Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
he European Commission is setting up a probe into the activities of companies supporting the next generation disc format Blu-Ray in a bid to find out if the backers of the format broke EU competition rules.

A spokeswoman for competition commissioner Neelie Kroes said that the Commission is seeking information from content providers and manufacturers over their reasons for backing either Blu-Ray or its rival HD-DVD disc format. The Commission is particularly interested as to why most major film studios went for the Blu-Ray format exclusively.

"We want more information about whether the studios have arrangements with the Blu-ray format, and if so what those arrangements are," the spokeswoman told IT PRO's sister publication PC Pro.

Both formats hold much more data than DVDs. Blu-Ray discs hold 50GB of data on a dual-layer disc while its rival HD-DVD only hold 30GB of data on a dual-layer disc. Blu-Ray discs are similar to Sony's PDD discs, which are aimed at business data archiving.

According to reports from the Wall Street Journal, backers of the rival HD-DVD format, which include Toshiba, Microsoft and Intel, asked the commission to look into the tactics of members of the Blu-Ray camp, which is led by Sony.

The Commission has asked to be provided with emails, phone records and any other supporting documents related to the probe.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/news/119006/

In a word, What?

I don't really understand what the point of this is, it just seems to me that the HD-DVD camp are angry that their format isn't doing so well... :rolleyes:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I don't think you can read too much into the fact that they're investigating, merely that they've received a complaint and needed to look into it.

Who knows what they (or rather, the HD-DVD group) expect them to find, but the EC are looking to foster competition, and go to great lengths to clamp down on any anti-competitive action to gain a monopoly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.