Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
from SuperDuper!'s User's Guide, which is available in the dmg on their site:

Restoring from a bootable backup
First, if you’ve backed up to an internal partition, you can start up from it (hold down the Option key when you start your Macintosh and select the backup partition), and then use SuperDuper! to restore the data to the original location. (This works just like backing up, above.)

Similarly, if you’ve stored a bootable backup on an external FireWire drive, and your Macintosh is capable of starting up from FireWire, hold down the Option key when you start, select the FireWire drive, and use SuperDuper!
to perform the restore.

Restoring when you can’t start up from your backup
If you have a backup image or volume, but can’t start up from it, you can still restore using your OS X install disc. To do so:
• Start up from the OS X Install disc.
• When the Installer starts, choose “Disk Utility” from its Application menu.
• Once the Disk Utility starts, select the drive you want to restore to, and switch to the Restore tab.

Note
If you’re restoring from a sparse image, as in the following screen shot [see attached picture], first open the image by choosing File > Open Image... in Disk Utility. Then, use the volume that appears (e.g.“Backup”, below) as the source.​

• Follow the instructions on the Restore tab: the backup created by SuperDuper is fully compatible with Disk Utility’s Restore function.
• Once the backup has been restored, restart your computer with Option held down, and select it as your startup volume.

Recovery accomplished!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 1,309

Shrewdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
Booting from a sparse Image possible???

Hi,

I have a 200GB main HD on my MBP running Leopard and an external Firewire 160GB HD. My main HD is only 50% full.

Is it possible to create a bootable sparse disk image on my external drive? Or perhaps make this external drive bootable and put a sparse disk image on to it?

How would I go about this?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.