Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1
myrtillerose
macrumors newbie

Networking - Cannot eject/unmount CIFS server

I am rather new to Macs, especially when it comes to networking. Recently, I was trying to set up a network between my Mac and my Windows PC... I gave up on that (I see that there is a very useful thread of this forum about that!). However, I was left with a "CIFS" server on my desktop that will not allow me to eject it because it says that it is "in use." Does anyone know how I can get rid of it? If you need any more information about my problem, just reply and I will try my best to answer it. Thank you very much in advance!
myrtillerose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

A log out then back in or a restart will usually force shares that refuse to unmount to unmount.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
myrtillerose
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
A log out then back in or a restart will usually force shares that refuse to unmount to unmount.
See, that's the first thing I thought of. I've done it many times but the CIFS is still there Thanks for your reply!

The exact message that comes up is "The disk "CIFS" is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications and try again.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:49 PM   #4
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtillerose View Post
See, that's the first thing I thought of. I've done it many times but the CIFS is still there Thanks for your reply!

The exact message that comes up is "The disk "CIFS" is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications and try again.
Open NetInfo Manager, log in as root, and eject it

This is the thread that I made (now with solution) when I had this problem...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:51 PM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

That is weird. Try force-quitting the Finder - this is one way to force-refresh things that otherwise refuse to refresh. Also, make sure you don't have other applications open - it's possible that you have something open (perhaps in the background) using a file on that share.

Do you have Google Desktop installed, by any chance? If you do try turning its indexing off temporarily.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:42 PM   #6
myrtillerose
macrumors newbie

Thank you very much everyone! Using the NetInfo Manager to enable root user and then Terminal to get rid of Sharity3 was the trick. Good thing there are people out there who know Macs better than me. Maybe I'll get to their level someday Thanks alot for your help. Take care.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X