Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:26 AM   #1
xwingsct
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Connecting MacBook to external monitor questions.

OK. I feel so stupid right now. I'm pretty sure this has been answered 100 times already in here.
I connected the cable to my WS external LCD and I can't get it to fill up the whole screen. I normally set my screen to 1080X1050 under Vista. When I set that under my Macbook I only get small screen in the middle of my monitor.

Second question. I press F7 to get the picture to display on my monitor. When I close the macbook I lost the signal. Do I have to wait until the Macbook go into sleep mode before I can close it?

Thanks.
xwingsct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Make sure you don't have Mirroring on (see Display Preferences). With it switched off you can choose a different resolution for each screen in Display Preferences.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3
xwingsct
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Make sure you don't have Mirroring on (see Display Preferences). With it switched off you can choose a different resolution for each screen in Display Preferences.
OK. I unchecked mirroring display and all I got on my screen is the wall paper. No icons.

This is how I did it.
I boot the system up.
I press F7 once.
I get everything on my screen (But not filling up the whole screen)
I went into display and change the resolution to 1080X1050 to fit my monitor and uncheck mirroring display. After I did that I only get the wallpaper on my screen with no icons only mouse cursor and when I close the laptop I lost signal.

Did I do it right ?
xwingsct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:29 AM   #4
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingsct View Post
OK. I unchecked mirroring display and all I got on my screen is the wall paper. No icons.

This is how I did it.
I boot the system up.
I press F7 once.
I get everything on my screen (But not filling up the whole screen)
I went into display and change the resolution to 1080X1050 to fit my monitor and uncheck mirroring display. After I did that I only get the wallpaper on my screen with no icons only mouse cursor and when I close the laptop I lost signal.

Did I do it right ?
When you are not on mirroring mode the screens are independent. In the Display Preferences Window on the main screen (the one with the menu bar) you can set how the screens relate to each other. You should be able to move your mouse off the main screen via whichever side you set to the other screen. You can drag windows etc with it.

If you want the external screen to be the main screen then drag the little menu bar on the Display Preferences monitor setup to the other screen
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 09:57 AM   #5
xwingsct
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
When you are not on mirroring mode the screens are independent. In the Display Preferences Window on the main screen (the one with the menu bar) you can set how the screens relate to each other. You should be able to move your mouse off the main screen via whichever side you set to the other screen. You can drag windows etc with it.

If you want the external screen to be the main screen then drag the little menu bar on the Display Preferences monitor setup to the other screen
I finally got it to work. After I close the notebook. the screen went blank and I open the notebook up and press F7 again and everything shows on my monitor. That's strange I don't know if that's how it's done but it works for me this way.

thanks for all your help guys.
xwingsct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:13 AM   #6
smallpot
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Thanks ...

A big thanks to robbieduncan for the tip on how to switch the main focus to the external monitor!
smallpot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:23 PM   #7
LosX
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Similar issue external monitor only shows wallpaper

I had a similar issue but could not get the F7 key to do anything (on my macbook it is a "rewind" symbol so maybe this works on a different kind of mac)

The screen of my macbook simply doesn't work because it had a coke spilled on it so I couldn't go directly to sys prefs and make changes. I connected an external monitor and just got the wallpaper as described above. I finally was able to get it to work by hitting fn-option-F2 to get the system preferences for "syncmaster" and display to show up on the external monitor. I then chose the "arrangement" button and at the bottom of the window there is a check box that said "mirror displays". It was un-checked and I checked it and voila, all fixed.

So if you try all of the other advise in other posts and it doesn't work for you, you may want to give this method a shot. Good luck!
LosX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warrington, UK
If you want to use the external screen with the MacBook shut, then you must use a wired mouse and keyboard. Close the MacBook and wait for it to go to sleep, then wake it with the mouse or the keyboard.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131
__________________
PPC Mini, 10.4.11, Intel Mini, 10.6.8, White MacBook 10.8.5
iPhone 3GS, using o2 PAYG
Dave Braine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 05:42 PM   #9
ellenm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I use my MBP closed with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it works fine. The mouse wakes the computer up and the external display comes on. Just an FYI.
__________________
13" MBP, iPhone 4 16gb, iPad 3G 32gb
Twitter - EllenM1206
ellenm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:45 PM   #10
iAlexG
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida, Missing Britain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
If you want to use the external screen with the MacBook shut, then you must use a wired mouse and keyboard. Close the MacBook and wait for it to go to sleep, then wake it with the mouse or the keyboard.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131
I use the wireless keyboard and magic mouse and it wakes up my MBP by just hitting space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenm View Post
I use my MBP closed with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it works fine. The mouse wakes the computer up and the external display comes on. Just an FYI.
My Magic mouse doesnt wake up my MBP but my old mighty mouse did. Weird
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz | iPhone 4 16GB | 32GB Ipod Touch 2nd Gen
iAlexG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 04:00 AM   #11
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warrington, UK
Quote:
I use my MBP closed with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it works fine.
Yeah. It says that in the article, doesn't it.
__________________
PPC Mini, 10.4.11, Intel Mini, 10.6.8, White MacBook 10.8.5
iPhone 3GS, using o2 PAYG
Dave Braine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
OxWordBarber
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I sometimes get the external monitor starting and not the MacBook screen. This works:

System Preferences > Displays. There's a check box for 'Show Displays in Menu Bar'. Check it.

Anytime only one screen comes on, click the display icon in the menu bar and click Detect Displays.

Bingo! They both work as normal.
OxWordBarber is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bizarre effects connecting external monitor Skald MacBook Pro 9 Apr 14, 2011 08:03 PM
Cable to connect MBP to external monitor? kzbr720 MacBook Pro 3 Sep 3, 2010 06:27 PM
macbook and external monitor question poblack MacBook 3 Oct 12, 2008 04:08 PM
Connecting macbook to external monitor poohat1000 Mac Basics and Help 5 Jun 4, 2007 07:19 AM
Connect Macbook to External Monitor. xwingsct Mac Basics and Help 5 Aug 18, 2006 12:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC