Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:38 AM   #1
Kalixa
macrumors member

Vista in Parallels or Vmware?

Hello. I need to buy a windows version, since I have atleast one application which I need to run which only has a windows version. This is mathcad. Now I was wondering if Windows Vista can use the same cool virtual machine tricks as windows xp can. Such as using the same version which is installed with bootcamp in the virtual machine, the unity feature, 3d acceleration and etc.
Kalixa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:47 AM   #2
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
i run vista in parallels. )haevnt used vmware) but it seems pretty quite snappy in parallels. startup times are really quite impressive
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:53 AM   #3
opticalserenity
macrumors 6502a

Vista Ultimate works great in the latest VMWare.
opticalserenity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:55 AM   #4
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
oh btw, only vista ultimate can be virtualised... if u did or didnt kno this already im not sure... but yea.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Kalixa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
i run vista in parallels. )haevnt used vmware) but it seems pretty quite snappy in parallels. startup times are really quite impressive
Does coherence, sharing of bootcamp partition and 3d acceleration also work for Vista?

Quote:
oh btw, only vista ultimate can be virtualised... if u did or didnt kno this already im not sure... but yea.
Can the other versions not be virtualized as in it is just not possible, or microsoft dosen't want you to? I live in Europe, so I am not sure if this applies for us Europeens. Maybe someone can tell me?

If we indeed are not allowed to, I guess I will have to buy Windows XP. Does anyone know for how long software updates will be out for Windows XP?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:37 AM   #6
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalixa View Post
1Does coherence, sharing of bootcamp partition and 3d acceleration also work for Vista?

2Can the other versions not be virtualized as in it is just not possible, or microsoft dosen't want you to? I live in Europe, so I am not sure if this applies for us Europeens. Maybe someone can tell me?

3If we indeed are not allowed to, I guess I will have to buy Windows XP. Does anyone know for how long software updates will be out for Windows XP?
1. yup coherence and everything else works exactly the same as with xp.

2. M$ ONLY allows ultimate, its physically impossible to virtualize it.

3. do u mean software updates for vista?? SP1 for vista isnt that far away, i think it was end of september or october.

DoFoT9
Old Jul 6, 2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Kalixa
macrumors member

Quote:

3. do u mean software updates for vista?? SP1 for vista isnt that far away, i think it was end of september or october.

DoFoT9
Nope, I mean software updates for Windows Xp. I would imagine that Microsoft sooner or later will drop support, in order to force people to upgrade the OS, and thereby earning even more money.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 07:44 AM   #8
balamw

Quote:
Not quite true. Per the EULA only Vista Business or Ultimate can be virtualized, but there is no technical reason why either Home Basic or Premium won't work, it's just not a right granted to you by the EULA. (In fact, people have reported success in running Home versions in Parallels).

B

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac