Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1
steamboat26
macrumors 65816
 
steamboat26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington VA
Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
3 year warranty on Xbox 360- Through Microsoft

They are going to take huge losses on this, but good for all 360 owners
Open Letter from Peter Moore

Sweet, but i'm kinda annoyed i spent money on a warranty through best buy for 2 years, but now i'm covered for 3 years in the case of hardware failure
__________________
-Mac Mini duo core 1.66 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Mac OS 10.4.10
-iPod Nano 4 GB Black
-iMac G3 500 Mhz, 384 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, Mac OS 10.3.9
steamboat26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2
Jasonbot
macrumors 68020
 
Jasonbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Rainbow Nation RSA
Send a message via AIM to Jasonbot Send a message via MSN to Jasonbot
Will this be international? Or is it just for those very lucky people in the US, Asia and other first world countries?
__________________
[insert apple related products here]
Jasonbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:56 AM   #3
SpankyPenzaanz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26 View Post
Sweet, but i'm kinda annoyed i spent money on a warranty through best buy for 2 years, but now i'm covered for 3 years in the case of hardware failure
To quote Homer Simpson : 'Extended Warranty How Can I fail' u do realize store warranties are upwards of 90%profit for the store as they count on u not using the warranty or the store fiding a means to excuse themselves out of their obligations

Any way nice of M$ to do so and I thought I read they will be retroactively sending refunds. I wonder since I bought mine with my AMEX if that means my covergae is 6years
__________________
"Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?" - Bender
SpankyPenzaanz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:12 AM   #4
brobson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26 View Post
They are going to take huge losses on this, but good for all 360 owners
Open Letter from Peter Moore

Sweet, but i'm kinda annoyed i spent money on a warranty through best buy for 2 years, but now i'm covered for 3 years in the case of hardware failure
I am trying to find a used xbox. One I am interested in said he never mailed the warranty info in so if I bought it, I would be covered. Is this accurate?
I'd sure appreciate some answers. Its the basic xbox for 275. Is that a good deal? Anyone out there have a better suggestion or have one for that price or less? Please advise quickly: son's bday present.
Thanks in advance.
__________________
"You don't need Art to live but Art makes life worth living"
brobson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Markleshark
macrumors 601
 
Markleshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carlisle, Up Norf!
Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbot View Post
Will this be international? Or is it just for those very lucky people in the US, Asia and other first world countries?
Global, I'd say.

Quote:
This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I've posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we'll update it over the next few days.
__________________
Lubo, Lubo, Lubo, Lubo!!
Markleshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6
steamboat26
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
steamboat26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington VA
Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyPenzaanz View Post
To quote Homer Simpson : 'Extended Warranty How Can I fail' u do realize store warranties are upwards of 90%profit for the store as they count on u not using the warranty or the store fiding a means to excuse themselves out of their obligations

Any way nice of M$ to do so and I thought I read they will be retroactively sending refunds. I wonder since I bought mine with my AMEX if that means my covergae is 6years
Yes, i know all that, and i used to work for best buy. I also happen to know that the majority of best buy employees aren't too bright, such that i could bring in my 360, say it doesn't work, and they will take my word for it.
__________________
-Mac Mini duo core 1.66 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Mac OS 10.4.10
-iPod Nano 4 GB Black
-iMac G3 500 Mhz, 384 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, Mac OS 10.3.9
steamboat26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:49 PM   #7
zero2dash
macrumors 6502a
 
zero2dash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fenton, MO
Good recovery; like I said in the $1B thread, the 360 is a great system, they just need to go back to the drawing board and work on a better cooling solution. Better heatsinks, better fans, better exhaust, get the 65nm chips mass produced...if a system is sent in for repairs, swap out everything and give the troubled parties a new 65nm system for their hassle. That's the way to save face, and that's what they need to do. All these failures and problems are going to scare away potential buyers of the Xbox 720 or WTF they call the next system they release.
zero2dash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 05:43 PM   #8
SpankyPenzaanz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26 View Post
Yes, i know all that, and i used to work for best buy. I also happen to know that the majority of best buy employees aren't too bright, such that i could bring in my 360, say it doesn't work, and they will take my word for it.
So you plan to rely on taking advantage of 'not too bright employees'. I worked retail for a few months and saw your kind turned down many times. Probably not the wisest of moves. Honestly this would be a case where I put more faith in M$. This is afterrall a goodwill gesture. Anyway lets hope you don't have to use either option and you can keep gaming without interuption.
__________________
"Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?" - Bender
SpankyPenzaanz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:13 AM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Good move by MS - even if it's likely to be costly.

I had to send mine back with a dud DVD drive, and it came back fine but within a few weeks is already showing early symptoms of the same issue (in-game music skipping tracks after a few seconds). I may be availing of this warranty quite a bit!
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 02:15 PM   #10
stagecustom
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario
actually sweet... so i just sent mine back a week ago, does this mean the one i get back is covered for three years!?

stagecustom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 03:09 PM   #11
zap2
macrumors 604
 
zap2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington D.C
MS "manned up" and if standing behind the Xbox 360....nice to know.



I'll still wait for the 65nm chips
__________________
"We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
zap2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft - XBox 360 sales update smoledman Wasteland 0 Feb 11, 2013 08:13 PM
Google's Got Microsoft In A Headlock: Pay $4 Billion A Year Or Stop Selling Xbox gto55 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 10 Nov 23, 2012 08:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC