Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Not sure if this is a hardware/software question. But does anyone know if there is anyway to transfer files from a Digital Camera, via USB, to an iPod for storage reasons. Those little cards are expensive and I have a huge hard drive in that iPod available. Would be great if you did not want to lug a laptop around on trips. Is it supported or is it possible to update an iPod so it would allow this. Would be very cool.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
I would say not. Both devices (iPod and camera) need a computer to do the actual work (download / uploading / deleting). The camera does not have a "send" mode, just a "ready to communicate" mode.

I do think it is a very cool idea though! :D

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
What kind of memory card do you need? Crucial was selling their 128 MB compact flash cards for $30... I bought one, works wonderfully... dunno how much space you're looking for though... I could take about 250 pictures at high enough resolution to print 8x10s out through iPhoto with no warning... might check places like pricewatch too.

sfplay~

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2003
peer to peer

One of the major selling points onf firewire is that unlike USB1.1 and 2.0 firewire is peer to peer (meaning it does not require a computer to mediate beween two devices). So in theory if you had a firewire camera will the ability to transfer files onto a mass-storage device you should be fine.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: peer to peer

Originally posted by sfplay~
One of the major selling points onf firewire is that unlike USB1.1 and 2.0 firewire is peer to peer (meaning it does not require a computer to mediate beween two devices). So in theory if you had a firewire camera will the ability to transfer files onto a mass-storage device you should be fine.

in theory perhaps; but i think in practice you'd have a hell of a time getting the iPod to go into disk mode for the camera--

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.