Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pherplexed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Everytime i make a call, a little popup comes up that says "Call Forwarding Active" with a button that says dismiss. I can either hit the button or it just goes away after a few seconds.

Anybody else getting this or know what this means? I checked the settings and call forwarding isn't turned on....and i'm receiving calls as normal. Just curious why it says that everytime i make a call.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Apparently you have call forwarding on. I used CallWave before getting iPhone and to disable call forwarding you type ##004# and hit call. May or may not work on iPhone.

pherplexed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Apparently you have call forwarding on. I used CallWave before getting iPhone and to disable call forwarding you type ##004# and hit call. May or may not work on iPhone.

there's no way i have call forwarding on because i'm receiving phone calls. and the call forwarding under settings is turned off.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
AT&T has a feature called call forwarding that will forward your calls to voice mail if you are on the phone. I don't recall seeing the message until just a few months ago on my Razr, but I suspect that it works the same on the iPhone.

I've tested mine by dialing out, and then calling the phone while still on the initial call. I get the "outgoing call forwarding" message, but am still able to answer the second call, and all the other features also work. I don't know what would happen if I got a third call. I'm not sure what the limit is.

Perhaps you don't have wall waiting turned on?

-jt2

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
AT&T has a feature called call forwarding that will forward your calls to voice mail if you are on the phone. I don't recall seeing the message until just a few months ago on my Razr, but I suspect that it works the same on the iPhone.

I get this inconsistently on T-Mobile GSM phones... I've always thought that it meant that network limitations would prevent me from using call waiting to answer the interrupting call, but in truth, I have never understood what it means. :confused:

c.greene914

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
I would like to know something about this issue as well. Just an annoyance, but I would like it to go away.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I did some searching, and it's widely reported, particularly on Nokias, but no one can seem to explain what it means or when it is triggered.... :( I can vouch that, having spent more than three years on a phone that does it, that it is harmless and doesn't appear to affect anything à la charges or functionality. (Now that I think about it, I thought, but am not completely sure, that I've seen it on my RAZR, but all the forum complaints seem to be about Nokia.)

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Turn Call Forwarding on and off under Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding.

It sends your incoming calls to another number that you specify. A cool feature if you ask me. It means, for example, that you can forward your calls to your home number when you leave your iPhone docked with your computer for a recharge.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
That's the strange thing about this problem - I (and likely the others with this issue) have Call Forwarding disabled... yet the message still comes up. I guess I'll just wait until the next software update.

I believe this message comes up when the party you are calling is on call forwarding. Its warning you that your call is being forwarded.

freeflydrew

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2004
ny
i agree... as if the phone alerts you when you call a number and the phone call gets forwarded to their voicemail. At least thats exactly what just happened to me.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, I think it means that your call is getting forwarded.. that would make the most sense.

Julian0714

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
This is so annoying

Yeah, I think it means that your call is getting forwarded.. that would make the most sense.

I don't know if thats what it is, because when I call my home land-line, which is basic service, no forwarding possible or anything like that, I still get the call forwarding active popup. It happens whether call forwarding is turned on or off on the iPhone.

pherplexed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
So i finaly just called AT&T to see what the deal was. According to them, it's a standard message for GSM networks indicating that the call you placed has successfully connected ("forwarded") to the person's phone you're calling.

Strange wording, but basically she said it's standard on a GSM network...some phones display it, others don't.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
I have been on ATT's GSM network for over a year with multiple phones and the Blackjack prior to getting the iPhone and I have never gotten this message until the iPhone- I think that is nonsense that someone at ATT told you.

My call forwarding is turned off. Also, I get it when I call to numbers (e.g., my home) that do not have numbers call forwarded anywhere. In short, I do not believe those explanations are valid either. It sounds to me like a bug in the iPhone.

pherplexed

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
I have been on ATT's GSM network for over a year with multiple phones and the Blackjack prior to getting the iPhone and I have never gotten this message until the iPhone- I think that is nonsense that someone at ATT told you.

My call forwarding is turned off. Also, I get it when I call to numbers (e.g., my home) that do not have numbers call forwarded anywhere. In short, I do not believe those explanations are valid either. It sounds to me like a bug in the iPhone.

I think it's entirely possible that you know more than the AT&T engineers that i spoke with. So, you should call them and tell them how to fix this "bug" you found.

thatguy_youknow

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2003
My phones have been showing this message for years (at least 8 since I got a phone with PacBell pre Cingular pre AT&T). I notice it more in some areas more than other but don't notice a pattern.

ramatsu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Call forwarding popup

I have had my iPhone for a week, and this just started for me about two days ago. I verified that it doesn't have anything to do with whether the person I'm calling has call forward on. None of the theories posed here so far account for what i'm seeing, so it will be nice if it gets enough attention that Apple can try to do something about it.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
OK so i just got off the phone with att because I had the exact same message pop up when i dial one particular person.

the att person was unable to help me but went so far as to offer to send me a new iphone!

so anyway i called the person who is on T-Mobile/GSM. He explained that he forwards his voice mail to a different number -- meaning the message only comes up when i cant reach him and end up in his voice mail system.

the same message pops on his phone (he has some sort of blackberry) but only for a brief second -- whereas the iphone implementation pops up a message box with the "dismiss" button

bottom line is that appears to be a GSM thing. but i am tempted to get me a replacement phone just for kicks :)

wsdr

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2004
Charleston, SC
Happens in a lot of places/on other phones

Howdy, this "call forwarding active" message pops up on a lot of phones, not just the iPhone. I used to be on SunCom ("A Member of the AT&T Wireless Network") and started getting these messages on my Sony Ericsson, Nokia and Motorola phones once I started using GSM.

My theory is that there is a brief period of time while you are dialing out wherein the GSM system cannot deliver a new incoming call to you. Have you ever mysteriously gotten a voice mail less than a minute after having started a new call? I have. I think that while my phone is connecting to the number I have just dialed, the network simply forwards all new incoming calls straight to voicemail (or your forwarding destination should you have set one). A corollary is that I have been attempting to dial a new number, hit send, and just as the phone starts to connect, the outgoing call is dropped and a new call rings in. I think this is the same limitation-- one connection can be STARTED at a time; but once the connection is established, more can come in.

All that said, I find the pop-up EXTREMELY annoying. Often I have my phone on either a headset, handset or Bluetooth, and need to switch to one of the other options (say handset to speaker, or headset to bluetooth). Often I can't get to the dialog to make the switch quickly enough because of that darn message.

I would LOVE to find a way to disable that dialog.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Everytime i make a call, a little popup comes up that says "Call Forwarding Active" with a button that says dismiss. I can either hit the button or it just goes away after a few seconds.

Anybody else getting this or know what this means? I checked the settings and call forwarding isn't turned on....and i'm receiving calls as normal. Just curious why it says that everytime i make a call.

Call at&t??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.