Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:05 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Exchange Options for iPhone

Techworld reports on two options for Microsoft Exchange synchronization and support for the iPhone.

The two include, Visto and Synchronica. Due to Apple's reluctance to open the iPhone to 3rd party applications, both services provide different approaches:

Quote:
Visto, for instance, which usually writes small handset-based applications to allow its email sync functions to work, will use a desktop PC-based application to forward corporate email to the iPhone
Quote:
[Synchronica's] Mobile Gateway doesn't require system administrators to open ports in the firewall or install Exchange connectors. Instead it uses a separate server, located behind the firewall, that sucks in email via Outlook Web Access, already activated on many corporate email accounts.
Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2
BostonMerlin
macrumors newbie

my gut says apple will come out with active exchange sync sooner rather than later.. and these 3rd party solutions will not be needed.
BostonMerlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:30 PM   #3
jamesnajera
macrumors 6502

BostonMerlin, I agree with you.

Also a note, if IMAP can't be setup for you or you need the email pushed to you instantly, because 15 minutes is not going to cut it. You could always setup a yahoo push account and then have your exchange admin forward a copy of all your email to the yahoo account.
jamesnajera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:32 PM   #4
matticus008
macrumors 68040

If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via (Typo: IMAP) every couple minutes?

The idea that setting a one minute mail retrieval time is inadequate has always seemed absurd to me. Email is not instantaneous, and depending on network conditions, can take several minutes to get to your email server in the first place; . You should never rely on non-realtime communication methods for things that require immediate response. Use the phone or IM if it's that important.

As a busy professional, I feel I'm qualified to say, "chill out." The extra 30 seconds to get that email message are not going to kill you. I guess I don't see the advantage of push email. There are so many other improvements that could have been made to make the experience better.

Last edited by matticus008; Jul 16, 2007 at 12:45 AM.
matticus008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 04:59 PM   #5
DrVest
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 View Post
If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via POP every couple minutes?

The idea that setting a one minute mail retrieval time is inadequate has always seemed absurd to me. Email is not instantaneous, and depending on network conditions, can take several minutes to get to your email server in the first place; . You should never rely on non-realtime communication methods for things that require immediate response. Use the phone or IM if it's that important.

As a busy professional, I feel I'm qualified to say, "chill out." The extra 30 seconds to get that email message are not going to kill you. I guess I don't see the advantage of push email. There are so many other improvements that could have been made to make the experience better.
We have an OWA site but I don't know how to set-up an application to grab if via POP. Can someone please explain ?
DrVest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:13 PM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via POP every couple minutes?

Exchange does not support POP. Exchange supports its own proprietary protocol through Outlook and the POS MacOS X app, Entourage 2004. Exchange also supports IMAP, but your IT staff has to enable it. However, many Exchange administrators will not allow Outlook or IMAP access outside the firewall. In that event, Outlook Web Access is your only option.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:42 PM   #7
keithmccall
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVest View Post
We have an OWA site but I don't know how to set-up an application to grab if via POP. Can someone please explain ?
You need to enable IMAP support on Exchange 200x, and open the appropriate ports in your firewall.

See the Exchange Client Access Guide but don't forget to open the same ports in your firewall.

Keith McCall
CTO, Azaleos
keithmccall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 07:29 AM   #8
TPALTony
macrumors regular

Quote:
If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via (Typo: IMAP) every couple minutes?

Honestly, I agree. But 15 minutes (the minimum interval iPhone Mail.app will let you set) is too long. The quickest and easiest fix Apple could introduce would be to add 10, 5, 2 and 1 minute retrieval options. I suspect it's set to 15 minimum to keep ATT happy that people's iPhones won't be hammering the EDGE network. :-)

be well

t
TPALTony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:55 AM   #9
juan9999
macrumors newbie

Are there any desktop outlook to IMAP redirectors that people have gotten to work?
juan9999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion