Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Physiognome

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2003
Hello,

I currently use my PC's monitor as my PlayStation 2 display, using a KVM switch and VGA adapter. If I buy a 17" iMac, could I use its monitor in a similar fashion?

I have seen USB TV tuners with appropiate video input for the iMac, but these have a rather low resolution, 320x240 or so. Are there any for FireWire?

Will the different aspect ratio of the iMac monitor cause any problems?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
There is one tv tuner/analog video convertor combination for Mac that I've seen: Formac Studio TVR for $399. There are two convertors: Formac Studio and Hollywood DV Bridge. I believe that both retail around $249-$299.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Formac's and the Dazzle Bridge EyeTV and all kinds of stuff like that would work. HOWEVER, for video games there is usually a small delay that can reek havoc on your video gaming experiance. THe vga adapter works cause the moniter hooks right up to it and the moniter thinks it hooked up to a computer. The iMac has to capture the signal, then re-output it in software which cause that lag. Rather than buying a 200 dollar Analog to Digital Converter, just run down to walmart and get a 19 inch TV for 150 bucks.

Physiognome

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2003
Or I could get a Power Mac at the same speed and that 16:9 Samsung for about the same price. Not as sexy, but won't cost much extra and I can upgrade it later too.

Thanks for the note on lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.