Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well another one bites the dust for Sony. What with Fatal Inertia from KOEI seemingly becoming 360 only, now Namco up the stakes.

July 9, 2007 - Once thought to be a next generation multiplatform title, the PS3 version of Beautiful Katamari Damacy has apparently been canceled. The PS3 version of the game is missing from the latest release list in Japan's Weekly Famitsu magazine, with a footnote below the PS3 dates section stating that development has been halted on the Sony version. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 version is still listed for a Fall 2007 release.

Elsewhere, the magazine provides a short updated look at what is presumably a new 360-exclusive title. Bandai Namco seems to be working some hefty online and offline multiplayer options into the game. Online, players will be able to compete in groups of four to see who can collect items as ordered by the king. This battle mode offers you some dirty tricks, allowing you to ram your katamari into opponents, shaking their objects loose.

Offline, two players will be able to take part in a cooperative mode, attempting to guide a single katamari by coordinating control inputs. The game will also include split screen competitive play, although we're not sure of the player count just yet.

Famitsu doesn't provide a reason for the cancellation of the PS3 version of Beautiful Katamari. Hopefully Namco Bandai reps will offer some insights over the course of E3

What's surprising about this and other announcements over the past few weeks is that it's Eastern / Japanese developers that are either shunning the system or going multi-platform on previous exclusives.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ouch.

I'm not too keen on the games myself but wasn't this like a big hit on the PS2?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
That sucks for Sony.

I'd like Sony to survive, I really would. I would have been applauding if Katamari went multiplatform. 360-exclusive? I'm not complaining, but Sony's looking pretty bad right now.

I don't have either system yet; I'll buy whichever has more games in a year or so when I get a HDTV.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
That sucks for Sony.

I'd like Sony to survive, I really would. I would have been applauding if Katamari went multiplatform. 360-exclusive? I'm not complaining, but Sony's looking pretty bad right now.

I don't have either system yet; I'll buy whichever has more games in a year or so when I get a HDTV.

I read something last week that said it went from Ps3 to Wii.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
I like the idea of the game more than the game itself. I have all three games and enjoyed them... but never to the point of trying to achieve near-perfect scores-- no matter how disappointed the King was with me.

It sucks for Sony because it was one of those cool secondary titles I would pick up; Katamari alone is not a reason that makes me want to get a 360 though.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I find it kind of odd. I can see the big budget blockbusting games going exclusive since they would cost huge $$$ to produce and currently the PS3 has the smallest user base so taking expensive dev time to develop for both doesn't always make sense.

But Katamari doesn't seem big budget and wasn't it a hit in Japan? Namco does realize 360 has done sweet F.A in japan right?

Ah well, hated the first one so it doesn't really apply personally.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But Katamari doesn't seem big budget and wasn't it a hit in Japan? Namco does realize 360 has done sweet F.A in japan right?

Yes but it see's how well it's done in the west. In USA & Europe it's still consistently outselling PS3.

It's also why its jumped to Wii as that is hand's down the console of choice in Japan.

Wii & 360 is a safer money bet than PS3 i'm afraid.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Wii & 360 is a safer money bet than PS3 i'm afraid.

I'm surprised they're not releasing it for the Ps2 at this point.
Considering Wii will be a degradation in graphics from the 360 version (which will undoubtedly have more polygon count power and HD support), they might as well release it for the Ps2 as well and make lots of quick easy cash on there. ;)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I'm surprised they're not releasing it for the Ps2 at this point.
Considering Wii will be a degradation in graphics from the 360 version (which will undoubtedly have more polygon count power and HD support), they might as well release it for the Ps2 as well and make lots of quick easy cash on there. ;)

I hope they don't dumb it down so much for the Wii that the PS2 could run it. If the Wii is capable of roughly twice the power of the original Xbox, then shouldn't it be something like six times as powerful as the PS2?

They need to start exploiting some more of the Wii's hardware potential, not just the controls..

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I hope they don't dumb it down so much for the Wii that the PS2 could run it. If the Wii is capable of roughly twice the power of the original Xbox, then shouldn't it be something like six times as powerful as the PS2?

They need to start exploiting some more of the Wii's hardware potential, not just the controls..

Wii = 2-3x more than Gamecube, yes, that's been said and I agree with it.

Xbox though? No way. I believe that the Xbox is capable of more raw polygons as well as higher resolution/HD support than the Wii/Gamecube. Plus the cpu is much more powerful as well.

Ps2...I think the Gamecube may be more powerful than it, well, yes, that's obvious, actually - since they had to tone down things in RE4 to get them over to the Ps2.

I agree with what you say about using more of the hardware than the controls, but I fear that may not ever happen. ;)
RE4 [to slightly-better-than-RE4] is the ceiling on the Wii in terms of hardware, I'm afraid. It's a shame Nintendo didn't put a little more stock into the cpu/gpu designs. I know they went for cheap/cost effective, but there's gotta be options that wouldn't have raised cost much, yet would've increased what they could do with the system. :confused: I hate to say it but that's my Wii fear...cookie cutter ports on the system are too easy to do and too lucrative for 3rd parties to pass up.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005

The Wii is barely as powerfull as the Xbox. This has been proven as fact already.

Basically if the Wii wins this generation, we as consumers lose. It tells the developers they can be lazy, not innovate, produce slackware and still charge todays prices for it. Great, a half ass port and some mini-games.. Give me more!!:rolleyes:

Ed

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Basically if the Wii wins this generation, we as consumers lose. It tells the developers they can be lazy, not innovate, produce slackware and still charge todays prices for it. Great, a half ass port and some mini-games.. Give me more!!:rolleyes:

I think the Wii has obviously had a strong start, but I seriously doubt this fanfare will continue into the 2nd and 3rd years of the console's lifecycle.

Eventually, they'll be in stock and ready, and the games will start trickling out across the board. People will undoubtedly grow old of similar features in repackaged games, and notice that the other two systems (360 + Ps3) have killer graphics + sound and online play supported out of the box.

I'm not ready to call the Wii a "fad", but I don't expect it to lead forever.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Wii is barely as powerfull as the Xbox. This has been proven as fact already.

Ed

We lose? Sorry, I also find that developers being sloppy with coding and not optimising (4gb for 1 level in a game?).

The 360 is winning in this respect. Devs are cramming epic games onto single DVDs.

I like that. "we lose". If I'm losing by enjoying Metal Slug Anthology, Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Excite Truck and Mario Football more than anything I've played on a PS3 or 360 then so be it ;) I'm losing by saving money in buying systems 1/4 the price and games 1/2 price? The consumer in me just won.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
If there's ever a post about FFXII being multiplatform, kiss the PS3 goodbye.

It's the only reason I'm even considering getting one someday. :D

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
We lose? Sorry, I also find that developers being sloppy with coding and not optimising (4gb for 1 level in a game?).

The 360 is winning in this respect. Devs are cramming epic games onto single DVDs.

I like that. "we lose". If I'm losing by enjoying Metal Slug Anthology, Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Excite Truck and Mario Football more than anything I've played on a PS3 or 360 then so be it ;) I'm losing by saving money in buying systems 1/4 the price and games 1/2 price? The consumer in me just won.

Nobody is saying the Wii doesn't have good games. I think what Ed H is trying to say is that if the Wii wins this generation, all developers will do is slap stupid and useless motion controls on poorly coded games from the previous generation. There will still be good games as on any friggin game machine on the planet of course, but they have to be plentiful and constant.

I'm not expressing my point of view, just trying to clear up what Ed H might have meant.

If there's ever a post about FFXII being multiplatform, kiss the PS3 goodbye.

It's the only reason I'm even considering getting one someday.

Yeah, because the 6billion population of the world is all made up of copies of bobber205.

FF might have been the PS's killer app back in the 90s but for the PS2 and PS3, Final Fantasy is not as important, they have TONS of other great (greater than Final Fantasy) franchises to rely on. And these franchises are set upon the more popular genres of action, adventure and sports, not the ever fading and increasingly decadent JRPG genre...

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Nobody is saying the Wii doesn't have good games. I think what Ed H is trying to say is that if the Wii wins this generation, all developers will do is slap stupid and useless motion controls on poorly coded games from the previous generation. There will still be good games as on any friggin game machine on the planet of course, but they have to be plentiful and constant.

I'm not expressing my point of view, just trying to clear up what Ed H might have meant.

Yeah, because the 6billion population of the world is all made up of copies of bobber205.

FF might have been the PS's killer app back in the 90s but for the PS2 and PS3, Final Fantasy is not as important, they have TONS of other great (greater than Final Fantasy) franchises to rely on. And these franchises are set upon the more popular genres of action, adventure and sports, not the ever fading and increasingly decadent JRPG genre...

Well yeah. :rolleyes:

But think of the bad morale of even the other developers when essentially the "crown jewel" is stolen.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
This thread is a rerun, but I must slap Ed H and Zereodash for their usual praise of the XBox with its wimpy Celeron CPU by even the Wii's standards and GeForce 3 GPU from 1998...

Get with the times monkeys. A Geforce 3 is an outdated SLOW GPU that can't hold a candle to practically any of ATi's GPUs from this century, especially not the Wii's GPU...

*SLAP*

Hey zero2dash,

You state that you believe the Wii is 2-3x that of a Cube, but in the same post you basically state that the Wii is not capable of more than RE4. Errr, did you forget that RE4 for the Wii is all Cube and some PS2 graphics? Do you not see the contradiction in your statements? But I can see why you chose RE4, because it's considered by many as the pinnacle of graphics for last gen's consoles, and the Cube version clearly looked better than the PS2 version... Oh and it wasn't a XBox game.

<]=)

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
This thread is a rerun, but I must slap Ed H and Zereodash for their usual praise of the XBox with its wimpy Celeron CPU

Xbox was a P3 733...not a Celeron.

Get with the times monkeys. A Geforce 3 is an outdated SLOW GPU that can't hold a candle to practically any of ATi's GPUs from this century, especially not the Wii's GPU...

Xbox didn't have a GeForce 3.
It was an NV15.
GeForce 3 = NV10.
GeForce 4 = NV20.
It was more powerful than a GF3 but weaker than a GF4.

ATi's gpus have been pretty lackluster as of late. More enthusiasts will argue that games run better on nVidia cards, and they do.
I've owned both nVidia and ATi cards over the last 10+ years, and I've been pleased with both. But saying 'nVidia can't hold a candle to ATi the last century' is really untrue...just like Intel is demolishing AMD in the cpu department these days, nVidia is demolishing ATi in the gpu department. nVidia keeps on churning out higher powered, faster, cooler running gpus (with several DX10 compliant), meanwhile all ATi is doing is running in neutral, revving their engines on cards that run hotter, suck up more heat, and don't perform as well for the cost.

Hey zero2dash,

You state that you believe the Wii is 2-3x that of a Cube, but in the same post you basically state that the Wii is not capable of more than RE4.

No, I didn't say that. I said:

RE4 [to slightly-better-than-RE4] is the ceiling on the Wii in terms of hardware, I'm afraid.

Which is the truth.
2-3 more powerful than the Gamecube is a little higher than RE4.
RE4 was 100% of the Cube's power.

Is a game of that caliber anything to sneeze at? No.
It's still a testament to this day considering the hardware it was created on.

But as for being 'king of the hill', obviously that's a quick and easy no.

Errr, did you forget that RE4 for the Wii is all Cube and some PS2 graphics?

Separate Ways possibly was recoded to take advantage of the Flipper gpu, but no one knows. It could've been a straight Ps2 'Graphics Synthesizer' code port, but then again it could've been rewritten for the higher gpu on the Wii. That being said..it's still 'last gen' graphics. You're also giving a little more credit than credit that's due considering the game looked like that but only ran in 480p...truthfully, that's not much of a feat. The game still looks great and it still runs great, but any gpu from the last 4-5 years is fully capable of running RE4 in 480p.

But I can see why you chose RE4, because it's considered by many as the pinnacle of graphics for last gen's consoles, and the Cube version clearly looked better than the PS2 version... Oh and it wasn't a XBox game.

If it would've been created or ported and optimized to the Xbox, the Gamecube one would've been bastardized for looking poor, sorry. Again, I bring up 480p. The NV15 is more than adequately powerful enough to run the game at 720p and that would've made a huge difference.

I love RE4 with all my heart, and I always will. But at the same time, I've always wished a more powerful console got the RE4 treatment, and it appears that my wish (gameplay wise) has come true with RE5 which looks quite a bit more impressive than RE4 in this day and age. ;)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Thought I posted in this thread why the PS3 is not getting Katamari.....well its not because they are making a new IP for the system which is cool with me.

super sponge buddy......or something along those lines

Bless

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
This thread was about Katamari... :eek:

Sorry, I have to ramble at zero2dash a bit..

Actually it was a Celeron/P3 hybrid. A little of both if you want to be more technical. I just don't give it that much credit. The Celeron half clearly pulls it down. It's closest to a mobile Celeron with a P3 like cache. :)

I know about the GPU also, but what you state really doesn't help the XBox's performance much. I was referring only to the GF3, not all of NVidia's GPUs. I'm not that crazy. ;) I've always leaned more towards them than ATI, especially since they didn't cheat on the color FPU and have always been better for Maya because of it.

---

So you "agree" that the Wii is 2-3x the Cube's performance. Sorry I missed that one. :p

I state; "but in the same post you basically state that the Wii is not capable of more than RE4."

You state;"RE4 [to slightly-better-than-RE4] is the ceiling on the Wii in terms of hardware, I'm afraid."

Stating that RE4 is the ceiling of the Wii in term's of hardware says to me you believe the Wii's not capable of more than it. What am I missing? :)

---

RWii4 uses the "same" engine as the Cube. Nothing visually has been updated for the Wii's superior GPU. Besides widescreen support, all focus was put on the controls. Just like Zelda TP, which also looks great, even better than RE4 in some areas. You just don't want to give the Wii a chance graphically, do you? :) Haven't you seen the newer shots of Super Mario Galaxy? It's modern shading techniques look nice.

Yes your GF3 derivative can handle 720p, but so can the GPU in the Wii. Of course a newer GPU like the one found in the Wii can handle more detail at that rez than let's say "any" gaming GPU from the ninties. Hey, isn't the GPU found in the XBox from the nineties... :eek:

BTW, most games started shipping at 480p (640x480) back about 94 on the PC side. Mac's much earlier. So your statement about the last 4-5 years is kind of an understatement. :p I've been gaming on PCs since the DOS 2.0 days, so I'm not noob to this HD-bandwagon that most younger peeps seem to be so impressed with. *yawn* All I see these days are inferior screens when it comes to color and compression artifacts galore. The digital move kind of sucks at the moment. :)

Here's me being a broken record again and again: The Wii's GPU was developed during the same time period as the X360's GPU. Like the X360's GPU, it's a modern GPU compared to what's found in the XBox. Now why do you browser tabs not understand that a this hi-rez thing isn't new and that a modern GPU is way more capable than a GPU from 1998?

I know that for some things higher rezes are better, but believe me, it does not make the game. I went down that path for years and my favorite games are still the lower-rez ones. MK DS with its lo-rez, is by far the best racing game I've played. For me, being able to aim quickly and precisely with the Wiimote was a much better upgrade than simply upping the rez from 852x480 to 1280x720. I don't aim real guns with my thumb, do you?

I can game at 2560x1600 with my equipment. Does it improve upon the gameplay? Would that rez help out a game like RE4. Nope! Just imagine if they could make RE5 look just as good as a 480i DVD, now that would be impressive, but certainly not possible with any GPU/CPU gaming configuration of today.

<]=)

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
If the PS3 fails, we know the Wii doesn't have the longevity of the XBOX and you can't really do a Wii 2.0 as easily as MS could do a WiiMote-360, so that would leave MS marching into the next-gen alone, unhindered and with no competition.

The 360 is brilliant, but ONLY because of Sony's pressure forcing them to focus hard on it. The industry needs the competition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.