Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Hey, I'll be a sophomore in high school this year and am looking to get a new mac for the rest of high school (and maybe college). I was planning on getting a macbook or macbook pro, but then I thought maybe I only need an old powerbook. I plan on doing some light video editing (although if it becomes a problem my dad has a computer with the ability to do that) and maybe flash. Obviously word processing and internet browsing. Any thoughts? Let me know if you need more info. Thanks

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if you're thinking of saving yourself by getting a used powerbook, you can very easily go that route. however, you can also go to the refurbished store, where apple has a variety of intel mac laptops for reasonable prices. a base 1.83 ghz core duo macbook (which i think will suit your needs just fine) starts at $799. whatever you decide, i think sticking with an intel-based mac is the best decision, especially if you want this laptop to last through college.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Thats not a bad idea. I found a refurbished macbook pro, however it is core duo and not c2d or sr. Anyone think this would be a good choice

Keep in mind I would upgrade the memory to 2GB and the hard drive

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
CD vs C2D

I think you will be fine with the Core Duo Macbook Pro. The C2D will give you better speeds but if price is a problem then the Core Duo should be fine.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Thats not a bad idea. I found a refurbished macbook pro, however it is core duo and not c2d or sr. Anyone think this would be a good choice

Keep in mind I would upgrade the memory to 2GB and the hard drive

Don't get a CD MacBook Pro. I honestly think they are awful. C2D MBPs are fine, just not the CD ones. From my experience, as well as the experience of others, they ran very hot and had many manufacturing flaws (warped displays and failing components are two examples). Honestly, I'm really disappointed with my parent's MacBook Pro. I've used the C2D and the SR models, and they are much, much better.

My recommendation is to have a look for a C2D MacBook. They generally have brilliant build quality, are obscenely fast, and is ridiculously inexpensive for what you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.