Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite a wide range of claims from analysts about the iPhone's sales on opening weekend, the most official word comes from AT&T's spokesman Mark Siegel who indicates that the iPhone sales on opening weekend were more than they'd sold in the first month of any other wireless device in AT&T's history.

AT&T also notes that the iPhone activation problems should be entirely resolved at this time, though the EDGE network appears to have had a temporary outage yesterday.

Meanwhile, as of last night, Apple's retail inventory tool revealed that iPhones were sold out in 95/164 Apple retail stores. There's no way to determine if this is simply due to high demand or some combination of low supply... but early online Apple Store orders for the iPhone will start shipping on July 6th, rather than the 2-4 week time frame originally cited.

Finally, we'd previously noted that Apple had obtained ownership of the iPhone.com domain name, but a new report confirms that the domain was indeed sold to Apple.

Apple has owned the iPhone.org domain name since December 1999, and triggered the initial speculation that Apple was looking to create a mobile phone. The ownership of iPhone.com, however, has remained in the hands of a 3rd party until this past week.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Awesome news! It looks like the iPhone sold better than many expected over the weekend. I can't wait to see what sales are like around the holidays. :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
even with a conservative estimate of 250,000 units sold so far, that's a profit of around $68 million U.S.

Very nice.

Subtract at least $200MM for R&D, development costs, certification costs, advertising, OK scratch the 200, make that 500 and there are still a ton of phones to sell to break even!

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Density

If you look at the stores that have sold out, most are located in heavy population density areas.

The bigger question is when will they be resupplied? And will the popularity of the iPhone keep inventories low?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This is probably inaccurate but like I said the other night.When I spoke to an AT&T Rep about my activation she told me they were trying to activate 1,000,000 iPhones and that the process would take a while.
I know that figure is much higher than the speculators but that's what I was told.Probably just a figure of speech I guess.

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
All the analyst numbers are just made up guestimates.

arn

i agree, but i'm making 5 bucks a share today! keep on guessin high analysts..!!!

Subtract at least $200MM for R&D, development costs, certification costs, advertising, OK scratch the 200, make that 500 and there are still a ton of phones to sell to break even!

read my quote... then realize that they just broke even and made a hefty profit this weekend... dont forget they get a percentage of everyone's phone bill... apple is rich as a mofo

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
my guesstimate: 1 million by tomorrow ;)
the holy NYC 5th ave flagship is already showing a cherry dot :)

706964534_257205ab16_o.jpg

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So, how many RAZRs sold in the first month? We can estimate that the iPhone has sold more than that.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If we don't slow down to less than 2 iPhone articles per day, I think I will go out and hang myself.

Unlikely, since the iPhone is a) BIG news, b) CURRENT news, and c) relevant to the Mac platform.

But here's a life-saving tip: watch for the word "iPhone" in headlines and don't click those stories :)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
750000 units is quite high still... I still am puzzled where they got that from?

They got that from Apple's genius in creating unbelievable products...the iPhone is gonna be the MOST successful product in the history of phones...Apple simply BLEW away all estimates.

All smartphone competitors are marching towards bankruptcy now...it's just amazing what Apple can do...and this ONLY in the US.

Move over, iPod!

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
This is true. I simply meant that I hope that the iPhone is actually a device that is not just a "wow" for now machine, but a good overall long termer. If not, this can bode ill for the device, even if Apple makes lots of cheddar for now.

Oh the iPhone is definitely more than a "wow" for now machine. It's going to be around for quite some times -- and while everyone might not want one now, they definitely will in the next few years. Everything that's holding people back now (price, capacity, speed, etc.) will be solved in future versions. Even the fact that it's locked to one network will eventually change (although people will have to wait a little bit longer for that one).

The iPhone is eventually going to get to the point where it doesn't make sense why you would choose any other phone. Just like where the iPod is right now for digital music players...

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
They got that from Apple's genius in creating unbelievable products...the iPhone is gonna be the MOST successful product in the history of phones...Apple simply BLEW away all estimates.

All smartphone competitors are marching towards bankruptcy now...it's just amazing what Apple can do...and this ONLY in the US.

Move over, iPod!

And for every early adopter there are 10-20 people ready to buy in the next quarter! This is a groundbreaking paradigm shift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.