Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I read somewhere that owners of glossy screens love them at first due to the extra contrast, etc... but sometimes get tired of them (or annoyed with them?) after a while, due to glare, etc.

I was hoping to hear comments on this topic from "real" :) owners of glossy screened Macs, to see if this was true or not.

Thanks!

Retired
May 16, 2006
I wanted a matte screen, but needed the portability/price of a MB(not Pro)...it is nice, but gets quite smudgy, which is annoying. However, I am never really in a situation where glare is a problem...

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
I wanted a matte screen, but needed the portability/price of a MB(not Pro)...it is nice, but gets quite smudgy, which is annoying. However, I am never really in a situation where glare is a problem...

I have the new SR MBP with the glossy screen and love it! This is my first glossy screen and the color contrast is spectacular! I'd only recommend it to those who won't find themselves in situations where they'll encounter a frequent glare, though.

BlueArctos

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
Been Glossy for 2 years and still going strong. From what I have read and heard from others, the situation is opposite of what you describe. In most cases, people who DON'T like glossy but get it for one reason or another (Wife, Work, Availability) mumble and grumble for a day or so until they get really into the screen and its look.

Glossy will have some reflections in certain situations. There are people who see these reflections once and completely forget about them. Then there are people who see these reflections and just can't constitutionally forget about them, it grinds at their subconscious even.

Besides, MBP glossy screens are much more subdued than my PC glossy screens (My PC glossy screens are like mirrors compared to MBP glossy screens which are more like Glass Windows, TAKE THAT AERO).

Both types of screens are really quite beautiful though, as long as you don't fall into the small percentage of people who are so turned off by the thought of reflections that using a glossy screen actually results in mental and physical strain. Also, I've never really understood the screen color accuracy issue, I just calibrate the screen on my own with a Huey Pro and everything is perfect anyway!

brettanderson

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
love the glossy screen, though I also like the new matte on the SR MBP, as it seems slightly more glossy then the previous matte MBP's

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I love it everyday and I will never get a matte screen on a MacBook again. The only problem I have with it is that it does get quite smudgy, touching it will leave a big mark, but cleaning it is by far the easiest thing ever. Just a few wipes with a chamois cloth and it is smooth and pretty.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I have both glossy screens and matte screens all around my house, From TVs to external monitors.

The ONLY gripe there is about glossy screens is that smudges are CLEARLY seen right away. However a quick wipe and PRESTO! All gone!

The glare is really not an issue as people try to make it out to be. If you honestly feel like being a hippie and sitting outside in the baking sun (Its freaking 100 degrees outside right now!) with your laptop it might annoy you. However in both situations whether you are outside with a matte screen or a glossy screen, in mid-day it will be hard to see the screen regardless.

Currently my MacBook Pro is a glossy screen. No regrets here. :) I wouldnt trade it for a matte screen either :)

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
get a good cloth and the smudges are not a problem. And after a few weeks all your co-workers will know better than to test the WRATH THAT IS SMUDGING MY LAPTOP! But again keep a good cloth in your bag and all is well.

That said, I absolutely will never buy another matte screen again. :apple: == <3

beginner0

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
I never noticed glare, but then I've only taken it out of my home once so far. It is very good compared to my old laptop which has a matte screen. Also cleaning is easy. I use some glasses cloth to wipe it and it feels smooth, I like that feel :rolleyes:

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I love glossy! But then I knew I did before I bought the MBP as my little Sony T2XP had one. I can't imagine why, for the vast majority of people, there would be dislike towards this screen type - there are no prominent reflections and the contrast is great.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
I like mine but like psychofreak said it's a dirt magnet! It really attracts fingerprints like nothing else and its a bugger to clean I find...

Hard-Hat-Mac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Philly Burbs
yeah i love the glossy it gives the display that extra punch that really makes people say wow! I would agree that you need some type of microfiber cloth to clean it. You can get them cheap at glasses stores. I used a swiffer cloth at first which is good for dust, but the microfiber was best for the screen.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i love my glossy screen, i use my laptop mostly for podcast watching, music searching the web, facebooking youtubing and sometimes to watch a movie. i htink teh screen is soooo good for all those things, but then yesterday i had to read this book from my university's online library becaus eteh book i needed seems to be soldout everywhere and wow!!!! my eyes were hurting, i could not concentrate it feels like the letters are just fly:Ding on a the screen and the white background is wayyyyyyy back...that was after half an hour of reading though other than that i completely love it

The Red Wolf

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Occi Dens Pacifica
Matte

You could not pay me to work on a glossy screen. Colour contrast may be nice, but the glare is really distracting. Especially for one who wears glasses. I do admit that the MBP screens are much better in the subtly of the glossiness compared to other PC laptops. I work a repair bench and can't stand them when the come in.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Uh-oh... I just got back from Costco and Office Depot. Neither of them carry Apple computers, but both stock glossy screen laptops (HP, Sony, etc).

This was my first "good look" at a glossy screen, and I'm sad to say that I wasn't that crazy about them. I'll admit that some looked better than others, but I could see myself (like a mirror!) as well as everything else behind me in the stores.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to get used to that on a daily basis. :(

stork

macrumors member
May 21, 2007
I love glossy!
The only problem is smudges, but when your mac is switched on the birght screen makes sure no dust or smudges can be seen, so when its in use theres no problem.
Just keeps some screen cleans and a cloth nearby, but the glossy screen is ace, and when in use there are no problems.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
I neither like nor dislike the screen. Dust and smudges show up more than on a matte screen but that is offset by the vibrant colour of the glossy.

I do have a pc laptop with a glossy screen which has problems with glare and reflections but for some reason the Apple screens dont suffer as much. I think the reason may be the Apple screens are a lot brighter.

However, I will say that I'm glad took the plunge and bought a MacBook. I ALMOST didnt due to the bad PC glossy screen but I went ahead anyway and havent looked back.

optimus prime

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
it's my first glossy screen and i love it. the only thing i dont like is trying to get smudges off. but other than that it's great. glare isnt that big of a problem for me.:D

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
love it. just dont touch the screen with your hands and you wont have smudges. i use a micro fiber clothe to wipe dust off and it works like magic. go glossy or go home.

brettanderson

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Out of curiosity, why are people touching their screens making smudges so much, is it just by accident, or is there a reason?

starlabs

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
My last PC laptop was a Dell Inspiron with a 17" glossy screen. LOVED the screen.

My MacBook has a glossy screen (obviously). LOVED the screen.

My new MacBook Pro has been specifically ordered with the glossy screen option. LOVE the screen.

Glossy all the way for me... I can zone out almost any problems with reflection. Or move my MBP so that the reflection is no longer an issue. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.