Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 21, 2003, 09:58 AM   #1
fjs08
macrumors 65816

Mac car adapter

Hi,

Well, I have my 15" PB on order, now for the "extras." My wife has designs on this thing<g>. She is asking about a car adapter. We make trips here and there and she wants to watch dvd movies. Buddy who has an iBook bought an adapter from Radio Shack. The male end goes into the cigarette lighter while the female end is basically an electrical recepticle that you plug the Mac into. Can this cause any problems with the Powerbook from an electrical viewpoint??? I've read that it isn't always as obviously safe as one would think.

Thanks.

Frank
fjs08 is offline   0
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:36 AM   #2
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to patrick0brien Send a message via Yahoo to patrick0brien
-fjs08

I think his solution is a little bit disturbing due to how many conversions he's doing to the power supply that aren't necessary. The 12vDC supply from the car is being inverted and transformed (step-up) to 110vAC, then that in turn is being tranformed to what the iBook needs.

Yes, this can be dangerous. I'd suggest this, it's not cheap, but it's the right way to go about it.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:10 AM   #3
MacBoyX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to MacBoyX Send a message via Yahoo to MacBoyX
I use something called the Xtend Airline/Auto adater. It cost me abt 70 bucks and it has a cigarette lighter adapter on one end and plugs for ALL kinds of laptops on the other including one for my Apple.

It works great. I bought mine at iGo.com.

MacBoyX

MacBook 2.0GHz Black, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD
iMac G5 2.1GHz, 1.5GB RAM 250GB HD
MacBoyX is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers