although I don't know that the issues are the same.

What kind of router does your girlfriend have?

Thanks..I'm going to try rebooting the iPhone.

She has a linksys.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
rebooting didnt work

It must be her router because it picks up fine at my house.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm having a similar issue. My Airport symbol pops up for a few seconds and then switches back to the EDGE symbol when I try to use my home network.

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Yeah your not the only one. I got mine to connect to my wireless network (one that came with Verizon FiOS) the day I got it. But the EDGE would not activate. So I turned it off and back on. It then worked! But now my EDGE is the only one that works. And yes I have turned it back off and on. Anybody know?

designsynergy

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Philly, PA
I had a quick WiFi issue, but resolved it by turning off WiFi in the 'Settings' menu and then turning it back on.

When I first set-up my iPhone it jumped right on to my WiFi network. After leaving my apartment and coming back the iPhone could see the network, but stayed on EDGE. After that quick on/off of WiFi everything was good-to-go.

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
I tried turning it off and on and it still did not work. When it loses the EDGE signal, I displays the WI-FI symbol. Unfortunately, YouTube and Safari do not work when this happens. It just says "Could not activate EDGE" and then gives me the bull excuse of "Cannot connect to server" when I can see that I have full WI-FI signal. :mad:

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I tried turning it off and on and it still did not work. When it loses the EDGE signal, I displays the WI-FI symbol. Unfortunately, YouTube and Safari do not work when this happens. It just says "Could not activate EDGE" and then gives me the bull excuse of "Cannot connect to server" when I can see that I have full WI-FI signal. :mad:

Weird. My Wifi symbol comes on, but as soon as I try to use Safari it switches back to EDGE.:confused:

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
All of us with a very similar issue. Hopefully this will be a simple fix in the first software update.

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
I had a very similar problem...fixed my issue with a few taps;
Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings

That didn't work for me. Let me just make sure that I am understanding this right. When I am in my routers range, it should automatically switch to Wi-Fi? If so man, I really want this fixed because EDGE is painfully slow compared to 802.11G!!

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
this happens to me sometimes. i've got airport at home... it ALWAYS joins that. everything else... it asks me.

man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone. man i love the iphone.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I know that Time Warner has been experiencing connectivity issues in the Southwest (at least) the last couple days. When I lose the internet, I still have full connectivity with the router, but after a timeout the unit switches to EDGE. Maybe something similar is affecting you as well?

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
I too have been having this issue. i assumed it was the router, which I'm not sure where they even keep it at work, but as soon as I do I'm gonna reset that sucker. It must be certain routers because almost everywhere I go, I have no issues.

ctapia

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Wifi Problems as well

I'm having similar problems, iphone detects my 2wire wireless router, I enter the WEP key and appears to connect. I jump on internet via Iphone Safari browser and "Edge" takes over.
I tried the suggestions here. Reset the network, cycled power on the router and rebooted the Iphone. Nothing, I can only connect to internet on edge and no wifi. :confused:

Out of curiousity, my "http proxy" settings under my router are set to "off" Anyone else have a different settings?

mercury6966

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
wow so glad it's not just happening to...

i have the exact problem but it started after i did a restore on the iphone being that the apps would just shut of in the middle of using it (i found that its also a common thing with iphone users) i figure since it said if you are having problems with your iphone do a restore. Wifi was working fine when i 1st got it last friday it would find the connection and i would be running off the wifi signal that was until the restore and ever since yesterday edge is always on in the wifi window my router shows up i enter the password the wifi signal appears when the lock icon goes away 2 secs later the wifi signal goes away and edge appears and the lock icon shows back up. I noticed that when i make a call though edge dissappears and the wifi icon appears. I called apple and the guy was trying to tell me it was my router which is BS cause thenwhy does iphone stop using edge when i make calls and starts using wifi but when i hang up edge appears again. The apple guy wanted me to go into my router setting and change it all ariound i told him no cause it's working fine with all my laptops and psp and it had been working with the iphone till i did the restore. I understand that there is going to be bugs at 1st but i'm not going to be calling tech support and doing the whole hour long calls . i called At&T and i told them i want them to exchange my iphone for a new one cause i did'nt fork up over $600 to have me call for support 5 days later. they said no problem to just go to the store i bought it in and they would exchange it. i know bugs will be fixed but damn! i can live with using the edge betwork afew times when i'm not near a hotspot but to have to use it all the time it just to much , it's like they are forcing you to use edge and still pay them a crap load of money. ok i'm done with my rant lol:D

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
i have the exact problem but it started after i did a restore on the iphone being that the apps would just shut of in the middle of using it (i found that its also a common thing with iphone users) i figure since it said if you are having problems with your iphone do a restore. Wifi was working fine when i 1st got it last friday it would find the connection and i would be running off the wifi signal that was until the restore and ever since yesterday edge is always on in the wifi window my router shows up i enter the password the wifi signal appears when the lock icon goes away 2 secs later the wifi signal goes away and edge appears and the lock icon shows back up. I noticed that when i make a call though edge dissappears and the wifi icon appears. I called apple and the guy was trying to tell me it was my router which is BS cause thenwhy does iphone stop using edge when i make calls and starts using wifi but when i hang up edge appears again. The apple guy wanted me to go into my router setting and change it all ariound i told him no cause it's working fine with all my laptops and psp and it had been working with the iphone till i did the restore. I understand that there is going to be bugs at 1st but i'm not going to be calling tech support and doing the whole hour long calls . i called At&T and i told them i want them to exchange my iphone for a new one cause i did'nt fork up over $600 to have me call for support 5 days later. they said no problem to just go to the store i bought it in and they would exchange it. i know bugs will be fixed but damn! i can live with using the edge betwork afew times when i'm not near a hotspot but to have to use it all the time it just to much , it's like they are forcing you to use edge and still pay them a crap load of money. ok i'm done with my rant lol:D

So did you get a new iPhone? Did you have to pay any freakin fees or anything like that? Because I am with you, EDGE is okay when I am forced to on the road but I should be able to use WiFi at my own house!!

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Does anybody know if Apple will just take my iPhone back (since it is not doing what it is supposed to) without having to pay a restocking fee?

mercury6966

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
good news at least for me

:D Success! well I got my iphone exchanged for a new one. I went to the At&T store where i got it like they to do and of course At&t does'nt know sh*t i walked in and when i told them i wanted to exchange my iphone for a new one cause i was having issues they just looked at me like "Exchange?" they were like "um i don't know if we can do that" and then they try to say there might be a $60 charge to do an exhange, i flipped lol i told them you want to charge me to exchange something thats not working right? then one of there people said that "oh no it would be no charge if you exchange it for the same one" which is what told i wanted to do lol theysaid they did not have anymore 8 gb but to go to the apple store which is 2 stores down cause they were the ones that need to hande exchanges. I went to apple and they were basicly saying that at&t is just sending everyone over to them, I talked to the manger and told him the problem the wifi thing he tried to say since i bought it at the at&t store i have to go to them cause they could not exchnage it if it was bought there, i said they sent me here cause they don't have anymore 8g and i'nt this an apple product anyway? once i said that he said that he would have to 1st have me see the guys at the geniusbar to see if an exchange needed to happen. i re-explaind everything to the guy and he said " ok well just exchange it, cause we don't want you to leave here unhappy" and that was it they did the exchange took out my sim card and inserted it in the new one and phone was up and running in 2 sec left there very happy with my new and working iphone. apple is alot better at treating the customers then at&t does for sure. oh and the guy said that applecare for the iphone was coming end of this month or for sure next and will be around 60 bucks.

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Thats awesome mercury! I think I am going to do that too. I got mine at the Apple store so lucky me. But you had to set up a Genius Bar appointment thing? Oh well.... Does yours work fine now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.