Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 21, 2003, 02:36 AM   #1
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Memory for Rev D iMac?

I just bought my mom a Rev D (Strawberry) iMac. She doesn't know I'm switching her, but at age 74 who has time to mess with Wndows? Anyway, it currently has 64MB RAM and I want her to use OS X for the ease of use factor. Before anybody says anything, yes I know it'll run on the slow side. All she uses her computer for is email, web surfing, writing letters, scanning, and printing. So even a slow computer will be okay. Anway, I do want to max out the RAM but I'm confused about where it maxes out. Lowendmac.com says it varies from machine to machine--some max at 384 and others will do 640 depending on whether a particular machine will recognize a 256 chip. Does anybody have any further information on this? Real world experience? Anything?
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Jul 21, 2003, 04:05 AM   #2
Nermal

According to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43099 it maxes out at 512 MB, and appears to take a single 512 stick (I'm unsure about this, don't the iMacs have two memory slots?)
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jul 21, 2003, 09:24 AM   #3
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

That's a different model. This one here is it.

Apple says it maxes out at 128MB, but isn't there an upper and lower location for memory--with the lower being the one that the user can put memory into? I had one of these open once and that's how I remember it. I guess the question then is will the upper slot take a 256MB chip?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:04 AM   #4
britboy
macrumors 68030

According to apple-history.com, the Rev. D iMac maxes out at 256 MB RAM.

That would be sufficient to run OS X, but it's going to rather slow. Mind you, at 74 I don't know that that would be a problem
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:34 PM   #5
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by britboy
That would be sufficient to run OS X, but it's going to rather slow. Mind you, at 74 I don't know that that would be a problem
Exactly!
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:02 AM   #6
strider42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Horrortaxi

Apple says it maxes out at 128MB, but isn't there an upper and lower location for memory--with the lower being the one that the user can put memory into? I had one of these open once and that's how I remember it. I guess the question then is will the upper slot take a 256MB chip?
the upper slot will easily take a 256 meg chip. the lower slot wlll take one two if its low profile. crucial only sells low profile chips. I promise it will work. 512 is the max. Apple specs are published with whats available at the time and never updated again. You can safely ignore them. The only thing limiting it form taking more is the size ram chips available.

The upper slot is the user accesible one. the other one you can get at, but you have to pull up the processor card to get at it.
strider42 is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:03 AM   #7
strider42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Horrortaxi

the upper slot will easily take a 256 meg chip. the lower slot wlll take one two if its low profile. crucial only sells low profile chips. I promise it will work. 512 is the max. Apple specs are published with whats available at the time and never updated again. You can safely ignore them. The only thing limiting it form taking more is the size ram chips available.
strider42 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2003, 02:13 AM   #8
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Thanks for all the help. I think I have the memory situation taken care of now. Moving on to hard drives--the 6GB that's in it is enough space for anything ma wants to do, but it's a slow drive so I'm thinking of a faster one with a larger buffer (to aide with virtual memory since RAM maxes out kind of low). Is this one of the machines where you have to partition the drive with a <8GB partiion for the OS? It's not a problem to do so, but I don't want to confuse her with 2 drive icons if I don't have to.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers