Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zw42a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
The first time you boot a fresh OS X after install you're asked if you want to take your new account picture with your iSight (if you have one, like on the MB or MBP). Mine worked out really nice and has a sort of value for me, but now comes the problem:
I can't find it on my HD. I looked in a lot of places, searched with Spotlight but still couldn't find it.

Anybody who knows where it' stored?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I am having the exact same problem. I took a pic of myself after a fresh Mac OS X install, but I cannot find the pic anywhere, and it isn't being used as my account picture either :confused:

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
I think it is stored in the picture folder. Open up your finder and click on the picture folder on the left. The their is a folder either next too or inside iPhoto called iSight. Does that work b/c thats where mine go.

Zw42a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Nope, it's not a normal folder (like the Pictures or User Pictures folder). I looked via Spotlight for GIF, PNG, JPG but it's not there...
It has to be somewhere since it's my user picture in the login menu and even iChat uses it as the standard picture.

muusevic

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
I have the exact same problem. I also wanted to use this first boot picture and can't find it anywhere. Does spotlight find hidden files? Possibly this picture is hidden somewhere in the library, but spotlight couldn't find it...

muusevic

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
thanks for your reply, but once i drag it out of the addressbook, it's of a very little size... It's not the original resolution of the iSight (640x480). It's now 30x30 or so...
is there no other possibility?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I think it is stored in the picture folder. Open up your finder and click on the picture folder on the left. The their is a folder either next too or inside iPhoto called iSight. Does that work b/c thats where mine go.

nah the folder is called "Photo Booth". muusevic is the picture in there?
also try this. open finder and press command-shift-g then copy and paste this directory in "/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources/". me thinks it could be in there.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Open up /Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager. Navigate to users and then your username. Scroll down. There should be a property named picture which lists the location of your user icon.

Attachments

• netinfo.png
    netinfo.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 273

muusevic

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
First of all, thanks for the reply, but it isn't in that folder you posted obove...

It has to be in some package or so, because i checked all picture formats in spotlight and didn't find it, but it as to be somewhere...

muusevic

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
hmm, i sort of found it now with this netinfo thing. i followed the path of the bottom of that lower box, but could only find a small res. picture. seems so that the original isight resolution pic is gone?!

mrMacDaddy

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
bankshot's solution works if you didn't commit my curiosity error. :(

I've had my original boot pic (like the original poster Zw42a mentioned) for about 10 months now. But 3 days ago out of curiosity, I clicked the Account Picture button in Photo Booth and overwrote my original account picture. So com.apple.user501pictureCache.tiff shows my current pic.

Can I recover my original pic?

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
NetInfo Manager is no longer part of Leopard - can anyone who hasn't changed their Account picture and is using earlier than Leopard, please tell me what the location of the picture file is?

Or alternatively, does anyone know where to get the the above information in Leopard, without NetInfo Manager (the Wikipedia page isn't very helpful on this topic).

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
Ok, after a bit of reading, I worked it out, the following shows the same thing that the old NetInfo Manager showed:

Command Line:
dscl
ls
cd Local (or whatever)
ls
cd Default (or whatever)
ls
cd Users
ls
cd YourAccountName
read

then it shows the following:

Picture: /Library/Caches/com.apple.user501pictureCache.tiff

Unfortunately that is the smaller version of the picture, not the original full sized image that was taken, which is a shame.

mikelly321

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
first picture

I was more concerned with replacing rather than finding mine. reading the above, i went to photo booth and happily replaced my account photo with a less sleepy, first time opening new macbook, oh no it's time to take that damned first picture time again, look on my face. now my email is far less scary.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I was more concerned with replacing rather than finding mine. reading the above, i went to photo booth and happily replaced my account photo with a less sleepy, first time opening new macbook, oh no it's time to take that damned first picture time again, look on my face. now my email is far less scary.

haha you dont have to have your picture as your account picture. i generally dont wont my face to be seen on my emails so i have a popart picture of my skateboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.