Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Hardware-wise, where does Apple stand?

Can Apple really convince us that sticking a G4 in the iBook line is really a worthy update? Or have they already done that with the 12" Albook? Speaking of which, will the 12" ever get a L3 cache?

Will we ever see this G3+Altivec and 200Mhz FSB? Will the GPU remain the same, or will Apple but 64MB of VRAM in the iBook anytime soon? If the Powerbooks get the Radeon 9600M, will the iBooks get the Radeon 9000M?

I'd like to hear what people think is up next for the iBooks (even if some are crying bloody murder due to the lack of a 15" Albook.)

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
i don t think we will ever see a l3 cache in the 12'' Powerbook, the heat generation of that little gem is just to big.
btw there is no real need for a l3 cache if the g5 makes its appariotion in january/febuary in the Powerbook.
i think that the ibook will get the power3+ chip of big blue with an altivec engine, and a single core, making the "new"g3, a mobile g5 or so ,-)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nah, I think that the PB's will all get the update simultaneously to the new G4s, maybe the 1.25GHz, but probably 1.3GHz, which may explain the update delay of the 15" PB.

At that point, its the perfect time to introduce the brand spankin' new 867MHz G4 iBook. :D Yep, you heard me right. Great innovation by Apple. Just switch the casing of the existing 12" PB with that of the 12" iBook and Voila.....a new fully upgraded iBook.

Quick Steve, hire me. Hire me!! I'm obviously a brilliant marketer!!!

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
The current G3 in the iBook can go to 1GHz with a 200MHz bus. They can't do this though until the 12" PB has been updated. The G4 has really screwed the iBook... :mad:

PB 12" needs a better cooling system, with a 1GHz and L3 cache. Upgrade the 15" and 17" to the new 1.2-1.3 G4...

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
I don't think we'll ever seen the G4 in the iBook, it's not that great a processor. I also see Apple giving IBM the business over Moto.

I expect the iBook to stick with the G3 and go with the one that has Alitvec eventually. IBM has supposedly gotten the G3 up to 2.0GHz, the G4 will NEVER reach that and I don't see Apple using the G4 any longer then they have to.

Personally, I'd like to never see the G4 in iBook. I am so much happier with my G3 PowerBook then I was with my G4 PowerBook. All that is missing is AltiVec.

Just my 0.02 cents... I could be wrong.

MacBoyX

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Originally posted by Porshuh944turbo
the G5 has screwed all other apple computer sales... if it ain't g5.. why bother?

Umm YEAH OKAY... thanks it's people with this mentality that cause the problem we have now.

I have said it before and I'll say it again...Apple sells a whole LINES of computers, this means more than one processor, when you put a chip in every single computer in the product lines you have what you have now... G4's in every single machine (except iBook) and very little variety.

There is no need for a G5 in anything but the PowerMac for a while. Apple has been struggling with G4 PM sales for years because of just this mentality.

There's no need for a G5 in the iMac, or in th PB yet. PowerMacs need to sell for a while and no consumer needs a Dual 2.0GHz G5.

The day I need that much power to keep up with my Home Usage...I am in big trouble.

Let's not have iMacs that cost 1999 to start, let's not have iBooks that cost 1599 to start...

I for one am a fan of variety.

MacBoyX

i love my ibook, it is so small and compact, i would like to see a faster proc in it but if i want that i can always go with a pbook
the ibook serves its purpous as a rugged macheine used for skool stuff like text editing and small photo editing and stuff, it isnt designed to ba a powerful computer, it is designed to be a cheep rugged computer with enough power to get by, if you want power get a pbook if you want a cost effective durable macheine that will do simple tasks than the ibook will be your friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.