Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1
steamboat26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
3 year warranty on Xbox 360- Through Microsoft

They are going to take huge losses on this, but good for all 360 owners
Open Letter from Peter Moore

Sweet, but i'm kinda annoyed i spent money on a warranty through best buy for 2 years, but now i'm covered for 3 years in the case of hardware failure
steamboat26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2
Jasonbot
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Jasonbot Send a message via MSN to Jasonbot
Will this be international? Or is it just for those very lucky people in the US, Asia and other first world countries?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:56 AM   #3
SpankyPenzaanz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26 View Post
Sweet, but i'm kinda annoyed i spent money on a warranty through best buy for 2 years, but now i'm covered for 3 years in the case of hardware failure
To quote Homer Simpson : 'Extended Warranty How Can I fail' u do realize store warranties are upwards of 90%profit for the store as they count on u not using the warranty or the store fiding a means to excuse themselves out of their obligations

Any way nice of M$ to do so and I thought I read they will be retroactively sending refunds. I wonder since I bought mine with my AMEX if that means my covergae is 6years
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:12 AM   #4
brobson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
They are going to take huge losses on this, but good for all 360 owners
Open Letter from Peter Moore

I am trying to find a used xbox. One I am interested in said he never mailed the warranty info in so if I bought it, I would be covered. Is this accurate?
I'd sure appreciate some answers. Its the basic xbox for 275. Is that a good deal? Anyone out there have a better suggestion or have one for that price or less? Please advise quickly: son's bday present.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbot View Post
Will this be international? Or is it just for those very lucky people in the US, Asia and other first world countries?
Global, I'd say.

Quote:
This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I've posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we'll update it over the next few days.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6
steamboat26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyPenzaanz View Post
To quote Homer Simpson : 'Extended Warranty How Can I fail' u do realize store warranties are upwards of 90%profit for the store as they count on u not using the warranty or the store fiding a means to excuse themselves out of their obligations

Any way nice of M$ to do so and I thought I read they will be retroactively sending refunds. I wonder since I bought mine with my AMEX if that means my covergae is 6years
Yes, i know all that, and i used to work for best buy. I also happen to know that the majority of best buy employees aren't too bright, such that i could bring in my 360, say it doesn't work, and they will take my word for it.
steamboat26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:49 PM   #7
zero2dash
macrumors 6502a

Good recovery; like I said in the $1B thread, the 360 is a great system, they just need to go back to the drawing board and work on a better cooling solution. Better heatsinks, better fans, better exhaust, get the 65nm chips mass produced...if a system is sent in for repairs, swap out everything and give the troubled parties a new 65nm system for their hassle. That's the way to save face, and that's what they need to do. All these failures and problems are going to scare away potential buyers of the Xbox 720 or WTF they call the next system they release.
zero2dash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 05:43 PM   #8
SpankyPenzaanz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, i know all that, and i used to work for best buy. I also happen to know that the majority of best buy employees aren't too bright, such that i could bring in my 360, say it doesn't work, and they will take my word for it.
So you plan to rely on taking advantage of 'not too bright employees'. I worked retail for a few months and saw your kind turned down many times. Probably not the wisest of moves. Honestly this would be a case where I put more faith in M$. This is afterrall a goodwill gesture. Anyway lets hope you don't have to use either option and you can keep gaming without interuption.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:13 AM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Good move by MS - even if it's likely to be costly.

I had to send mine back with a dud DVD drive, and it came back fine but within a few weeks is already showing early symptoms of the same issue (in-game music skipping tracks after a few seconds). I may be availing of this warranty quite a bit!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 02:15 PM   #10
stagecustom
Banned

actually sweet... so i just sent mine back a week ago, does this mean the one i get back is covered for three years!?

stagecustom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 03:09 PM   #11
zap2
macrumors 604

MS "manned up" and if standing behind the Xbox 360....nice to know.

I'll still wait for the 65nm chips

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games