Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Has anyone found a way to change the sort order of the email folders? I've moved emails out of my "inbox" and into sub folders to make it easier to go through with the iPhone, but it seems that the default sort order is by "arrival", and I don't see an option to change that. That might be ok normally, but as the order that emails arrived in the folder does not correspond to the date order, It's a real pain in the butt. I have stuff from 2005 that is at th top of the order, and finding the email from last week is almost impossible.

-jt2

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
I'm having the same problem. Am using IMAP and initially an incoming email from a friend ("Jane") briefly appears in the Inbox, before being moved to the "Jane" folder. Given that Jane has sent me ~1000 messages over the last couple of months I can't see this message anymore on my iPhone (because it has only downloaded 25 messages.

Anybody know a solution?

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
No solutions, or suggestions?

I solved this on one of the folders by copying the messages to my home computer, and then copying them back to the imap server, one message at a time, in the order of the date. This was with 650 messages, and was a real pain in the butt. I really don't want to do it with the other filters that are between 3000 and 5000 messages long.

Anyone have any suggestions that would work with the imap server, or maybe from a unix shell? Once the existing messages are sorted, the iPhone really doesn't have to support sorting.

-jt2

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Having the same exact issue.

In my case, I moved all my mail (approximately 1.5 years, ~4000 messages) from Gmail to .Mac imap

I'm still looking for a solution because .Mac's support by email is useless. I explained the problem in detail and they wrote me back saying to click the column header to sort the column by date :rolleyes:

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
SOLUTION!!

Ok, finally, i have figured out why this was broken. It's because it will put the emails back on to the .Mac servers in the order you move them there, irrespective of their actual dates

So, to fix it, delete all of your mail off .Mac (assuming you have a backup somewhere). Make a local folder in Mail.app and put the emails you want to put back on to .Mac in order into this folder.

Now, sort this newly made folder by date (Oldest first) so that your newest message is all the way at the bottom.

Next, and this is pretty important, you are going to want to transfer you email in chunks of about 40 at a time. For some reason if i tried 100 at a time, it would just randomly copy the first couple of messages and stop doing the rest and would also delete them off my local folder. Quite messy. Forget about doing 3000 messages at once, it will not work.

So, 40 by 40 take your oldest messages and put them back on to the .Mac server (in mail.app, by moving them from the local folder to the .Mac folder). It is a good idea to have the activity viewer open during this process (hit cmd+0) so you know to move on to the next batch of 40 once the previous batch is completely done moving and syncing. You will also want to turn the New mail checking interval to Manual -- that can bog it down too IMO.

And that's really it, just keep doing it until it is done. Each time, make sure all 40 made it there. It took me a while to get all my inbox and sent messages this way, but now it is all working properly on my macbook/iPhone/webmail...so to me it is worth it.

Hope this helps!

AuburnTigerr

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
folders?

Hi! This is probably a dumb question, but how do you create folders in your e-mail application to be able to sort your e-mails into? I use GMail, if that is any use. Thanks for the help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.