Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 5, 2007, 01:22 AM   #1
pjdhunt
macrumors newbie

iPhoto: Import fails to finish

For the past few days, I have been trying to import some photos from my Canon Rebel XT. The symptom is that after all photos are loaded from the camera, iPhoto displays 1 photo remaining and fails to complete. After a while, the camera times out and shuts off. iPhoto will now appear to be done, but in fact if you try to quit, it will refuse saying the import isn't finished. The only way to quit is to force a quit. While this is happening CPU will be 100% with 30% to the system, and 70% to iPhoto. You can leave this for days and it still will not complete.

I have tried importing from the camera directly, and directly from the compact flash with the same results.

I am running OSX 10.4.10 and iPhoto 6.0.6.

Has anybody seen this?
pjdhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 01:24 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Can you get the photo by using Image Capture?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 01:37 AM   #3
pjdhunt
macrumors newbie

Image capture

The photos are all valid and readable through aperture or photoshop elements. It just seems that iPhoto is refusing to import the batch of about 144 photos.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 01:44 AM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Okay, so is it all the photos that are unreadable, or is it just one from the batch? Have you tried exporting it from one of the apps that can read it, and then importing that file into iPhoto?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 01:52 AM   #5
pjdhunt
macrumors newbie

The photos are all fine and all appear to import successfully. It is just that iPhoto won't finish the the import process (and transfer the files from the iPhoto import folder inside the iPhoto Library and move the images into the main library). It just sits their sucking up all the CPU.

Last edited by pjdhunt; Jul 5, 2007 at 01:53 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 5, 2007, 01:57 AM   #6
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Ahh, okay. Sorry mate, I was on a different wavelength. Maybe try rebuilding your iPhoto library, once you've force quitted iPhoto of course. Is this a one-off, or has it happened before?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:10 AM   #7
pjdhunt
macrumors newbie

I actually did just do a rebuild (via command-option). No luck.

I have also tried breaking up the batch and I can't seem to import anything any more.

Also tried relocating the library. No luck.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 09:06 PM   #8
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

So if you quit iPhoto and then reopen it, is the old import still running and stuck? If not, can you manually import a completely different file, just to test if importing is still possible with iPhoto?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:43 PM   #9
pjdhunt
macrumors newbie

So, I can import a single picture or a few pictures. It looks like if I import more than 5 RAW photos in a batch it will go into a busy CPU state and won't actually get to the finish step. Arg...importing a couple hundred photos like this is gonna suck!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:18 AM   #10
pjdhunt
macrumors newbie

Looks like it is a bug with RAW image support. I deleted all of the RAW files (leaving just JPGs) from the directories and I was able to import 150 JPGs. I can import 1 or 2 RAW files, but anything more than that will hang iPhoto.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 01:01 PM   #11
etart
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdhunt View Post
Looks like it is a bug with RAW image support. I deleted all of the RAW files (leaving just JPGs) from the directories and I was able to import 150 JPGs. I can import 1 or 2 RAW files, but anything more than that will hang iPhoto.
I'm having the same import problem
etart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 04:20 PM   #12
clayk
macrumors member

Did this ever get resolved. My iphoto 9 will not finish import eiter. Does not matter if one picture or many, raw or jpeg. Everything was fine until a few days ago. Only thing new is the ipad.

Clay
clayk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store