Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nomad68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Hi all: This is my first post on MacRumors, on my first Mac since the old 'color Mac' in college (the c2d blackbook is just a _bit_ faster). This is a great site, & the forums have been consistently helpful in making the switch from Windows. (a plug, though, for my old Thinkpad 600e, which is still going strong 9 years later, but will now be for the kids).

My question is, is there a simple animation program for the Mac, ideally free or near-free, allowing a kid to scan in some drawings and do simple 'cut out' animation? That is, take each small drawing and simply move it, frame by frame, ideally against a scanned-in background and with some music? My son (6 yrs. old) would dearly love his custom-designed Darth Vader (3 heads) to be able to slug it out with his 'good guy robot' (5 legs). I promised him, rashly it turns out, that it would be easy to do on our new computer. Nothing out there seems to be less than $50 for the Mac.

Thanks for your help! I checked the forums and didn't see any threads that really helped with this. If anyone knows a PC program, that would work too, since I installed XP on Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.