Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1
hatchet92882
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to hatchet92882
Angry G3 Imac Delimmas

Is it true that my mac(333,256ram,panther,6g) can't use new itunes, quicktime, and have trouble viewing webpages??
Peace, Love, and Happiness
hatchet92882 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet92882 View Post
Is it true that my mac(333,256ram,panther,6g) can't use new itunes, quicktime, and have trouble viewing webpages??
I wouldn't go quite that far.

Now, I can't speak for the absolute latest version of Quicktime and iTunes, but I do know that you can use recent versions of those programs without issue.

I installed iLife '06 on my daughter's iMac G3 without any trouble. It's a lime 333 MHz system with 288 MB of RAM, 13 GB Hard Drive, and 6 MB of Video RAM.

That included some version of Quicktime 7 and iTunes 7 (from the updaters I ran afterwards). I don't recall the exact revisions, but they were 7.x something. The only application that refused to install was GarageBand.

I do think that the installer did initially deny that I could install it on that computer. But, I did get all of the modules other than GarageBand installed by navigating the DVD and running the installer for each program.

If I remember correctly, to see the individual installers, you need to right-click (or control-click) on the iLife icon / installer. Then, choose show package contents. You should find the installers in there.

Just a note, since my system lacks a DVD-ROM drive, I installed iLife '06 over a network using the DVD drive in another computer. Basically, I shared the DVD drive on my computer over the network. I then browsed to the networked / shared drive and ran the installer directly on the iMac G3.

As for web browsing, I see no issue there at all. The computer is running OS 10.3.9 and running the latest Safari release for that version of OS X.

Additionally, I have FireFox 2.x and a few other web browsers on there as well.

The Internet works fine, and looks like it should.

It all works fine.
flyinmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs