Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:18 AM   #1
fjs08
macrumors 65816

purchase advice

Hi,
I've decided to go with the PB 15" loaded, etc.

I called our semi-local privately owned Mac store-not an "official" Apple Co. Store.

Guy said they had the computer and that they could match web pricing, HOWEVER (don't cha love it), if I wanted the free extra 512 MB ram for $ 40, it would take 2 weeks to get a specially made PB from Apple. HOWEVER, for
$ 100/, they could pull out and put in two 512 MB chips.

When I asked why the difference between $ 40 vs $ 200, the salesman said "they don't use the crappy ram (I'm quoting here) that the web resellers use." Now, is ram = ram or is there a difference?? I'm sure I could get by with 512 MB that comes with the PB for my hobby use (I really do like that term-it is so descriptive), but an extra 512 for $ 40 seems too good to pass up.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

Frank
fjs08 is offline   0
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Okay, I don't fully understand what you're saying.

What I think you're saying is that you have an option to either wait 2 weeks for a 15" PB with 512MB of RAM built in directly from Apple, or pay $100 to get 2 x 512MB pieces put into the 15" PB from the reseller (store) themselves. I don't see where you get your $200 figure from. Also, Apple would never sell you 512MB of RAM for $40.

Did the salesperson say that they don't use crappy RAM like Apple does, or does Apple not use crappy RAM like they do?

Anyway, RAM does matter in some way. Good RAM isn't as "glitchy", and so bad RAM may result in computer crashes. Its not an extreme level of crashing (ie: every day), but some people would rather have some decent RAM and not have m/any problems.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:24 PM   #3
fjs08
macrumors 65816

Abstract,

>>What I think you're saying is that you have an option to either wait 2 weeks for a 15" PB with 512MB of RAM built in directly from Apple<<

The guy said I could get an "extra 512" Apple factory-built, to bring the total up to 1 gig, and wait 2 weeks for the special order.

>> or pay $100 to get 2 x 512MB pieces put into the 15" PB from the reseller (store) themselves. I don't see where you get your $200 figure from. Also, Apple would never sell you 512MB of RAM for $40. <<

The salesman told me that as it sits now, the PB has 2, 256 dimms installed. To get me to a gig, he would have to pull both 256 dimms and replace them with 2, 512 mB dimms. So,
($ 100/dimm) x 2 dimms = $ 200. Sorry I wasn't too clear on that.

>>Did the salesperson say that they don't use crappy RAM like Apple does, or does Apple not use crappy RAM like they do?<<

This guy said folks like Club Mac use crappy ram. Club Mac uses PECO. Just got off the phone with an Apple store guy who kinda felt the same way. Said that the Club Mac's of the world may add 2nd tier ram????

>>Anyway, RAM does matter in some way.<<

Everyone does seem to agree that for hobby use, 512 as installed should be enough, so all this may be moot in the end???

Thanks.

Frank
fjs08 is offline   0
Old Jul 19, 2003, 01:08 PM   #4
iJon
macrumors 604

thats stupid if you ask me. i would think they would pull out the ram and resell the 256's and put in 2 512's. they are just doing that because they dont want to have 2 256's laying around to sell. i dont know what to tell you.

iJon
iJon is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers