Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
Has anyone seen this warning dialog box pop up on the iPhone:

"Repair needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Contact Apple at www.apple.com/service."

About 2 days into use, I began having network troubles...the phone kept dropping wireless cellular connections on and off...with the indicator randomly displaying "No Signal" (or whatever it says), sometimes little bars, sometimes "Could not connect to Edge network)...very frustrating. Periodically, the above warning would pop up.

I was using my old 'magnetic' Treo case and I was suspect that the magnets might be messing with the phone. I may be paranoid, but after having carried it outside that case, its worked well - its gotten better such that it hasn't done it the past 2 days or so.

Either way, the dialog warning box thing has me worried, and I'm scheduled to meet with a representative at the "Genius Bar" tomorrow at an Apple store just to see what they say. I was convinced the first few days that it was definitely defective.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
It probably was the case. The iPhone uses a capacitive touch sensor matrix screen and improper magnetic fields could cause issues on the input paths.

Then there is the fact that the magnets could cause issues with any number of other components.

If you use the case again, and the problems come right back - you know.

radar roy

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
I have been getting the same error message on my iPhone for over three weeks, have had virtually no support from Apple until Sunday when they sent me a replacment phone, and then I started getting the same error messages. I'm using the same case that the AT & T store sells and there is no magnet.

http://www.radarroy.com/archives/84

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
This problem actually occoured on my phone as well. All I did was restore my phone and the message went away. However, that then triggered a whole new slew of problems. An audio interference message kept popping up, asking me to turn on airplane mode...which diddnt help. My external speaker no longer was working and the phone in general was crapping out on me. It just went out for service today and Im currently using a brand new 8gig loaner free of charge. Hopefully apple will just send me a new iphone.

TommyTheone1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
Hey guys, I have an unlocked iPhone and have been getting this same message... I realised that it was because of the case (which has a magnetic flap). Now that I dont use that case anymore, the problem has gone away... However, I am wondering if I should do anything to truly get rid of the problem, like restore or anything of that sort... Or should I just let it go since everything seems to be working fine??? Please let me know what you guys think!!! Thanks

user1524

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Bombay , India
my unlocked iphone is also showing me this suddenly since morning :confused:
what should i do ? since its unlocked there isnt any apple care available so guide me through guys asap PLEASE :eek:

doblezeta

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
restore your phone to 1.0.2

launch itunes
Hold down sleep and home button for exactly 10 seconds
release sleep button and hold down home button for another 10 seconds
release home button
itunes should now detect your iPhone in recovery mode.

restore to 1.0.2
i suggest revirginizing your phone after this to ensure you get a clean phone
to do this:
install bsd subsystem
install termvt-100

install either the virginizer scripts from markmon.mine.nu:90/iphone/repo/repo.plist
then run term-vt
cd /usr/bin
virginize

or the virginizing tools from i.unlock.no (restoring your phone again after running their apps is recommended

then proceed to unlocking your phone again from there :)

hope this helps...

user1524

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Bombay , India
the problem is it doesnt let me restore to 1.0.2 nor 1.1.1 via itunes ... gived me some error half way through ,... does get me into recovery mode thoo

i also tried this

Pakal and I followed this tip but since the phone was not unlocked ever, we ierased the baseband then simply restored and voila...

Credit to Citrus for this....

OK, everyone who has done any sort of hacking, flashing, restoring etc. and ended up with an iBrick with the following symptoms:

IMEI: Unknown ICCID: Unknown, Rapair Needed (iPhone cannot make or receive calls), no audio (except headset), no WIFI i.e. corrupt baseband or baseband flash is in a limbo state and cannot communicate with ieraser or bbupdater, then the following solution MAY resolve your issue. I did this on a 1.1.1 iPhone which I had hacked a dozen times and had gone from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 and back and forth etc, because of the above symtoms, until I discovered a very easy way to resolve the problem. After all it's only software, thus I don't believe it's possible to damage your iPhone permanently by just the software and baseband tinkering. I recommend you read this entire procedure to understand what is being done, prior to diving into it. Read each step BEFORE attempting it, so you can follow the procedure exactly as it is written and avoid possible mistakes. We will do everything via Mobile Terminal on the iPhone, since your WIFI does not work due to the corrupt baseband.

I have Macs and an XP machine and yet to my surprise, I found this solution to work extremely quick and easy with Windows. Due to the condition my iPhone was in, iNdependence and various other activation apps could not activate my iPhone because my ICCID was unknown. So, I used a Windows laptop and it worked, with PAYCAY! Please note, I did all this without a SIM card in my iPhone, until I fixed it and then inserted my SIM card . In all the procedures, the various apps will ask you to reboot your iPhone, sometimes several times, it is OK!

You need to download the following tools: AppTappInstaller.exe, PACAY and iBrickr_0.91.

Also download the following files: ieraser, bbupdater, secpack, ICE03.14.08_G.eep and ICE03_14_08.fls

1. Get your iPhone to 1.0.2, if you are already at 1.0.2 with the yellow attention triangle on your iPhone screen, go to step 2. If you have the cable with the iTunes logo on your screen, it means you are at 1.1.1 and perhaps don't know what to do. Connect your powered on iPhone to iTunes, click away any message iTunes displays about your phone and make sure your phone is recognized by iTunes. Now hold both home and power/sleep button for 10 seconds, then release only the power/sleep button. While still holding the home button, you are waiting for iTunes to pop up a window telling you it has found your iPhone to be in recovery/restore mode. As soon as it does, let go the home button. Your iPhone screen should be blank (black). If you are seeing the iTunes logo and the cable connect again, then you will have to repeat the previous instruction.

2. Your phone has the yellow triangle (this means your at 1.0.2). Now connect your phone to your XP machine and run AppTappInstaller.exe. The first time it will fail, close AppTapp then start iTunes until you get an error message from iTunes then close iTunes again, including the iTunes Helper process. Now run AppTappInstaller.exe for a second time and wait until it is finished, it should run to the end with a success message. Go to step 3.

3. If you downloaded PAYCAY and unzipped it, you should have a "MACOSX" folder and a "YouTube (Windows) fix" folder. Open the Windows folder and double click on "(CLICK HERE) activate.bat". Follow the instruction to reboot your phone. You should now have an activated iPhone at version 1.0.2, go to step 4.

4. Start iBrickr and go to Applications, follow the instructions to install applications. After rebooting you phone several times, you should now be able to install apps. Browse for the following apps and install them: "BSD Subsystem", "UIctl" (by Nate True) (or use Launch Gui by Erica Sadun same thing) and "Mobile Terminal VT100". Make sure these are installed, you can verify by refreshing the app list in iBrickr. On your iPhone go to your home screen and see if the 2 apps, UIctl and Terminal are installed. Sometimes I had to install the apps 2 or 3 times, until they actually were installed. Now copy the following files to the /usr/bin/ directory on your iPhone: ieraser, bbupdater, secpack, ICE03.14.08_G.eep and ICE03.14.08.fls. Go to step 5.

5. Tap the Terminal in your home screen. You will see a command line. Type the following commands followed by enter: chmod +x bbupdater
chmod +x ieraser
chmod +x secpack
chmod +x *.fls
chmod +x *.eep

Now press your home button and go back home, tap the UIctl icon. CAUTION, do not play around with the services by stopping or unloading them without knowing the affect. You need to tap on only the following services:

Tap on com.apple.CommCenter - you will be given several choices, just tap "unload -w"
then tap on com.apple.mobile.lockdown - again you will be given several choices, just tap on "stop" and go to step 6.

6. Now go back into Terminal and type "ieraser" in the command line and watch the magic happen.
Now type bbupdater -f *.fls -e *.eep and watch how the firmware will be loaded into the flash.

7. You should now be able to have all your hardware working again, just need to unlock using your choice of app.

Tried this but failed half way through :(

SunVibe.net

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Green Bay iPhone & iPod Repair Service 920-SUNVIBE

I can definitely repair this for you. If you live in Green Bay just stop in my shop. Give me a call at 920-SUNVIBE That's if you didn't get fixed already. I'm guessing you did by the looks of your post :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.