Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 1, 2007, 09:56 PM   #1
iPhonePhan
macrumors regular

How do you open the SIM tray?

I'm sticking the paperclip into the iPhone but the damn SIM tray won't open. Am I doing something wrong?
iPhonePhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:13 PM   #2
upenox
macrumors newbie

Put the paperclip in the hole as close to the "earphone side" as possible and then push down. You'll know you have it because it comes out pretty easily once you hit the "sweet spot"
upenox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3
iPhonePhan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upenox View Post
Put the paperclip in the hole as close to the "earphone side" as possible and then push down. You'll know you have it because it comes out pretty easily once you hit the "sweet spot"
Thanks! I actually got it open a couple of seconds after I posted that. As it turns out, iFixit mentioned that you had to push it down, more than you would expect, just to get it out.

Putting in my SIM from my current at&t plan into an un-activated iPhone resulted in no dice though. I'm just waiting patiently to get through to customer support. I've been waiting now....50 mins...
iPhonePhan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Nall
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhonePhan View Post
Putting in my SIM from my current at&t plan into an un-activated iPhone resulted in no dice though. I'm just waiting patiently to get through to customer support. I've been waiting now....50 mins...
Any SIM you put in still has to be activated via the iTunes method. Some people here seem to have iPhone SIM cards that have been activated by AT&T but not by Apple yet.
Nall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:53 PM   #5
meagain
macrumors 68030

The 2 of us are really struggling to get the SIM tray open. We can get it, but it's hit or miss. It takes alot of force and a perfect angle. I wish I could see the path inside.

A mere standard small paperclip isn't enough as the clip gets mangled/bent.
Is it like this for everyone else? And, has anyone come up with a proper strong tool to do this?
meagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:03 PM   #6
steviem
macrumors 68020

I know its an old thread, but I hate to open threads when they are already there...

Anyway, I tried using a paperclip, but it snapped part of the way in there!

How can I get the tray out now? I cancelled my phone contract so I was wanting to put in an O2 PAYG sim that I have.

I'm back to having an iPod Touch lol...
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:06 PM   #7
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
You need to use a larger paper clip, something around .7mm is the best. Or, you could do what I do and just use the metal tip on a mechanical pencil. The latch is about 1mm in, so it shouldn't take much to pop it, anything longer and you just missed the latch.

TEG
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:09 PM   #8
steviem
macrumors 68020

damn i think i've buggered it then.

Not good
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:00 AM   #9
rwd hero
macrumors 6502

My phone came with a "tool" to open the sim tray. It works much better than a paperclip (although i have used one when the "tool" was not handy).
rwd hero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 01:16 AM   #10
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviem View Post
IAnyway, I tried using a paperclip, but it snapped part of the way in there!
Sorry for the dumb question... The paper clip snapped or some part of the phone?
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:20 AM   #11
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Isn't there a video or youtube video that demonstrates the use of a paperclip or the tool that came with the 3G iPhone?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:04 AM   #12
steviem
macrumors 68020

The Paperclip snapped inside, so I got a really sharp knife......

No, I didn't slit my wrist, I popped the tray out by slipping it between the edges and it came out with the bit of paperclip too.

Phew
Old Aug 30, 2008, 05:03 AM   #13
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
This was all related to the "Classic" iPhone which did not come with the SIM Tray tool.

TEG
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:18 AM   #14
Dop
macrumors newbie

I just bought it 1 hour ago and i have the same problem.Tray won't come out with the original tool.
Dop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:58 AM   #15
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviem View Post
The Paperclip snapped inside, so I got a really sharp knife......

No, I didn't slit my wrist, I popped the tray out by slipping it between the edges and it came out with the bit of paperclip too.

Phew
That's where I was heading but hadn't tried it. Last night I turned off my phone to pop the SIM tray out and also see what mechanism prevents it from being inserted backwards (different thread). Anyway, I chickened out and turned my phone back on and no third party application has worked since. Will have four hours into it tonight to get it back to fully functional.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone