Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 6, 2007, 07:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhoneDevCamp This Weekend

The first iPhoneDevCamp takes place this weekend in San Francisco, CA. The 3 day event invites interested individuals to come develop web-based applications and optimize web sites for the iPhone.

It's a non-commercial event with free attendance.
Quote:
Attendees will be able to:

• Create new web applications for iPhone.
• Optimize existing web applications for iPhone.
• Migrate Dashboard Widgets to web-based widgets for iPhone.
•*Test and optimize web sites for iPhone.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Yankees 4 Life
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Yankees 4 Life
im trying to make it this weekend, lets hope for some cheap plane tickets..
Old Jul 6, 2007, 08:48 AM   #3
myiphone
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to myiphone
I can't be there, there are no chance for me to get from Poland to USA
For everyone who will be there: do your best!
myiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Yankees 4 Life
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Yankees 4 Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by myiphone View Post
I can't be there, there are no chance for me to get from Poland to USA
For everyone who will be there: do your best!
will do man
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I have a website written entirely in manual html and optimized for modem speeds that would make a good iPhone website. It would need to be updated to at least have some sort of buttons and a stylesheet to become compliant, but it is a fairly simple matter of putting a new front end on a bunch of existing content. Free labor invited to "practice" on iPhone website making. It would be kinda cool to have 2-3 different main page implementations to try different things.

Rocketman
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Outsiderdude26
macrumors regular

I'm not going to be able to attend but I will keep a close eye on this. I really want to see what these developer come up with and see how we, iPhone users, influence the way people are going to start coding their websites.

Mac Pro in Dec.
Outsiderdude26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:25 PM   #7
PubGuy
macrumors member

I want REAL apps that don't need internet access

This is all cute, but I want real apps that work without the internet.
Examples would be:
- A To Do program
- A password keeper program (like to keep my PWD's local, thank you very much!)
- A world clock
- An expense tracker
You know...things that are handy to have but do not require network access to work. A lot of good Web 2.0 programs will do me if I travel to areas without AT&T coverage, thus no signal. Full native development is essential.

Also, what's up with Apple not including a ToDo sync to iCal and leaving out voice dialing ??? Nobody's ever explained that.
PubGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:32 PM   #8
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubGuy View Post
- A world clock
I don't have an iPhone, but this was shown in the guide video
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:58 PM   #9
benspratling
macrumors 6502

Reccomendations for iPhone development texts

Howdy,
There's no way I can go to CA for the weekend, sad...

I have been developing an app for iPhone (www.BibleXpress.net) and I've never done web development before, just Cocoa development. I have found some texts that are great:

All from O'Reilly, they're the books with animals on the covers.
Learning Javascript (only just a few typos) (Shelley Powers)
CSS, The Definitive Guide (Eric Meyer)
Programming PHP (Rasmus Leydorf, et al...)

In just three days, I've learned how to write CSS page layout, javascripts to configure dynamic pages, and php server-side components all linked together with AJAX (XMLHTTPRequest object). You can take a look at the public-accessible version of my site without logging in. The feature set will grow quickly over the next months when my roommate who does professional web development moves in

I'm still looking for a good HTML book, (my local Barnes & noble doesn't have O'Reilly's good book on it or MySQL). Don't fall for the O'Reilly books that say "Head First..." they're no good.

I think what newbies need to know is this:
HTML is what the browser will display, but CSS is a way to not only predefine styles for the HTML, but also predefine positioning, etc... CSS is just an easy way to make really great looking pages without complicated tables and formatting.

Javascript runs in the browser and allows you to dynamically change the contents of the page and also respond to user actions, like clicking on stuff. Javascript can be turned on and off in the browser.

.php runs on the server, and you can get the .php software from free websites that can run inside the Mac's built-in Apache webserver. Don't listen to the stuff about configuring from the command line if you're new, search for the "self-installing binary."

If you've never done a wesite before, you'll need a hosting service, and to buy a domain if you're not hosting from your own stuff. I'm using www.godaddy.com. Make sure your host supports .php if you need to use it. goDaddy only supports .php on their Linux servers.

I also highly recommend Adobe Creative Suite for creating amazing graphics and then saving them in ultra-compact format for the web.

Last edited by benspratling; Jul 6, 2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: misspelling
benspratling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:08 PM   #10
myiphone
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to myiphone
If you are looking for good HTML book, you should try Bulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm (www.simplebits.com). I had it in polish and I know that it's really good book. If you want to learn PHP you should for first read manual at php.net and just code a lot, there isn't any really good book about PHP. And JavaScript ofcourse, if you managed to learn basics of them, then try prototype, script.aculo.us and mootools libraries. They are the best libraries out there, they have really good documentation and also they are released as MIT. You should learn by reading code of them, also good javascript code to read is lightbox (based on prototype and scriptaculous). After that you should know enought to write good AJAX (not web 2.0 becouse web 2.0 mean social sites for me) applications. Ah, there is also ajaxian.com, very good source of informations about AJAX.
Hope that this comment can help anyone of you.
myiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion