Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickR

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
I just bought a new set of headphones (Sony MDR-EX51LP) a couple months ago. I got a pair for both me and my fiancee. We use them on our current iPod's but I was looking forward to using them on the iPhone and like most if not all others they don't fit in the headphone jack since the headphone jack is too far in and the phone is curved.

I know the iPhone came with earbuds but I don't like that style since they don't stay in my ear well. I prefer something more like the ones I bought. I'd like a pair of earbuds that have the mic though. That's something I may look into down the line but

My question is, is there a set of 3rd party earbuds with mic that is out at this time or planned?

Is there an adapter even that I could plug my current headphones into and then plug into the iPhone?

I know it's not stereo but if I get a bluetooth headset can I play the iPhone music over that?

joseftu

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
I have (and love) those same Sony headphones.

If you're willing to make a small modification, you don't have to buy an adapter.

I took an Xacto knife and very carefully shaved away some of the rubber around the plug end of the headphones--so that it would fit into the iPhone jack.

Take your time, work carefully (don't slice through the cord, and don't cut yourself!). I spent about 10 minutes on it.

It works great. When you're done, you can use your Sony headphones. You won't have the microphone or little controller that you get on the Apple headphones, but it doesn't cost anything, and you don't need an ugly adapter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.