Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This Reuters report indicates that IBM's new 3 billion microchip factory is having production problems.

Demonstrating the risk of huge investments in advanced chip-making tools, International Business Machines Corp. on Wednesday cited production problems at the gleaming chip plant in East Fishkill, New York, as a reason why its microchip business would lose money this year.

It's unclear if this affects PowerPC 970 production.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
ouch, this is one thing apple doesn't need. But to make money you need to spend money

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Does anyone know for a fact that the Fishkill plant is where 970s are being produced?

as far as I recall - this has all been speculation and rumor.

arn

Magicite

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Twin Cities
Don't kill me here . . .

. . . but I believe the article was referring to economic problems rather than production problems. i.e., not making a profit.

Anyone care to correct me? This may not even be the article that I read on the matter earlier today, but I'm assuming it is.

edit -- erp, did I misread something? Time for sleep!

edit 2-- ok, I swear the article was different when I read it early this afternoon . . .

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by arn
Does anyone know for a fact that the Fishkill plant is where 970s are being produced?

arn
From sidebar of http://www.apple.com/g5/ibmprocess.html
At IBM’s state-of-the-art 300-mm chip fabrication facility in East Fishkill, NY, front opening unified pods (FOUP) hold silicon wafers during various stages in a weeks-long process.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
From sidebar of http://www.apple.com/g5/ibmprocess.html
At IBM’s state-of-the-art 300-mm chip fabrication facility in East Fishkill, NY, front opening unified pods (FOUP) hold silicon wafers during various stages in a weeks-long process.

ah - thanks :)

I guess it may impact apple then.

arn

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Also, Steve said that this is where the chips were made in his keynote. ;)

If the G5 towers aren't shipped in late August/September, heads will roll. :( I don't even want to imagine what would happen if Steve announced a delay until December or something.

*knock on wood*

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Re: Don't kill me here . . .

Originally posted by Magicite
. . . but I believe the article was referring to economic problems rather than production problems. i.e., not making a profit.

The quote is: "...International Business Machines Corp. on Wednesday cited production problems at the gleaming chip plant in East Fishkill, New York..."

I think that means production problems. At the risk of stating the *way* too obvious... this could be a very bad thing for Apple. Not good to hype the fastest personal computer on the planet, and then not be able to deliver them in mass quatities. I hope this refers to past production problems that have since been ironed out.

BostonMJH

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by arn

arn

Yes when Steve Jobs and the exec from IBM get on stage at the WWDC ans say that the G5 is made at the state of the art facility and it cost 3 Billion....Its Fishkill.;)

trog

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
G5 shipping dates upgraded

I think its worth mentioning that my order of a dual G5 was originally scheduled to be delivered "on or before" september 2nd. A few days ago that was quietly changed to August 29th instead of Sept 2nd.

There isn't much difference between those two dates, but it seems unlikely they would go to the trouble to change the shipping date to earlier if they were expecting production problems.

We'll see, but this is only one article and I'd bet this fab is used for more than just 970 production (POWER 4 AND 5s??).

Gyroscope

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2002
In an related announcment Apple informs customers who pre-ordered their G5 towers, about revised specs on the following:

Dual G5 2 Ghz-> Dual G5 1.8 Ghz

Single G5 1.8 Ghz -> Single G5 1.6 Ghz

Single G5 1.6 Ghz -> Single G5 1.4 Ghz

Shipment date late september-early october, no price changes.

:) :p :eek: :) :( :cool:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
One possible interpretation: the problems were solved, and were expensive to fix! Probably still a drop in the bucket to the plant's initial cost.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by BostonMJH
If this is true.

Apple :mad:

IBM :(

MOTO :D

Intel/Microsoft :)

a) how is this anyones fault?
b) why smile at Moto, they STILL can't make the G4 a good chip, max at 1.42 overclocked where as G5 = max 2.0 not overclocked

And this is GOOD for Intel?

Wtf!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by MrMacman
a) how is this anyones fault?
b) why smile at Moto, they STILL can't make the G4 a good chip, max at 1.42 overclocked where as G5 = max 2.0 not overclocked

And this is GOOD for Intel?

Wtf!

I think he means that Apple will be mad, rather than him being mad at Apple, and so on. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

projectParanoia

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2003
The situation at the IBM Fishkill plant is that there are some manufacturing problems, but these will be fixed in the future.

This is also IBM's first attemt to manufacture chips for other companies, therefore there is a lot of room for improvement.

The economic state is contributing to the problems in the facility because the plant is currently being underused. When the economy picks up, the plant will gain more efficiency and that translates into profit.

IMO, this could mean that Apple would order more PowerPC 970's aka the G5 from IBM so that the Fishkill plant can be more efficient and make a profit. We mac users would then receive lots of G5-based systems. Imagine that, an iBook G5...:D I should stop before I druel to death. This is, of cource, just an opinion.

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
Wait a minute

This doesn't mean anything yet. For all we know the problem is fixed. If not, we don't know the extent of it. If we did, we might be........ informed!
This rumour is getting is getting a life of its own... it's time for fish kill!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The article cites "production problems" AND a lack or orders for as many chips as they'd like to sell. Sounds like a temporary problem for IBM's profits, nothing worse than that.

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by Nermal
I think he means that Apple will be mad, rather than him being mad at Apple, and so on. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

I'm sure that's what he ment. I agree with you

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
I think you guys are taking "production problems" in the wrong way. This is business talk that refers to the "entire" process of production, which includes the economics of that production as well. I think this is what they are referring to, as in they aren't meeting their scheduled ROI, which is a result of the economy not giving them a chance to fully utilize the plant. IMO, this isn't anything to get your panties all uptight about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.