Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
(to start, this is a brand new Mac Pro)

For my work, I had to take a bunch of Mpeg2 files from a guys camera and edit them into a short movie. Well, the mpeg2 files wouldn't load in iMovie as they were, so I got VisualHub to convert them into DV files.

The files converted fine, and the new DV files will play in Quicktime, but when I drag them into iMovie, the show up with the thumbnail and I can see the movie preview still, but when I try to play it in iMovie's preview window, it's just a white screen with audio.

I tried exporting it from imovie then, and the exported movie will play in Quicktime as well. I dragged that movie into the iMovie window and it loads in the timeline. I can movie the cursor back and forth and see the movie in the preview window, but when I hit play, its back to the white screen and just the audio.

At one point, iMovie was working (I think) with these videos. But yesterday at some point, I installed the DivX software so I could view a bunch of .avi files that I had. Those worked, but I think that might have been what caused imovie to stop working properly.

So, I've tried removing the DivX codecs from the library/quicktime/ folder, and that didn't do anything. Also, there is a DivX icon in my System Preferences I can't remove either. So, to try and remedy this, I downloaded some recommended codec packs for Intel Macs. This hasn't seemed to change anything.

So, here I am, stuck trying to make this movie work in iMovie and have no idea what to do. Anyone have any ideas on this?

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
(to start, this is a brand new Mac Pro)

For my work, I had to take a bunch of Mpeg2 files from a guys camera and edit them into a short movie. Well, the mpeg2 files wouldn't load in iMovie as they were, so I got VisualHub to convert them into DV files.

The files converted fine, and the new DV files will play in Quicktime, but when I drag them into iMovie, the show up with the thumbnail and I can see the movie preview still, but when I try to play it in iMovie's preview window, it's just a white screen with audio.

I tried exporting it from imovie then, and the exported movie will play in Quicktime as well. I dragged that movie into the iMovie window and it loads in the timeline. I can movie the cursor back and forth and see the movie in the preview window, but when I hit play, its back to the white screen and just the audio.

At one point, iMovie was working (I think) with these videos. But yesterday at some point, I installed the DivX software so I could view a bunch of .avi files that I had. Those worked, but I think that might have been what caused imovie to stop working properly.

So, I've tried removing the DivX codecs from the library/quicktime/ folder, and that didn't do anything. Also, there is a DivX icon in my System Preferences I can't remove either. So, to try and remedy this, I downloaded some recommended codec packs for Intel Macs. This hasn't seemed to change anything.

So, here I am, stuck trying to make this movie work in iMovie and have no idea what to do. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Will the mpeg2 files play in quicktime? If so, and you have qt pro, then load them into qt, then export them as .mov.

now drag the .mov into iMovie and see if that works.

Best of luck,

Brian

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Will the mpeg2 files play in quicktime? If so, and you have qt pro, then load them into qt, then export them as .mov.

now drag the .mov into iMovie and see if that works.

Best of luck,

Brian

The MPEG2 files I have will NOT play in quicktime or iMovie. But, the bigger problem is that I successfully converted them all to DV and MP4 files that play fine in Quicktime, and also can be loaded into imovie, but I movie still only gives the audio and the white screen (but shows the thumbnail preview). The cursor goes across the movie timeline like normal, the sound plays, it even exports and plays in quicktime, but I just can't see what I'm doing in imovie.

I also use QTP to export the DV movies as .mov, and the same thing. They work EVERY WHERE except the iMovie preview screen.

So, as near as I can figure, it's some sort of overlay driver/codec for iMovie. If this was WindowsXP, I'd know where to start looking, but right now I am out of ideas to try.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I guess you could try MPEG StreamClip and see if it converts your mpeg2 files into formats readable by iMovie. Just out of curiosity, was the footage shot by a hard drive based camcorder?

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Yes, they were shot on a harddrive based camera, and it's driving me bananas. They were all imported into windows, and then chopped up in Premiere Elements, and then given to me as MPEG2's.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Have you tried importing them into MPEG Streamclip yet?

I guess I would also suggest trying MPEGStreamClip (free) from http://www.squared5.com, and see if it makes a slightly different DV file of them.

You may can also re-install iMovie, but google that first and see if it's possible, and how to do it.

Seems like you might be able to do it though.

also, to get rid of the DivX stuff completely, you could use Finder to search DivX and delete any ohter files that come up that may be in other locations.

Best,

Brian

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I am onto a solution I think, but I need to test it out. I'll post my results later, in case someone else runs into this, it'll come up in a search.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Well, I'm not totally sure, but its working now, and I think what it was is that my imovie format wasn't right when I made a new file, and also I was just dragging the clips in from the finder instead of importing them from the imovie window.

I really don't know, video formats and codecs are very confusing to me. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.