Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PmattF

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
I am on the phone with an AT&T representative who says that incoming calls are supposed to be able to interrupt EDGE data transfers. He says that it seems that it works on some phones, but not on others (like mine), and that they are waiting for Apple to fix this in a software update.

All the reviews and forum posts I have seen on this say that phone calls do not interrupt EDGE transfers, and that this is inherent to EDGE.

I have a friend with an iPhone who says that calls do interrupt on his.

For me, calls almost never get through when the phone is checking mail or loading a web page over EDGE, and definitely do not ever get through youtube over EDGE.

What is everybody else finding?

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
On my phone, if safari has finished loading a page over edge, calls will come through

If I interrupt safari from loading a page and don't go back to the home screen, the calls go to voice mail.

If data transfer is active, calls go to the voice mail.

Some phones that are class A devices can be interrupted during a data transfer over EDGE, the iPhone does not fall into that category.

fallingskye

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Miami
On my phone, if safari has finished loading a page over edge, calls will come through

If I interrupt safari from loading a page and don't go back to the home screen, the calls go to voice mail.

If data transfer is active, calls go to the voice mail.

Some phones that are class A devices can be interrupted during a data transfer over EDGE, the iPhone does not fall into that category.

This is what I have been noticing too. And from what I can tell if the person doesn't leave a message, you'll never know they called.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Funny, because I've tried calling my iPhone from a landline a few times while a web page was actively loading in Safari using EDGE to test this, and the incoming call pops up and interrupts the web page loading every single time. I wonder why this seems to work for some people and not for others?

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Funny, because I've tried calling my iPhone from a landline a few times while a web page was actively loading in Safari using EDGE to test this, and the incoming call pops up and interrupts the web page loading every single time. I wonder why this seems to work for some people and not for others?

I've done my calling from a cell phone to test, perhaps it makes a difference?

fallingskye

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Miami
I was testing from a landline before I wrote my previous post and it wasn't working. Could it be location?

copland007

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
This is the way mine works as well, I was calling from a voip line for my testing.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I was testing from a landline before I wrote my previous post and it wasn't working. Could it be location?

Maybe it is a regional thing since there seems to be no other rhyme or reason as to why it works for some but not for others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.