Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjdhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
For the past few days, I have been trying to import some photos from my Canon Rebel XT. The symptom is that after all photos are loaded from the camera, iPhoto displays 1 photo remaining and fails to complete. After a while, the camera times out and shuts off. iPhoto will now appear to be done, but in fact if you try to quit, it will refuse saying the import isn't finished. The only way to quit is to force a quit. While this is happening CPU will be 100% with 30% to the system, and 70% to iPhoto. You can leave this for days and it still will not complete.

I have tried importing from the camera directly, and directly from the compact flash with the same results.

I am running OSX 10.4.10 and iPhoto 6.0.6.

Has anybody seen this?

pjdhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Image capture

The photos are all valid and readable through aperture or photoshop elements. It just seems that iPhoto is refusing to import the batch of about 144 photos.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, so is it all the photos that are unreadable, or is it just one from the batch? Have you tried exporting it from one of the apps that can read it, and then importing that file into iPhoto?

pjdhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
The photos are all fine and all appear to import successfully. It is just that iPhoto won't finish the the import process (and transfer the files from the iPhoto import folder inside the iPhoto Library and move the images into the main library). It just sits their sucking up all the CPU.

pjdhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I actually did just do a rebuild (via command-option). No luck.

I have also tried breaking up the batch and I can't seem to import anything any more.

Also tried relocating the library. No luck.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So if you quit iPhoto and then reopen it, is the old import still running and stuck? If not, can you manually import a completely different file, just to test if importing is still possible with iPhoto? :)

pjdhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
So, I can import a single picture or a few pictures. It looks like if I import more than 5 RAW photos in a batch it will go into a busy CPU state and won't actually get to the finish step. Arg...importing a couple hundred photos like this is gonna suck!

pjdhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Looks like it is a bug with RAW image support. I deleted all of the RAW files (leaving just JPGs) from the directories and I was able to import 150 JPGs. I can import 1 or 2 RAW files, but anything more than that will hang iPhoto.

etart

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
Looks like it is a bug with RAW image support. I deleted all of the RAW files (leaving just JPGs) from the directories and I was able to import 150 JPGs. I can import 1 or 2 RAW files, but anything more than that will hang iPhoto.

I'm having the same import problem

clayk

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Did this ever get resolved. My iphoto 9 will not finish import eiter. Does not matter if one picture or many, raw or jpeg. Everything was fine until a few days ago. Only thing new is the ipad.

Clay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.