Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DistrictMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Hi. I'm having trouble setting up Yahoo mail on my iPhone and was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. When I enter my Yahoo account information and password i get an error message that says "Cannot get mail. The user name or password for "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect. I've tried this a zillion times and get the same error so I know it's not a typo with my user name or password. I've also managed to set up my gmail account with no problem. Anyone else know what the problem might be? I know lots of folks are having trouble getting Yahoo push to work...I could only be so lucky to have that problem. Thanks in advance!

DistrictMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Nothing like solving your own problem, huh? Another forum member posted the solution I needed. Apparently iPhone does not recognize certain characters in a password, in my case this was the pound (#) sign. After changing my Yahoo password to remove the pound sign my iPhone had no problem accessing my Yahoo account. I'm still having the same problems other folks are experiencing with the app crashing back to the home screen as soon as i hit send, but at least i'm in my mail account. I'll take what I can get...

jfkelley

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Special characters not the problem for me

My password has nothing but alphanumeric, A-Z,a-z,0-9 (something I probably should not confess publicly! :eek:

I still encounter the problem. Apple deskside support could not solve it. I can log on fine with my creds using the browser, but still get the "Cannot get mail" error on my iPhone 3G. :confused:

I was able to add my gmail account, no problem. :cool:

I tried the Yahoo!Mail setup on 3G, Edge, and WiFi - same result. I even followed the Apple deskside support guy's last-ditch suggestion -- completely restore my iPhone. Aside from not working, that turned out to be a total disaster on this busy July 11 weekend! :eek:

I really would like the free push (it used to work for me on my old iPhone). :rolleyes:

jfkelley

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
WORKAROUND (for me)

I don't know what the problem might have been with my old yahoo account (I could access it fine in browser).

Anyway, I created a new yahoo email id and it worked.

armywife

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Hi. I'm having trouble setting up Yahoo mail on my iPhone and was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. When I enter my Yahoo account information and password i get an error message that says "Cannot get mail. The user name or password for "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect. I've tried this a zillion times and get the same error so I know it's not a typo with my user name or password. I've also managed to set up my gmail account with no problem. Anyone else know what the problem might be? I know lots of folks are having trouble getting Yahoo push to work...I could only be so lucky to have that problem. Thanks in advance!

Same exact problem here. I can sign in to Yahoo Mail on my computer, no problem. My password is only alpha-numeric. Setting up a new Yahoo Mail account yields the same problem.

My husband and I got our iPhones at the same time (although mine did arrive at the store first) and his Yahoo Mail works no problem!

armywife

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
OK. Weirdest thing ever! I now can receive Yahoo email on my iPhone 3G, but can't send. During one of the numerous times I tried to set up the email, I mistakenly put myusername@yahoo.cpm instead of yahoo.com. It instantly verified the account and email came in. I still cannot send, however. That is crazy! Could it be someone somewhere made the same typo when programming??

ganarao

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
Problem setting up Yahoo mail on iPhone

u need to go in to yahoo mail and change the password that should do the trick.. i had some porblem as u after u change the password problem is solve. hope its works for u

jonburke

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
The answer to yahoo imap.apple.yahoo.com cannot login error....

In the first field / name field put your email address just as in the line below it for your login, then put your password. Should work! :)

-Jon

macr92

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
from what I can tell, no one else is having problems with setting up their gmail account. this is not the case with me, however. my 3G always says the imap.gmail.com server is not working with my phone. therefore, I cannot even read my emails, much less send anything. can anyone offer insight?

pgpta

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Problem setting up Yahoo mail on iPhone

ignore the warning.. Save the account.
Switch off the phone.
Switch it back on.
Should solve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.