Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
it's something i thought about while finishing up a few gba games, it's like the games on handheld systems are alot harder than similar games on the console, and i don't know if it's the way you play a handheld, or if the game companies actually make them harder. i personally think so, took me alot longer to get through the megaman zero games than it did for some of the megaman x series for example, super mario land was alot harder for me when i played it, etc.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I think games have been on an easy spiral since the switch to 3D. It's much harder for game developers to manage threats with all the different angles they can potentially come from, and if players can walk anywhere it's easy to sidestep.

With a 2D game devs have much more control over the obstacles players have to go through.

And yes, the MegaMan Zero games are the pinnacle of 2D platforming difficulty. I LOVE them. The first one on hard mode can make a grown man cry.

You've got a point about Zero being a lot harder than X, but MegaMan Zero was originally designed with the intend of being the hardest Megaman game ever.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I found Mario Land to be consistently hard from start to finish. But I've never finished Super Mario Bros, starts off easy and gets a little too difficult. I've been near, oh boy have I. Just never get past 8-3. :eek:

I found Link to the Past harder than Links Awakening too.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I found Mario Land to be consistently hard from start to finish. But I've never finished Super Mario Bros, starts off easy and gets a little too difficult. I've been near, oh boy have I. Just never get past 8-3. :eek:

I found Link to the Past harder than Links Awakening too.

Wow, that's just...a bit sad. I can beat Super Mario Bros in under 10 minutes. Me and friends have regular races.

Have you ever played Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels? It's packaged in Super Mario All-Stars, it was a Japanese-only NES Mario game that was re-released in the US with Super Mario All Stars on the SNES.

It's amazing. Easily the most difficult game of all time IMHO. World 3 is harder than World 8 on the original Super Mario Bros. World 8 will have to literally shouting at the screen. And there's 12 worlds (13 if you count the secret one that you get by beating the game without using warp pipes).

The game developers do all kinds of extraordinarily mean things like putting warp pipes that take you BACKWARDS two or three levels, shifting wind patterns that'll suddenly pick up and throw off your jump, red pirannha plants that'll come up even if you stand next to them, Bowser being intelligent and setting up an obstacle course on the bridge that you have to go through WHILE he spits fireballs and throws dozens of hammers a second, etc, etc.

I've only beaten it once with the secret world unlocked. My save game later got wiped and I almost cried. I've got the game on my DS on a SNES emulator now and I've gotten to the last world but I'm stuck on the final stage...

Nothing on any handheld or console is harder than Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels. It's a masterpiece :)

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
I think games have been on an easy spiral since the switch to 3D. It's much harder for game developers to manage threats with all the different angles they can potentially come from, and if players can walk anywhere it's easy to sidestep.

With a 2D game devs have much more control over the obstacles players have to go through.

And yes, the MegaMan Zero games are the pinnacle of 2D platforming difficulty. I LOVE them. The first one on hard mode can make a grown man cry.

You've got a point about Zero being a lot harder than X, but MegaMan Zero was originally designed with the intend of being the hardest Megaman game ever.

never played the first one, played 2 and 3, thought 3 was a bit easier than 2 though. but i heard the first one was mega hard though.

i think sometimes the recent games are a bit too easy, windwaker comes to mind. good game, but a bit too easy and too short. perhaps it's the 3dness that makes it tough.

and the lost levels were annoying tough when i tried to play them. ugh. but it makes it all so much sweeter when you win.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
never played the first one, played 2 and 3, thought 3 was a bit easier than 2 though. but i heard the first one was mega hard though.

i think sometimes the recent games are a bit too easy, windwaker comes to mind. good game, but a bit too easy and too short. perhaps it's the 3dness that makes it tough.

and the lost levels were annoying tough when i tried to play them. ugh. but it makes it all so much sweeter when you win.

I've played most of the Zero games. Each one got successively easier, but that doesn't say much, they were fun and hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.